Apex Live — July 31

What A Market

On 8/2/2023 at 7:49 AM, scrapcreator said:

We went to the Captain’s Club Coffee Lounge for breakfast and was told it’s only on sea days. So we ended up at Cafe Al Bacio.

Our welcome note says daily. Is this a new change? We’ll have to find out.

We were on the previous cruise and it was available every day - I sure hope it isn’t a cut back.

Wenndy

• Like 1

Really enjoying your report. Thank you for taking the time. Cruising in Norway is spectacular and I can’t wait to see what you get up to at all the ports. Remember to get up early for the sail into Geiranger. 

We are just back from a cruise to Italy and Greece on the Beyond. We are big DIYers normally but with lots of OBC we did a couple of Celebrity tours and were also pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy  the rest of the cruise 😀

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Fly and Sail said:

That's weird. It should be every single day. If they told you that I'd talk to Saori at the Captains Club concierge desk.

Spoke to Saori this morning at the Captain’s Club desk. Very nice. We did’t think we were too early yesterday, but evidently we were? She said they did have and do have Elite Breakfast every day. Not sure who the gentleman was who sent us away is but he was incorrect.

So, to correct, clarify, and not cause a panic: Elite Breakfast is every day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are on the Apex now and are sailing in the Retreat. In Rotterdam, there was a separate line for suite guests to hand their luggage to the porters.  However, both lines merged together into one when we got to the porters.  After that, we were put into the same line as everyone else to check in.  Everyone we asked indicated  that there was no separate line or check-in for retreat guests.  We had to be rather assertive in getting to the final retreat check-in sign.  The retreat lounge in the terminal is after check-in and just as you board the ship.  We didn’t see anyone using it.  There were no carts being used in the luggage drop off line.

We were able to walk right into Luminae for our  embarkation lunch - just before noon.  There was a long line when we left.  All of our meals in Luminae have been very good.  And the service has been outstanding.

The retreat lounge is beautiful and has a wonderful outdoor space.  Unlike our previous cruises, we have to order our drinks at the bar.  And in the outdoor space, no one has come by to offer drinks, towels, water etc.  On our last cruise, we were given food, drinks, towels etc, the minute we sat down,.Here, everything has been self-service. We still have not met our retreat concierge and we have been in and out of the lounge frequently.

This is a very crowded ship!  If you want to attend a specific activity or event, it is important to arrive 30 minutes early.

In Oslo, we took the ferry boat to see the Fram and Kon-Tiki museums.  It was about a 15 to 20 minute easy walk from the ship to the ferry boat,  

Our cabin steward and butler are wonderful!  

In answer to the question about the on ship temp.  It is very comfortable.  A lot of people are in shorts.  Passengers are dressed much more casually on this cruise than our other sailings.  I would suggest layers even for indoors.  

Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences.  It is always so helpful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, scrapcreator said:

Spoke to Saori this morning at the Captain’s Club desk. Very nice. We did’t think we were too early yesterday, but evidently we were? She said they did have and do have Elite Breakfast every day. Not sure who the gentleman was who sent us away is but he was incorrect.

So, to correct, clarify, and not cause a panic: Elite Breakfast is every day.

That's what I thought. I ended up catching breakfast at BLU this morning for once.

1 hour ago, pilgrimtraveler said:

We are on the Apex now and are sailing in the Retreat. In Rotterdam, there was a separate line for suite guests to hand their luggage to the porters.  However, both lines merged together into one when we got to the porters.  After that, we were put into the same line as everyone else to check in.  Everyone we asked indicated  that there was no separate line or check-in for retreat guests.  We had to be rather assertive in getting to the final retreat check-in sign.  The retreat lounge in the terminal is after check-in and just as you board the ship.  We didn’t see anyone using it.  There were no carts being used in the luggage drop off line.

We were able to walk right into Luminae for our  embarkation lunch - just before noon.  There was a long line when we left.  All of our meals in Luminae have been very good.  And the service has been outstanding.

