Baltics Cruise - Euros?

doone

Depends on the country.  Denmark, for example,  doesn't use Euros. This is discussed frequently on the Northern Europe board.

It's also frequently discussed those countries are almost totally cashless. Credit cards are extremely widely used.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, doone said:

I am sailing on the Nieuw Statendam next May to the Baltics.  Can I assume the Scandinavian countries use Euros vs. their own?

Thanks,

No you can't assume that. Some countries use Euros and others don't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doone said:

I am sailing on the Nieuw Statendam next May to the Baltics.  Can I assume the Scandinavian countries use Euros vs. their own?

Thanks,

Nope. Some places might, but no guarantee if cash is accepted at all (many places don't accept cash) also as mentioned Scandinavia + Finland are more or less cash less. Card or mobile payments are used.

• Like 1

Just back from the Baltics.  Did not use cash a single time while in the ports.  Our stops were Gdansk, Visby (Sweden), Tallinn (Estonia), Helsinki (Finland), Aarhus (Denmark), Copenhagen (Denmark), Kristiansand (Norway), and Warnemunde/Berlin (Germany).  Of those ports, only Germany, Finland, and Estonia use the euro (though some accepted it as an alternative currency).  I used a credit card for every purchase I made and the exchange rate was excellent on all those purchases.  My mom and dad had some Euros from a previous trip and were barely able to find places to spend them easily (and ended up using them for tips--that was actually a good use of cash).

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, Dr. Peds said:

Just back from the Baltics.  Did not use cash a single time while in the ports.  Our stops were Gdansk, Visby (Sweden), Tallinn (Estonia), Helsinki (Finland), Aarhus (Denmark), Copenhagen (Denmark), Kristiansand (Norway), and Warnemunde/Berlin (Germany).  Of those ports, only Germany, Finland, and Estonia use the euro (though some accepted it as an alternative currency).  I used a credit card for every purchase I made and the exchange rate was excellent on all those purchases.  My mom and dad had some Euros from a previous trip and were barely able to find places to spend them easily (and ended up using them for tips--that was actually a good use of cash).

Although it is worth noting that Germany may not be as card payment friendly as the other locations on the usual Baltic itinenaries and several, especially smaller establishments may require cash payments (or local cards, that foreign tourists do not have).