Apex Live — July 31

What A Market

Thanks for your review.  We just got off Apex on the 31st.  I can confirm they are following the 1 hour rule in the solarium and it was a pleasant surprise.  The attendant saw that I was looking for a lounger one day and even found me as I was sitting at a table to led me to an empty lounger that they had just cleaned off.  

• Like 3

Good morning from Oslo, our first port.

Day at sea yesterday, which is always nice after embarkation day and all the travel that proceeded it.  A bit overcast in Oslo. Local weather report says rain is supposed to hold off until this afternoon.  We have a ship’s excursion planned for later this morning — four hour walking tour. (I am only using ship excursions for this cruise, which is a first for me.)

The day, of course, starts with multiple cappuccinos and espressos at Cafe al Bacio. Fairly quiet at 6:45am. 

IMG_0132.jpeg

• Like 6

Great dinner in Eden last night. Our server was Desy with Belen as assistant. We had Yan as wine steward. All three were exceptional with their service. 

I’m a big fan of Eden. I always try to sit at the tables fronting onto the kitchen. We did not do the wine paired tasting menu. (Heidi not up for the task. Boo!) So it was just a la carte for us. We each had two starters and one entree. Everything very good, with my crab cake and Heidi’s sea bass the stand outs. Weakest dish was my lamb. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

We went to the Captain’s Club Coffee Lounge for breakfast and was told it’s only on sea days. So we ended up at Cafe Al Bacio.

Our welcome note says daily. Is this a new change? We’ll have to find out.

That's weird. It should be every single day. If they told you that I'd talk to Saori at the Captains Club concierge desk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

We went to the Captain’s Club Coffee Lounge for breakfast and was told it’s only on sea days. So we ended up at Cafe Al Bacio.

Our welcome note says daily. Is this a new change? We’ll have to find out.

hmm.  That would be a serious  cutback for sure. If you find out more info, please post the info.   That would make it more crowded on sea days and elim another breakfast option that we enjoy.

• Like 1

You mentioned that you enjoyed dinner at Eden. When we were there a few years ago we had to choose between several selections for each course.  I like the idea of sharing an appetizer not to save money but to allow full enjoyment of the entree and maybe dessert shared.

We do enjoy breakfast and especially lunch at Eden. Not crowded, very quiet and the views are wonderful.  Food was excellent(soup, salad, sandwiches, desserts).  It is self-serve but there is always someone there to help with bringing drinks and dishes to your table.

We have done this itinerary before but am thinking I need to enjoy it again soon.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, dazey said:

You mentioned that you enjoyed dinner at Eden. When we were there a few years ago we had to choose between several selections for each course.  I like the idea of sharing an appetizer not to save money but to allow full enjoyment of the entree and maybe dessert shared.

We do enjoy breakfast and especially lunch at Eden. Not crowded, very quiet and the views are wonderful.  Food was excellent(soup, salad, sandwiches, desserts).  It is self-serve but there is always someone there to help with bringing drinks and dishes to your table.

We have done this itinerary before but am thinking I need to enjoy it again soon.

I agree we need to do this itinerary,  after a month of 100+ Temps in South Texas we are looking for cooler weather cruises in July and August.  

22 hours ago, hcat said:

what types of fish dishes were featured in the 4 mdrs..pls dont say tilapia..     we had wonderful choices on EDGE.. but thst was awhile ago!

Hello hcat 

Here’s a run down on various seafood dishes (starters and mains) at the four main dining rooms for this evening:

Salmon Gravlax 

Pan seared cod

Grilled shrimp

Coquilles Saint Jacques

Shellfish dish in seafood broth

That’s it between all four restaurants.  This is what I see in the App though.

Maybe more on actual menus???

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, What A Market said:

Hello hcat 

Here’s a run down on various seafood dishes (starters and mains) at the four main dining rooms for this evening:

Salmon Gravlax 

Pan seared cod

Grilled shrimp

Coquilles Saint Jacques

How have the meals in Luminae been?

7 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

That's weird. It should be every single day. If they told you that I'd talk to Saori at the Captains Club concierge desk.

I will be doing that. I know on the Summit in October it was every day. Today there was no one there eating or serving, no food, no coffee.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I agree we need to do this itinerary,  after a month of 100+ Temps in South Texas we are looking for cooler weather cruises in July and August.  

I love this Viking itinerary..just sayin' ...🤣

2022_Greenland_Iceland_Norway_and_Beyond_956x690_v2_tcm13-166883.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mac_tlc said:

I love this Viking itinerary..just sayin' ...🤣

2022_Greenland_Iceland_Norway_and_Beyond_956x690_v2_tcm13-166883.jpg

We have a Boston to Montreal cruise booked in August next year for 11 days, but we will spend another week in Montreal after the cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, What A Market said:

I did not think I would be sitting outside on the Magic Carpet enjoying a perfect evening in Oslo!  Perfect weather!!!

IMG_3686.jpeg

Beautiful young lady, ship (we cruised on the Apex March 2023) and enjoying a Red Stripe. 🍻

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, What A Market said:

Hello hcat 

Salmon Gravlax 

Pan seared cod

Grilled shrimp

Coquilles Saint Jacques

thank you... I could manage nicely!

On 7/31/2023 at 8:34 AM, What A Market said:

Glad you posted Jim.  I was just getting ready to ask you a question.

I just downloaded the Windy App.  I think you may use that???

Trying to figure out how use/read.

I have it set to Waves for checking conditions. Photo of current conditions below.

Dark Blue means higher waves? Looks like right outside of Rotterdam is heaviest.

But what height be?

Thanks for help with this!

IMG_0131.png

I use it often -   Both the Mobile as well as the Web Version.    I find the easiest method is to search on  a site like Cruise Mapper to find ships current location by Long. and Lat.  

image.png.873cfadb430b8380aaacfbc754fbda1b.png

I then put that into the search bar-  58.12068, 8.53304 (you then have to click on the coordinate that it pops up

image.png.6d31afccff0a57969f806ec9887ea60d.png

You can then select "Waves" and then click on a spot on the map to bring up the marker -   You can then move the map around to see the measurement at each location

image.png.6f00ca3d2cfee7846c9b2ff7016c0186.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use it often -   Both the Mobile as well as the Web Version.    I find the easiest method is to search on  a site like Cruise Mapper to find ships current location by Long. and Lat.  

Thanks Jim!  That’s exactly what I needed.

Here’s some random ramblings about yesterday in Oslo.

We had a ship’s excursion for 10:30. I’ve not done excursions thru the ship on previous cruises, except to arrange dive/snorkeling adventures.  The idea of being trapped on a bus has never seemed appealing.  But I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.  Full-sized bus with only 26 of us for the tour, and not a lot of time on bus.  Quick bus ride to Oslo’s sculpture park (Vigeland Park) where we toured the sculptures with our private guide. The bus dropped us off at one end of the park and we walked across the length of the park where we met the bus again.  

Then it was another fairly quick drive to the Fram and Kon Tiki museums. The Norwegians are justifiably proud of their maritime scientific and exploratory history!  

Back on the bus for another quick ride to the ship. Tour was four hours and very enjoyable.  It was nice having a guide to learn details of these beautiful and unique spots in Oslo.

image000000.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

Edited by What A Market
  • Like 6