Apex Live — July 31

What A Market

@What A Market Did you visit the buffet at all on your cruise?

Just wondered how the selection was and specifically the gluten free selection. My wife is celiac - (lucky her) and has other gastric issues which means she can only eat very small amounts of specific foods when she feels hungry - preordering dinner in the MDR is difficult because she may not be able to eat it - just depends on the day. Going to the buffet is better from that point of view - I assume it is possible to get  a chef to walk you round the buffet and tell you what is gluten free , or even prepare you something from scratch?

Edited by Trixie21

51 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Just wondered how the selection was and specifically the gluten free selection. My wife is celiac - (lucky her) and has other gastric issues which means she can only eat very small amounts of specific foods when she feels hungry - preordering dinner in the MDR is difficult because she may not be able to eat it - just depends on the day. Going to the buffet is better from that point of view - I assume it is possible to get  a chef to walk you round the buffet and tell you what is gluten free , or even prepare you something from scratch?

There are a few other recent threads about this that I read before our July cruise on the Apex. I’m not celiac but have a wheat allergy.

The buffet worked well for me as everything was labelled so I knew what was GF. There was plenty of variety. There is a GF corner  for desserts at lunch and dinner and bread/ pastries in the morning with separate toaster. The first day I had the maître d walk me around and explain the labelling.

Dining room options were limited unless you preordered which I didn’t, I did have a superb meal at Eden though. 

Prior to going on the cruise I submitted a special needs form. Every time we went to dinner it was clear that the wait staff knew about my allergy without me mentioning it, 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, What A Market said:

My Windy weather app showed we were going to experience some really strong winds and higher seas in the evening yesterday and throughout the day today.  The Apex handles these really really well in my opinion. 

My Windy app monitoring the coast of Norway showed some incredible swells and 30+ mph winds.  How big did the swells and wind eventually get for you ?

Thanks for the live report. 

9 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Heidi is Coeliac and is very careful with her diet. We did eat in the buffet a few times. Once for dinner and twice for lunch. Gluten Free options always seem pretty extensive and are clearly marked. 

Breakfast is probably weakest in terms of options. 

5 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

My Windy app monitoring the coast of Norway showed some incredible swells and 30+ mph winds.  How big did the swells and wind eventually get for you ?

Thanks for the live report. 

Saw same on my Windy App. 
And experienced!

Swells/waves were less intense compared to wind. We were surprised how well the Apex handled throughout for our last day, which was a sea day. 

9 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

There are a few other recent threads about this that I read before our July cruise on the Apex. I’m not celiac but have a wheat allergy.

The buffet worked well for me as everything was labelled so I knew what was GF. There was plenty of variety. There is a GF corner  for desserts at lunch and dinner and bread/ pastries in the morning with separate toaster. The first day I had the maître d walk me around and explain the labelling.

Dining room options were limited unless you preordered which I didn’t, I did have a superb meal at Eden though. 

Prior to going on the cruise I submitted a special needs form. Every time we went to dinner it was clear that the wait staff knew about my allergy without me mentioning it, 

Thank you , thats encouraging. 

1 hour ago, What A Market said:

Heidi is Coeliac and is very careful with her diet. We did eat in the buffet a few times. Once for dinner and twice for lunch. Gluten Free options always seem pretty extensive and are clearly marked. 

Breakfast is probably weakest in terms of options. 

Again thanks for the reply. Sounds like we will be quite alright on the Apex.

Carol would just probably be looking for either toast , bacon or eggs for breakfast- hopefully those are easy enough to have gluten free. She will be bringing her own cereal which she likes.

Just now, Trixie21 said:

Again thanks for the reply. Sounds like we will be quite alright on the Apex.

Carol would just probably be looking for either toast , bacon or eggs for breakfast- hopefully those are easy enough to have gluten free. She will be bringing her own cereal which she likes.

I’m glad you mentioned the cereal as there wasn’t a GF option.

I too carry my own cereal on my travels. I just pop a meal size portion into a resealable plastic bag each morning and take it with me to the buffet. 

29 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

I’m glad you mentioned the cereal as there wasn’t a GF option.

I too carry my own cereal on my travels. I just pop a meal size portion into a resealable plastic bag each morning and take it with me to the buffet. 

Yep , she does exactly the same thing.

Or if she doesn't fancy anything else I go down and bring her up a bowl and some milk to the room.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, peanut head said:

Thank you so much for writing your review and all the stunning pictures.  Just out of curiosity, what is your take on the Iconic Suite?  Would you book it again?

Sadly, I have to say I wouldn’t.

The Suite is lovely and the size of the space with balcony is crazy wonderful, but this room (including both bedrooms) makes too much noise depending on the direction of the seas and the winds.

I’m going to try and post some final thoughts soon.

Edited by What A Market
  • Thanks 1