Port Liberty Bayonne Check-in

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We live about 1.5 hrs from cruise port and have rented from avis/budget several times.   For us it has worked out cheaper than Uber or Lyft.   

If traveling with just 2 people then it is easiest to return car and take uber to the port with your luggage.   

We have pre-arranged Uber for a 9 am pick up at port several times and works great.  The driver is usually there a couple minutes early so we just walk off ship and jump in their car to Avis for rental to drive home.

Although door to door is nice too!

Do you order the Uber from the rental office when you get there?

How long do you have to wait?

Do you drop the rental on 22nd Street in Bayonne?

On 7/25/2023 at 12:20 PM, Another_Critic said:

Do people usually reserve an Uber ahead of time or just book on the spot?

The only time I reserved, (the day before), I didn't know the reserve tacked on $20+ to the cost of the ride. I won't do that again.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

The only time I reserved, (the day before), I didn't know the reserve tacked on $20+ to the cost of the ride. I won't do that again.

I pay the fee to reserve in advance, and roundtrip Philadelphia suburbs to Cape Liberty is still cheaper than two weeks in the parking garage.  By a lot.  (at least partly because the Uber charge includes gas and tolls - it beats it on just the $30 a day without factoring those expenses in!)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, artvlay said:

Do you order the Uber from the rental office when you get there?

How long do you have to wait?

Do you drop the rental on 22nd Street in Bayonne?

Either myself or hubby would order the uber as soon as we were pulling into the Avis/Budget parking lot and never waited more than 10 minutes for pick up.    

Yes, we would drop off and pick up rental from Avis located at 180 E 22nd st.    It is about a 10 minute drive to the port.    And depending on what time you do check in, hopefully not a lot of traffic. 

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I usually pre-order Uber a couple weeks before date needed.    For me that $20 +/- reserve fee is worth it as they usually arrive earlier than reserved time and it is much nicer to know they are there than having to order and wait 20 to 30 minutes for Uber to pick you up at the port as they are all very busy that morning.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I never used Uber so forgive my question.

So the fee that I see posted is not the final price? They tack on an additional $20?

What is considered advanced? Is it an hour before? A day? A week?

40 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I never used Uber so forgive my question.

So the fee that I see posted is not the final price? They tack on an additional $20?

What is considered advanced? Is it an hour before? A day? A week?

If you have uber app you can do a mock booking by hitting reserve enter locations, date and time and you will receive a price.   That should be your total charge with the reserve fee included, if I remember correctly.

If renting a car, just order uber while dropping off vehicle to avoid the fee.

To uber from the port to rental agency you could order uber as your walking off the ship or in luggage area.

@artvlay  Renting a car for Port Liberty is a new idea to me.  Is Enterprise at the port? Or do you use a Bayonne or Newark location?

For anyone else, what rental car companies are convenient to Port Liberty?

I will be flying into Newark airport a few days ahead of the cruise and renting a car.  Any suggestions?  I was going to rent a car at Newark airport, return it there and then Uber to be port. 

3 minutes ago, coldweather said:

@artvlay  Renting a car for Port Liberty is a new idea to me.  Is Enterprise at the port? Or do you use a Bayonne or Newark location?

For anyone else, what rental car companies are convenient to Port Liberty? 

Enterprise (John F. Kennedy Blvd, Bayonne) or Avis/Budget (E 22nd St, Bayonne).

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, coldweather said:

I will be flying into Newark airport a few days ahead of the cruise and renting a car.  Any suggestions?  I was going to rent a car at Newark airport, return it there and then Uber to be port. 

It may be cheaper to rent RT EWR + Uber vs. dropping in Bayonne + Uber.  All depends on if there's a one way drop charge.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I actually asked Enterprise if they would take me to the port and they did!  YMMV.  Otherwise Uber/Lyft or taxi.

So Enterprise will take you from their Kennedy Blvd location to the port?

23 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I actually asked Enterprise if they would take me to the port and they did!  YMMV.  Otherwise Uber/Lyft or taxi.

At  end of cruise, does Enterprise pick up at the port and take you to their rental agency? 1347 John F. Kennedy Blvd, Bayonne, NJ 07002

3 hours ago, artvlay said:

So Enterprise will take you from their Kennedy Blvd location to the port?

YMMV.  Most likely no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

At  end of cruise, does Enterprise pick up at the port and take you to their rental agency? 1347 John F. Kennedy Blvd, Bayonne, NJ 07002

They advertise "We Pick You Up".  But the Bayonne location now says "Pick-Up Service Unavailable",

My experience:

2014 - They picked us up.

2015 - Called, they said to take a taxi and will reimburse.

2017 - We took a taxi and they reimbursed.

2023 - I'll find out in October.

Your experience: YMMV

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

YMMV.  Most likely no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

They advertise "We Pick You Up".  But the Bayonne location now says "Pick-Up Service Unavailable",

My experience:

2014 - They picked us up.

2015 - Called, they said to take a taxi and will reimburse.

2017 - We took a taxi and they reimbursed.

2023 - I'll find out in October.

Your experience: YMMV

Guess I will stick to my Budget reservation which is closer to the cruise port.

180 East 22nd Street, Bayonne, NJ