Eliminating Butlers - Spoke to Celebrity. Here is conversation.

LMHSRN

41 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

The entire change in the butler situation has pushed the responsibility for things to the guest. Fill out the breakfast card, grab a couple sodas from the lounge etc. 

Yes, that is it! It's as if Celebrity wanted to completely eliminate butlers but knew that would be too radical so they labeled it  "butler team" and shifted the "fetching" to guests. Thank you for your live thread. We are novice cruisers booked on Beyond sky suite in April and finding your posts extremely helpful. 

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

You'll have a regular butler.  They're coming back in early March (I was told this by the Assistant Waiter who was my last dedicated butler - he's going back to his butler job then).

I hope we have one. Sailing March 9.

Hi everyone!

We're hopping over to Celebrity to The Retreat after recently cruising the Star Suites on RCL.  Absolutely loved it (and the Genie).  Booked this back in Sept of 2022 for a December of 2024 cruise on the Reflection in a Sunset Sky Suite.  

I don't frequent the boards very much, so I am just now discovering the butler removal from SS.  Clearly I am very disappointed as I booked this suite specifically for the amenities listed from Sept 2022.  

I am now second guessing the December cruise if the butler situation does not resolve itself before final payment.  For the price I am paying for this "suite", I cannot justify the cost if I am going to be getting a room steward that is overworked trying to assist.  I would rather just pay for a balcony at that point.

I hope people continue to update this thread to let everyone know if/when the butlers return.

Edited by gone_cruisin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gone_cruisin said:

Hi everyone!

We're hoping over to Celebrity to The Retreat after recently cruising the Star Suites on RCL.  Absolutely loved it (and the Genie).  Booked this back in Sept of 2022 for a December of 2024 cruise on the Reflection in a Sunset Sky Suite.  

I don't frequent the boards very much, so I am just now discovering the butler removal from SS.  Clearly I am very disappointed as I booked this suite specifically for the amenities listed from Sept 2022.  

I am now second guessing the December cruise if the butler situation does not resolve itself before final payment.  For the price I am paying for this "suite", I cannot justify the cost if I am going to be getting a room steward that is overworked trying to assist.  I would rather just pay for a balcony at that point.

I hope people continue to update this thread to let everyone know if/when the butlers return.

They are bringing the butlers back and by December you should have your butler.  Last data I have is the rollout has started and should be on all ships by June.  So you'll be fine.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 1:05 PM, RK-NC said:

Yes, that is it! It's as if Celebrity wanted to completely eliminate butlers but knew that would be too radical so they labeled it  "butler team" and shifted the "fetching" to guests. Thank you for your live thread. We are novice cruisers booked on Beyond sky suite in April and finding your posts extremely helpful. 

This totally sums it up. 'Pampered paying passengers, you may now do your own fetching'!!!

We take a bag with us to the retreat lounge to stock up on evian and pelegrino for our 'suite'. It's a bit like a scavenger hunt getting the various supplies to the room. Even the glasses for red wine were no longer supplied automatically.

Now, for a mere $30 (approx.) per day one may purchase 'Premium Access' . Check it out on the web-site. Selling some of the perks that come with suites and Zenith, although Zenith level passengers no longer board with suite passengers, an elimination of a benefit which had been very enjoyable and special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samofam said:

'Pampered paying passengers, you may now do your own fetching'!!!

We take a bag with us to the retreat lounge to stock up on evian and pelegrino for our 'suite'.

Adding to packing list - big bag for fetching. They must have a dedicated person constantly refilling the retreat lounge refrigerator...just seems ridiculous....

Sorry to read about your 45th anniversary cruise experience a few months ago. This is will be our first time on Celebrity and hopefully not our last. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

Adding to packing list - big bag for fetching. They must have a dedicated person constantly refilling the retreat lounge refrigerator...just seems ridiculous....

Sorry to read about your 45th anniversary cruise experience a few months ago. This is will be our first time on Celebrity and hopefully not our last. 

Why?  You'll have a butler.  They will get you everything you need.  

As as been said many times here in the last month - the butlers are coming back.  The E class roll out has started.  And in 3 head butler only cruises, we have yet to need to fetch anything.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Will they stock the frig with water? When we booked, it said "water on embarkation day"  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RK-NC said:

Will they stock the frig with water? When we booked, it said "water on embarkation day"  

Yes.  We ask for regular water, but there was some Evain there, and maybe San Pelligrino.  

