Booked on Joy NY to Quebec--Which port for departure? Hotel ideas?

barb in ga

Our cruise departs September 4th Labor Day. I think I read that Joy departs from Pier 88 or 90. We'll fly in the day before(maybe 2). I haven't been to NYC for a few years, so hotel ideas are welcome. We usually choose Marriott as they have a variety of properties, but will look at others. Is the Times Square area a good place to focus my search?

Thanks, Barb

We like the Holiday Inn Exprress Manhattan Midtown West.  Typical Holiday Inn, but smallish rooms, And an easy walk from Times Square and about 2 blocks from the pier, piece of cake to walk there dragging your luggage.

• Like 1

big ships like the joy use pier 88, smaller ships like the gem sometimes use pier 90. overall its still the same cruise terminal: Manhattan cruise terminal . pier 88 is the common pier that is now used for all ships

54 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

We like the Holiday Inn Exprress Manhattan Midtown West.  Typical Holiday Inn, but smallish rooms, And an easy walk from Times Square and about 2 blocks from the pier, piece of cake to walk there dragging your luggage.

The Holiday Inn is a great location.  There also is a Comfort Inn next door.  They're close to Times Square, Restaurant Row, the Intrepid Air Museum, and the cruise terminal.  We have stayed at both the Holiday Inn and the Comfort Inn several times.  They each offer breakfast buffets and are just a two-block walk at a slight downhill grade to the cruise terminal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barb in ga said:

Our cruise departs September 4th Labor Day. I think I read that Joy departs from Pier 88 or 90. We'll fly in the day before(maybe 2). I haven't been to NYC for a few years, so hotel ideas are welcome. We usually choose Marriott as they have a variety of properties, but will look at others. Is the Times Square area a good place to focus my search?

Thanks, Barb

Manhattan Cruise Terminal (normally Pier 88). When you arrive, there will be signage directing you to the ship. 

We stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at Times Square. It is just up the street from the cruise terminal, so a cheap Uber to the port.  Lots to do and see there. But if you are trying to book this Labor Day weekend, you may find (1) hotels are sold out or (2) hotels have limited inventory and are charging 2x-3x normal prices. A labor day weekend stay should have been booked months ago. 

21 hours ago, barb in ga said:

I think I read that Joy departs from Pier 88 or 90. * * * I haven't been to NYC for a few years, so hotel ideas are welcome. We usually choose Marriott as they have a variety of properties, but will look at others. Is the Times Square area a good place to focus my search?

Yes, Norwegian Cruise Line generally uses the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, which consists of Piers 88 and 90 (at West 48th Street and West 50th Street, respectively).

Times Square is a place in which many tourists stay, and possibly the center of tourism in midtown Manhattan. It is a good location for being close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and on embarkation day you may be able to walk there from your hotel if your baggage is manageable. That said, many New Yorkers dislike Times Square because it is crowded with tourists, and the many businesses and hucksters who prey upon those tourists. Some families dislike the presence of aggressive cartoon characters and topless women in Times Square who pose for photographs in exchange for tips.

If you have particular affinity for the Marriott Corporation then you will find many locations in New York City, all of which will provide the services that you expect. However, New York City has more hotel rooms than any other city, of all types and locations, so if location or type of hotel is more important than the corporate ownership, you can pretty much find any type of accommodation you want in New York. Consider what is most important: proximity to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (so as to minimize your walk on embarkation day), being in a particular neighborhood or close to particular sights, or cost. If the answer is Times Square, then focus there. But there are many neighborhoods in New York City, and you're more attracted to any of those other areas, then focus on those other locations. There is no shortage of places in which to stay.

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, Katsumom said:

I like the Warwick which is a straight shot over to the pier

Your post may be helpful to others in the future, but the OP sailed last September.  🙂