Travel Insurance

Hi!

Carnival offered travel insurance for @$400 for our family of 3, which would only pay 75% of the cruise total.

Then I found a website, Travel insurance.com. I'm getting much better quotes @$400 to pay for the full cost of our entire vacation, including air, hotel for any cancellation reason. Is this legit?

Have you purchased travel insurance?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Go back to the main boards page, and scroll down until you come to Cruise Discussion Topics.  There you will find a board for Cruise Travel Insurance.  Lots of good advice there.  EM

8 minutes ago, Blue skies! said:

Hi!

Carnival offered travel insurance for @$400 for our family of 3, which would only pay 75% of the cruise total.

Then I found a website, Travel insurance.com. I'm getting much better quotes @$400 to pay for the full cost of our entire vacation, including air, hotel for any cancellation reason. Is this legit?

Have you purchased travel insurance?

Here is a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

If you browse there, you'll notice that most of us do not recommend getting insurance from the travel vendor, for a variety of reasons.

There are some travel insurance brokers mentioned there.

We are among those who use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - which we learned about here on CC, and thank goodness.

We've had quite a few claims, including some large ones, and *all* were paid promptly.  No nonsense.

(Our only "complaint" is that we needed to file any insurance claim at all... much better not to have needed to use it... but... "life happens"...)

GC 

You may be misunderstanding Cancel For Any Reason. (CFAR)

CFAR can only be used before your trip begins. For the cruise line policy, you can invoke CFAR up to scheduled sailing time.

For 3rd party policies, you must invoke CFAR within 48 hours of your schedule trip departure. (Locking the front door)

Cruise line policy is a 75% (some cruise lines 90-100%) future cruise credit. A 3rd party policy can vary from 40% to 100% cash back. (Some of these also require that you cover 100% of your non-refundable trip costs. This can vary by State of residency). ((Since airlines will give you a voucher for future air travel, insurance will consider you as having been made whole)).

Edited by klfrodo

And of course there is the option of not buying travel insurance. We have done 50+ cruises, have never purchased insurance, and have never wished we had.  It's purely a personal decision. (And it's why I can't answer your question directly!)

Only take recommendations from people who have tried to collect on policies, not people who only know how fast the companies deposit the premiums.

Read the policy beforehand.

Understand what you want to insure.