I'm boarding another ship in 4 weeks.  If you want, I'll ask, but I don't think it will be a problem.

4 hours ago, samofam said:although Zenith level passengers no longer board with suite passengers, an elimination of a benefit which had been very enjoyable and special.

When did this change get implemented?

cheers

8 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

As as been said many times here in the last month - the butlers are coming back.  The E class roll out has started.  And in 3 head butler only cruises, we have yet to need to fetch anything.  

Well, I'm hoping that the butlers will be back on the Apex by April 13th! After all the times I told my DW that it would be fun *and* we would have a butler...then came the change.  (She has never been on a ship with a butler...)

Of course, one way or another it will *still* be fun...after all, we be cruising! Can't hardly wait!!

4 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Well, I'm hoping that the butlers will be back on the Apex by April 13th! After all the times I told my DW that it would be fun *and* we would have a butler...then came the change.  (She has never been on a ship with a butler...)

Of course, one way or another it will *still* be fun...after all, we be cruising! Can't hardly wait!!

I was told Apex is next week.  E class is first in any case, so I'd think by April they'll be there.  

I think it would be useful for folks to post here when they get on a ship and have a dedicated butler, ie help everyone track the roll out and their own cruises.

Edited by abbydancer2003
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

I was told Apex is next week.  E class is first in any case, so I'd think by April they'll be there.  

I think it would be useful for folks to post here when they get on a ship and have a dedicated butler, ie help everyone track the roll out and their own cruises.

Thanks for the info!

I most certainly will return and post our experience!! You can count on it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, samofam said:

This totally sums it up. 'Pampered paying passengers, you may now do your own fetching'!!!

We take a bag with us to the retreat lounge to stock up on evian and pelegrino for our 'suite'. It's a bit like a scavenger hunt getting the various supplies to the room. Even the glasses for red wine were no longer supplied automatically.

Now, for a mere $30 (approx.) per day one may purchase 'Premium Access' . Check it out on the web-site. Selling some of the perks that come with suites and Zenith, although Zenith level passengers no longer board with suite passengers, an elimination of a benefit which had been very enjoyable and special.

23 hours ago, samofam said:

…..although Zenith level passengers no longer board with suite passengers, an elimination of a benefit which had been very enjoyable and special.

Went did that change?  We boarded and disembarked with Suite guests last month. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:44 AM, samofam said:

I just sailed last month and Zenith definitely boarded with suites.

5 minutes ago, Veinless said:

I can’t believe Celebrity is now going to be cutting the enhanced service they promised with a butler team. 

Are you referring to the retreat team?  I had this on my cruise in December on the Summit, the service from them was excellent. 

• Like 1

I also was on the Summit earlier this month, in a Sky Suite, with the Retreat Team and they were indeed excellent. We didn’t lack anything. Last year we were on Edge with a personal butler so we were able to compare experiences. For us, the biggest, and probably the only, difference we felt was that our personal butler made sure we had a snifter of cognac waiting for us every evening. It was a nice touch. Now, we kind of thought that most likely if we asked the Retreat Host on Summit nicely, he probably would have made it happen for us….maybe.

However, having said that, I think the lack of a personal butler for Sky Suite-ers is unfortunate. Hope they change their minds. We don’t require a butler, either on land or on sea, to do much for us but that is us!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Just a question. Do the Retreat Hosts (or room stewards, or whatever they are called) empty the extra cost contents of the mini fridge and replace with included contents from the Retreat Lounge, upon request? 

In Sky suites Empty yes, fill no.  
When butlers return they will fill the mini bar with water, your choice of soda and beer. 

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In Sky suites Empty yes, fill no.  
When butlers return they will fill the mini bar with water, your choice of soda and beer. 

I've found that to vary ship to ship and sailing to sailing. Only on one of our Sky suite sailings did our butler/retreat host offer to replenish water and soda; never asked to replenish the crappy beer. That's the one sailing they told us to not pay attention to the sign that said the mini bar contents weren't included in the drink package. Celebrity does not list the mini bar as a benefit of a Sky suite and to the best of my knowledge never did. Regardless of the fact that butlers would frequently (but not always) replenish it without charge anyway.

Actually, the X website does list the mini fridge as a benefit in ALL suites including SS. But it shows the additional comment “extra charge MAY apply” as to all suites — even RS and above. X seems to be keeping the matter vague, on purpose.