Is there ever a possibility of a Health Food cruise ?

lenquixote66

To answer your question, I would have thought it most unlikely. Understandably, cruise ships offer a wide range of foods and, as you mention, it's already possible to avoid unhealthy choices if you wish. No need for the cruise line to do more. 

4 hours ago, Harters said:

To answer your question, I would have thought it most unlikely. Understandably, cruise ships offer a wide range of foods and, as you mention, it's already possible to avoid unhealthy choices if you wish. No need for the cruise line to do more. 

Perhaps not but it might draw a lot of people to the idea of a healthy cruise.The older one gets it is more difficult to lose weight.

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The older one gets it is more difficult to lose weight.

True. So true. 

But I still question how popular the idea might be. I can't think of a land based restaurant near me which markets itself on the basis of offering healthy food (although many of the neighbourhood places do in fact offer healthier choices). 

I did apply myself to this issue in preparation for our recent Oceania cruise, losing about 3kg. And I've surprised myself that I didnt put it back on during the cruise so, perhaps, my choices onboard were healthy. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

True. So true. 

But I still question how popular the idea might be. I can't think of a land based restaurant near me which markets itself on the basis of offering healthy food (although many of the neighbourhood places do in fact offer healthier choices). 

I did apply myself to this issue in preparation for our recent Oceania cruise, losing about 3kg. And I've surprised myself that I didnt put it back on during the cruise so, perhaps, my choices onboard were healthy. 

I have never gained weight on a cruise.My wife and I went to the Fitness Center every morning for an hour .We eat as healthy as possible.While fattening foods may be vert hasty they are not healthy.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If god did not want us to eat a large rare steak, she would not have made it taste so good.  The same comment applies to lost healthy diets.

DON

I have not eaten steak since I was a child and at an age when I had no control of what I ate.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 8:35 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Whenever I have cruised I have always abstained from liquor and as many fattening foods as possible.

When I go to my maker I will never regret all the decent booze and fattening foods I have enjoyed.  My only regret (food and drink wise) will be about the things I passed up.  

Hank

P.S.  At home dieting now, to get ready for the next cruise

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When I go to my maker I will never regret all the decent booze and fattening foods I have enjoyed.  My only regret (food and drink wise) will be about the things I passed up.  

Hank

P.S.  At home dieting now, to get ready for the next cruise

I have not been on a diet for many years.I was obese as a child.My best friend in HS belonged to a gym ,something unheard of in that time .He “forced” me to go with him on Sundays.I lost 66 pounds and have a picture of myself in my wallet.I never went on a date in HS .After my weight loss I literally had women wanting me to date them.I never had a desire to overeat again.

• 1 month later...

My goodness, the thought of eating "healthy" on a cruise would make me sick 🙂  But. we have seen a trend on luxury lines to include more healthy options.  I have managed a few long cruises without gaining weight, but it was usually because the cuisine was not worth the calories!  

On our recent Explora 1 cruise they had a healthy vegan gelato called "spirulina" which is made from an algae base.  They had it for a few days and the server told me they did not have a single order (on that line everything is included so no extra fee).  Even the server told us there was no way she would eat that stuff.  DW did taste it and thought the texture was good, but it tasted like sweet algae...which is to say awful.  We both opted for the very unhealthy (and amazing) peanut butter gelato which tasted like Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My goodness, the thought of eating "healthy" on a cruise would make me sick 🙂  But. we have seen a trend on luxury lines to include more healthy options.  I have managed a few long cruises without gaining weight, but it was usually because the cuisine was not worth the calories!  

On our recent Explora 1 cruise they had a healthy vegan gelato called "spirulina" which is made from an algae base.  They had it for a few days and the server told me they did not have a single order (on that line everything is included so no extra fee).  Even the server told us there was no way she would eat that stuff.  DW did taste it and thought the texture was good, but it tasted like sweet algae...which is to say awful.  We both opted for the very unhealthy (and amazing) peanut butter gelato which tasted like Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

Hank

My best friend from HS developed an all Vegan Gelato which is sold in Trader Joe’s and other grocery chains in the US.

• 2 months later...

I try everything on a cruise ship over the course of a cruise and rarely gain a lot of weight as we try to walk 10-15 MILES every day and climb a lot of steps.

I am NOT real concerned about HEALTHY as most foods are healthy as part of a balanced diet.  I just don't eat a lot of the things I do taste.  That is one thing I do NOT like about HAL where you are served most of your food at their buffet.  My general plate at a buffet looks like an artist's palette - a dab of this and a dab of that, NOT FULL PORTIONS.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 1:12 PM, jlawrence01 said:

I try everything on a cruise ship over the course of a cruise and rarely gain a lot of weight as we try to walk 10-15 MILES every day and climb a lot of steps.

I am NOT real concerned about HEALTHY as most foods are healthy as part of a balanced diet.  I just don't eat a lot of the things I do taste.  That is one thing I do NOT like about HAL where you are served most of your food at their buffet.  My general plate at a buffet looks like an artist's palette - a dab of this and a dab of that, NOT FULL PORTIONS.

I think you’re right that walking and eating small bites of various foods are smart ways to stay fit on a cruise. I also like walking every day, but I doubt I can reach your amazing distance of 10–15 miles. I need to watch what I eat because I have high blood sugar, so eating small amounts is a good way to savor food while also reducing my carbs and sugar intake, and increasing my fiber and protein intake.