Are Middle East cruises safe?

EllieinNJ

Been there, done that myself. Do you think if cruises were unsafe, any cruise line would still do it in the region? Certainly (and sadly) there are no cruises to Ukraine these days... That said: They are as safe as it can be. Do note that there are some countries in the area where an Israeli stamp on your passport could be a no-no, but no one on your journey I believe. Otherwise it is as safe as it can be. For both Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi, you don't even need a ship's sponsored shore excursion either. For Saudi Arabia, yes I recommend a ship's sponsored shore excursion, but that is not out of safety, but because they're just starting to become more touristy right now, and your experience going alone can be less than stellar. That region is great. Like going on every western city with that exotic feeling of the doors of the Orient!...

• Thanks 2

I try not to look like an American when I travel in Europe or the Middle East. That used to take some effort but nowadays the styles Americans wear are the same as over there so we blend right in. With that in mind, I would not wear any overt Jewish (particularly Orthodox Jewish) clothing if you want to blend in.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am considering one for next year.  Are they safe for Americans, especially those of the Jewish faith?

I think this is a pretty interesting question and not what I expected from the title. As a black man, I get the worry and often research the same.types of questions from a racism perspective.

Having travelled to the Middle East, I'd say most issues would be from government officials and not the general population...but that would be if you travelled on your own. However  in the case of a cruise, I believe you would be very safe.

Sadly, as with most things, living in the US is likely to be your biggest source of problems. And I'm not saying that for political reasons so hopefully this doesn't veer the thread into that direction. But from my *personal* experience, that is the case.

Go on the cruise...I think you'll enjoy it. I would recommend ship excursions unless you are well travelled as navigating that part of the world can sometimes be tricky. But whatever path you take I think you'll enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am considering one for next year.  Are they safe for Americans, especially those of the Jewish faith?

The short answer is, yes, you will be safe. I would advise that you not outwardly display your religious affiliation.  The Middle East is a vast area with many nations. Some are tolerant and support religious freedom. Some do not. I would also suggest you take a look at where your destination countries fall on other human rights issues and factor those into your decision making.  Choose your itinerary wisely based on your new knowledge.  I cruised the Emirates and Oman in 2016 on another line and returned to the Emirates (Abu Dhabi and Dubai) for the World Expo last year for a week. On both the cruise and the week long trip, I traveled independently with no organized excursions or tours.  There are a couple of other countries that I choose not to visit at this time. The decision to go at all based on their human rights issues in general in the area is one that I do wrestle with.

In some other travel forums, I have also seen reports of certain passport stamps being issues for entry into certain other countries, so do look into that.  I believe it was reported with Saudi Arabia and Israel, when I read it.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I guess I watch too much TV.  I had visions of us being pulled out of buses because of our Jewish sounding last names and being charged with various crimes.😁  We just got new passports so no previous stamps.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I guess I watch too much TV.  I had visions of us being pulled out of buses because of our Jewish sounding last names and being charged with various crimes.😁  We just got new passports so no previous stamps.

Lol, yeah  TV can do that 😀

Like others have said, stamps can be a problem. This is also one of the things I was alluding to when I said government officials. But, again, I believe that to be mainly when traveling by air and not a cruise. Regardless, new passports so you are good there.

Also, to clarify, my comment about traveling in an organized tour was really about your comfort level. If you think you can easily use public transportation in foreign countries, then go for it. Some people have problems with that in their home countries 😀

There are also the issues of things like observing proper customs, which is really for any part of the world. Travelling to churches in Rome you would dress a certain way, for example. A tour would make sure you are aware of these things, but also a simple Google search will educate you also.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I don't think the passport stamps matter.   "An estimated 450,000 Israeli tourists have visited UAE in the last 2 years".  from:  https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/how-israel-and-the-uae-are-growing-their-tourism-links/

It is probably one of the safest countries to get on a cruise, with an intentional homicide rate 10% of the USA's.

35 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

I don't think the passport stamps matter.   "An estimated 450,000 Israeli tourists have visited UAE in the last 2 years".  from:  https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/how-israel-and-the-uae-are-growing-their-tourism-links/

It is probably one of the safest countries to get on a cruise, with an intentional homicide rate 10% of the USA's.

