traveling with my grandson. Need to notorize parental consent?

vswan

Leave Saturday for Alaska with my grandson. Have had my daughter fill out the form on NCLs website, write a letter for Canada. Have the driver's license front and back of both parents. Have my daughters marriage and divorce papers with her listed as having full custody, but have also gotten the signature of her ex on the paperwork. I have been reading that these now need to be notorized but there is nowhere on the NCL form that has a space for notorizing and the letter for Canada only says preferably notorized, not must be notorized. Is this enough or do I need them to find a notory today? Don't want to get to the port and not be able to get on the ship.

I called NCL and they said I should be fine. Went to the Canada website and I said notorizing will make easier, but doesn't say it is required. Of course I'm always worried that websites are not updated and that NCL reps don't know what goes on at the port.

My daughter said she would go today and get it notorized so that I don't worry. Taken care of.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vswan said:

I called NCL and they said I should be fine. Went to the Canada website and I said notorizing will make easier, but doesn't say it is required. Of course I'm always worried that websites are not updated and that NCL reps don't know what goes on at the port.

My daughter said she would go today and get it notorized so that I don't worry. Taken care of.

Great!

Honestly we took our daughters friend 17 on a cruise with us in April. I filled out all paperwork, and eve had a legal documented drafted and notarized just in case...NCL nor anyone else ever asked for it during embarkation or disembarkation. But always better to have it then not. 

5 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Honestly we took our daughters friend 17 on a cruise with us in April. I filled out all paperwork, and eve had a legal documented drafted and notarized just in case...NCL nor anyone else ever asked for it during embarkation or disembarkation. But always better to have it then not. 

This is the most likely scenario, but as the quoted poster says its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vswan said:

Leave Saturday for Alaska with my grandson. Have had my daughter fill out the form on NCLs website, write a letter for Canada. Have the driver's license front and back of both parents. Have my daughters marriage and divorce papers with her listed as having full custody, but have also gotten the signature of her ex on the paperwork. I have been reading that these now need to be notorized but there is nowhere on the NCL form that has a space for notorizing and the letter for Canada only says preferably notorized, not must be notorized. Is this enough or do I need them to find a notory today? Don't want to get to the port and not be able to get on the ship.

Follow what NCL requires. Not good ideas from posts. 

Minors or the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

• 2) Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver's Licence or other Government Issued ID 

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries): 

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 travelling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

• Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;
  • The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;
  • The destination and length of stay in Canada.
Edited by BirdTravels

While I know we are talking NCL, one of the people that does check-in in Seattle posted on the RCI board that RCI and Celebrity will be enforcing the notarized document requirement. This was confirmed by someone who does check-in in Florida that they also got the same memo to validate documentation. I know not NCL, but it's always possible that they will require it at some point as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vswan said:

It's better safe than sorry.  And I hope you have a wonderful cruise - this is such a great way to travel with your grandchild.

• Like 1

A notary can just type or write in what is needed.  Do not have parties sign it until you are all before the notary.  The notary's signature  is saying he/she saw you sign it.  It is illegal to notarize something that is already signed.

7 hours ago, Terre said:

A notary can just type or write in what is needed.  Do not have parties sign it until you are all before the notary.  The notary's signature  is saying he/she saw you sign it.  It is illegal to notarize something that is already signed.

Yes, my daughter had to reprint her letter, load up her ex and so both of them could sign a new copy in front of a notory. I can see this would be a real hassle if you didn't live near each other or really didn't get along well. But it makes me feel much more comfortable having it done.

• Like 4