Cape Liberty Debarkation

4 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

We opted to hang out until as late as possible (we actually were kicked out of our room at 830 lol).  The ship docked later than it was supposed to, but people who had luggage pick up times (ie, in the terminal ) between 800 and 830 weren't getting them until almost an hour later.

Royal isn't necessarily at fault here, but as there are a lot of moving parts and I for one wouldn't want to be running for the terminal, I'd give myself as much time as possible. 

Late arrival definitely causes a backup, especially when so many at that port do self disembark.  We sail a lot from Cape Liberty and usually wait for the first wave of self disembark to get off and then leave around 7:30.  With the ship coming in late, that wouldn't work at all.

With the OP coming in on a smaller ship on a TA, it won't be the local self disembark crowd, hopefully.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Late arrival definitely causes a backup, especially when so many at that port do self disembark.  We sail a lot from Cape Liberty and usually wait for the first wave of self disembark to get off and then leave around 7:30.  With the ship coming in late, that wouldn't work at all.

With the OP coming in on a smaller ship on a TA, it won't be the local self disembark crowd, hopefully.

We were sitting in the WindJammer having B Fast watching the disembarking procedure. 

What the dock workers did to the luggage made me happy we did self assist to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

Anyone have an approximate cost of an Uber or a taxi to EWR?

$35-$40 for Uber.  There were shared taxi's (vans) to EWR prior to covid, not sure about now. I know you can get a taxi (located in a parking lot) from CL to EWR.

22 hours ago, meadowlander said:

$35-$40 for Uber.  There were shared taxi's (vans) to EWR prior to covid, not sure about now. I know you can get a taxi (located in a parking lot) from CL to EWR.

Thanks for that information!

2 hours ago, welovetahiti said:

I’ll be staying in NYC after September cruise from Cape Liberty.  Any advice on economical way to get to Times Square?  

The most economical way will involve 2 trains and your ability to handle your luggage on them.  Taxi from Cape Liberty to 34th Street station of the Hudson Bergen light rail (filled with commuters weekday mornings) $12. Light rail in direction of Hoboken to either Journal Square or Hoboken Terminal $2.75.

Transfer at either station to PATH to 33rd Street in NYC $2.75 which is the closest you can get to Times Square. Would be easier to taxi/Uber to Hoboken Terminal.

On 7/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Liberty debarkation self assist was a total ***** show and we didn’t get off until 8:45 even though we were in line since 6:45ish. But even in that scenario you’d make an 11am flight at Newark. Oasis is much better debarking at Cape Liberty. Usually off by 7am so maybe Jewel will be better than Liberty.

WE disembarked the Oasis on July 7th and didn't disemark until 8:55!!

On 7/28/2023 at 4:06 PM, Cherries Jubilee said:

In my opinion the Uber/Lyft pickup is the iffy part of your plan. We were delayed getting off the ship the last time we sailed but even that delay was nothing like how long it took us to get a Uber/Lyft.

The app kept losing connection because there were so many of us out there and then the wait for a car was really long. It didn’t matter if we wanted an XL or were even willing to spring for a Luxury car. 

It was slow when we sailed Oasis in May and even slower when we sailed Anthem in January. In fact we eventually gave up in January and called a family member to pick us up because it was too cold. 

We also live incredibly close.

If you try it, definitely do self assist and get out of there as fast as you can so you can avoid the outdoor rush.

This was my experience as well.  I have taken 3 trips arriving back in Cape Liberty over the last year.  Twice it took us almost 2 hours to get an Uber/Lyft, and we walked off early.  Once, we pretty much had no problem.  Getting off was no problem, it was getting an Uber/Lyft that was a problem (and the taxis were a total ripoff).  Not a huge deal for us, because we were just going to Long Island.  But, if I had a flight to catch, I would consider pre-reserving your ride if you could.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, welovetahiti said:

I’ll be staying in NYC after September cruise from Cape Liberty. Any advice on economical way to get to Times Square?

Why are you going to times square? Are you looking to be hassled by a moron in an Elmo costume? You deff don't want to go to that area with your luggage. There are about 5 million tourists in like a 1 block area. It's possibly the worst spot in all of America

49 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

Why are you going to times square? Are you looking to be hassled by a moron in an Elmo costume? You deff don't want to go to that area with your luggage. There are about 5 million tourists in like a 1 block area. It's possibly the worst spot in all of America

Maybe their hotel is near there?  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, reallyitsmema said:

…With the OP coming in on a smaller ship on a TA, it won't be the local self disembark crowd, hopefully.

This is what I’m hoping. If we miss the first flight, there’s another one that day. If we miss that one we’ll just find a hotel and enjoy the night. We don’t have to be back by the next day so it’s not a problem.

• Like 2