MSC sail from Saudi Arabia and Egypt, too.  The Saudis ban Israelis from entry entirely. Currently, they say they'll accept an Israeli stamp in other passports.  If I were in the OP's shoes, I'm not sure how I'd feel about trying to enter by air, then board in Jeddah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

To be clear, UAE is COMPLETELY different from the rest of the middle East. Passport stamps can definitely be a problem depending on the country you go to.

But you are correct about the area, in general, being safe. I would worry about going to Iran as a US citizen right now, for example...but the countries the cruises go to are very safe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

MSC sail from Saudi Arabia and Egypt, too.  The Saudis ban Israelis from entry entirely. Currently, they say they'll accept an Israeli stamp in other passports.  If I were in the OP's shoes, I'm not sure how I'd feel about trying to enter by air, then board in Jeddah.

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure how the OP is getting on the ship. I assumed traveling to Jeddah and not embarking there. I don't know post covid but pre you needed a Visa to enter...I'm assuming you still do. The visa process is very detailed so if that is approved the OP should have no problems.

Edited by alyssamma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Israel does not stamp the passport of visitors. They issue a small "Border Control" card about the size of your drivers license. It includes your name, passport number, arrival date and photo. You get to retain it when you depart Israel. There is nothing in your passport to indicate you were ever in Israel.

1 hour ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Israel does not stamp the passport of visitors. They issue a small "Border Control" card about the size of your drivers license. It includes your name, passport number, arrival date and photo. You get to retain it when you depart Israel. There is nothing in your passport to indicate you were ever in Israel.

Yes, that's true now for entry as a tourist. It wasn't always the case.

8 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Yes, that's true now for entry as a tourist. It wasn't always the case.

Yes, but even before you could ask to get the card instead of the stamp.

Things have changed dramatically. Israel tourists can go to UAE and Bahrain and during the WC also to Qatar. 

17 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Having travelled to the Middle East, I'd say most issues would be from government officials and not the general population

I was thinking some time over this and I really wonder what contact with gov officials one could have there except the moment they stamp your passport at immigration. 

By the way, as a tourist I found life much more difficult in Israel on a Shabbat that during Ramadan in muslim countries. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

By the way, as a tourist I found life much more difficult in Israel on a Shabbat that during Ramadan in muslim countries. 

I am learning the truth of this as I will be a first timer on a port stop in Haifa on Succot and everything will be closed with no public transit running, from what I've read so far.  For the first time ever, I will probably be taking a ship's tour instead of going about on my own.  

I was in Istanbul for Ramadan/Eid and it made no difference to my visit, except to enjoy seeing the families fill the parks to enjoy an Iftar picnic together in the evenings.  It was a very festive feeling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

am learning the truth of this as I will be a first timer on a port stop in Haifa on Succot and everything will be closed with no public transit running, from what I've read so far. 

And public transport from/to the airport stopped also, that was the most fascinating thing.

We are also in Haifa on a cruise this year, thankfully on a Thursday. When the cruise lines make their schedules they really should not bring their guests to Israel on Shabbat. On the other hand of cause that makes the demand for ship tours growing a lot 😄

Ramadan in Istanbul is of cause the super light version ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

was thinking some time over this and I really wonder what contact with gov officials one could have there except the moment they stamp your passport at immigration. 

Lol, this is exactly what I meant. Those guys can be brutal. Once past immigration you are good.

Again, my experience is all pre covid...seems like a lot has loosened up over there...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Lol, this is exactly what I meant. Those guys can be brutal. Once past immigration you are good.

As a local told me in Qatar many years before, one must understand that the guys at airport immigration always have bad mood, they are the only citizens who actually have to work, all other work is done by foreigners 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

As a local told me in Qatar many years before, one must understand that the guys at airport immigration always have bad mood, they are the only citizens who actually have to work, all other work is done by foreigners 😄 

You know, said as a joke, but there is so much truth behind that. I have heard this many times in Saudi Arabia