The retreat lounge is beautiful and has a wonderful outdoor space.  Unlike our previous cruises, we have to order our drinks at the bar.  And in the outdoor space, no one has come by to offer drinks, towels, water etc.  On our last cruise, we were given food, drinks, towels etc, the minute we sat down,.Here, everything has been self-service. We still have not met our retreat concierge and we have been in and out of the lounge frequently.

This is a very crowded ship!  If you want to attend a specific activity or event, it is important to arrive 30 minutes early.

In Oslo, we took the ferry boat to see the Fram and Kon-Tiki museums.  It was about a 15 to 20 minute easy walk from the ship to the ferry boat,  

Our cabin steward and butler are wonderful!  

In answer to the question about the on ship temp.  It is very comfortable.  A lot of people are in shorts.  Passengers are dressed much more casually on this cruise than our other sailings.  I would suggest layers even for indoors.  

Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences.  It is always so helpful.

A friend who is a Cruise Planner said that after Covid, most cruise lines have less staff than previously, some to cut costs, some just cant get the help they used to get.  So she said on many lines, less personal service like people coming around offering drinks and towels etc.  Also, as someone else said, with the drink packages they might have cut back on some service as well, but she felt mostly a staffing issue.   Not sure how the top level cruise ships are faring, but HA, PRincess etc seem to be in the same situation. 

So glad I found this thread! 

We were on the Apex a few months ago and had the exact room.  Say hi to Eli and Andika for us!  They are awesome! 🙂

Looking forward to your continued posting.  Enjoy your sailing!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

thanks..

could u hear music from Fine Cut table?

Oh yeah, you can totally hear the music from the Martini Bar below.

I don’t find it oppressive or distracting.

Even when the evening flare show kicked off it felt “right” — of course I was enjoying dessert at that point and finishing off the last of the wine 🍷! 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very nice meal in Fine Cut last night.  
Stand out dishes were the Lobster salad with bibb lettuce and melon as well as the arugula salad with poached pears and goat cheese fritters. 

I had the dry aged New York with an au poivre sauce. Good not great. 

Finished with the apple crumble. Very nice. 

IMG_3697.jpeg

IMG_3696.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, What A Market said:

Oh yeah, you can totally hear the music from the Martini Bar below.

I don’t find it oppressive or distracting.

Even when the evening flare show kicked off it felt “right” — of course I was enjoying dessert at that point and finishing off the last of the wine 🍷! 😋

It depends on where you’re sitting though. We had a table for two last week next to the exterior windows and couldn’t hear any noise thing from the central atrium. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We have an early res time and will def ask for a quiet location.!

Poor design ,  Fine Cut should have been glass enclosed once the sound issue was discovered.  

If you have an early reservation, you should be fine. We had an 8 pm reservation and the flair/chandelier kicked off at 8:25 pm.

• Like 1

@What A Market, Thank you for your review.  We have been on three of the E class ships, with reservations on the fourth for February.  When we have sailed in the Retreat, our go-to favorite restaurant has been Blu.  Have you tried it yet?  It's designed for Aqua class passengers, of course, but Retreat guests also can dine there when space is available.

15 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

@What A Market, Thank you for your review.  We have been on three of the E class ships, with reservations on the fourth for February.  When we have sailed in the Retreat, our go-to favorite restaurant has been Blu.  Have you tried it yet?  It's designed for Aqua class passengers, of course, but Retreat guests also can dine there when space is available.

Hi Traveling Man

We’ve done Blu a couple of times while traveling in a suite on previous Apex cruises. Haven’t been in yet on this cruise, but thanks to you it is back on my radar!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

We  did that on BEYOND one night....so much better than Luminae!  We had no line, no issues, a great view and  an excellent dinner all around! 

• Like 1

Hi

Following your thread as we have now Apex booked for next year. 

Would you be able to post copies at some stage of menus from the 4 main dining rooms ? Juwt one days to give me an idea of what they are like.

Thank you for taking the timeout from your cruise to do this live thread!