Inaugural Sailing Observations

Keith1010

I said this the other day but to me this is the key.

If you enjoyed the prior Crystal experience you will enjoy new Crystal because in the end it is the prior Crystal experience with enhancements.

Dining the same but an enhanced Italian restaurant and if you liked the Tastes for dinner that is back.

On -board service and enhancement terrific.  Walk anywhere and if you are familiar with the crew you will see them everywhere. New people of course. There were always new people.

New rooms?  Yes.

Other new things yes such as the new Lounge.

But the feeling onboard which was what people seemed to be concerned with and the worry the product would be radically changed is the furthest from reality.  It is Crystal all the way but enhanced and when I say enhanced some enhancements made already but others coming over the next months.

And this reaffirms all I have been saying over the many months when for whatever reason was questioned about the statement about the majority of the crew returning and how the core product would be similar with enhancements and now this was not going to be Silversea and so forth.  

So if you were waiting on the side because you didn't know whether the product would be similar to what it was like I would say no need to wait. I have spoken to at least 150 guests now (maybe more) some from this board and everyone says the same as I do.  This is the Crystal that those of us adore. You will also hear on board saying Crystal is back.  And more crew will return in time.  

Keith

• Like 7

Sometimes we will hear of something from someone on board that is incorrect. If you have been told that the floor in Waterside is new or that Palm Court furniture is new that is not the case although both were updated in the 2018 October/November dry dock.

Keith

• Haha 3

OK some additional observations.

Some of you asked are the outdoor vests and polls still on board? Yes.

IMG_2367.jpeg.8dd0a31c3086e8535b1d0f9ed4e33a5d.jpeg

On Board Bookings. Two cruise consultants who also administer Crystal Society.

When you book you will need your credit card as the transaction will be done with them.  

If you are on board in the coming weeks and you think you want to book a 2025 cruise consider an open booking as they are good for three months ($500.00 per person and refundable) and that way you can get a 2.5% discount. I plan to do several of them.)

If you book a specific cruise you will make a 25% deposit as if you were at home.  They can confirm your room real time.

For those of you who remember Bojan from Serenity he will be on Symphony.

You now tap your key card to enter your room and you don't have to remove it from the Crystal card holder.

IMG_2369.jpeg.375f91473167b8debdbf7b56d8f7d9f9.jpeg

I am pretty flexible with bath products such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash and for me the new products are fine. I do like the tube as it is very easy to squeeze each tube as you might toothpaste versus hard containers or even the previous ones where sometimes it was hard to open the lids.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I just me up with Anne Marie in the lounge.  So you have all seen the tables and chairs the middle and I've already mentioned that they are comfortable.  Around the perimeter of the table are wing back (high back) chairs with coffee tables and they are even more comfortable. This is a great meet up place. Whereas sometimes Anne Marie would go to the Cove this is just a nice place to visit.  If you told me this was here from day one of Serenity I would believe you.  

This reenforces my view that pictures do not do justice to rooms and that you need to experience it for yourself without rushing to Judgement.  In short, the area looks great.

Finally, people need to remember that the furniture on ships must meet fire codes and this is way different than at your own home.

And as I've said before maybe it's not your taste in furniture but someone else might say that about the furniture in your very own home.  If we all had the same taste we would not have so much variety would we?

Keith

IMG_2394.jpeg.da554075a440d4f675b5cdd1c1f92784.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Eh, he's a big boy.  He can take care of himself.  

This is what I always want to say when somebody advises Keith not to spend so much time on the computer, so he can enjoy his vacation. Keith is a big boy. He knows how to enjoy his vacation!

• Like 8

On this cruise they have a group vintage room dinner and they have enough people signed up. I know they offered a lunch vintage room but do not believe enough people signed up.

So I had posted that the dinner last night was excellent. One fellow member of this group said I was wrong. She said not just excellent but better than ever. Good point. Another person says the lobster she had was the best she has eaten.

Keith

• Like 4

Good morning everyone. 

I do want to mention I am happy to answer many questions which I am doing but as I mentioned on the other thread I am here to have a good time so there will be questions I choose not to answer either because of lack of time or maybe for some other reason.

As I have noted for many months and since boarding the majority of the crew returned but certainly there are new crew as well in many positions as there are new to Crystal people on land with returning members from Crystal.  While headcount in some positions have been reduced because you have less guests in other positions they have been increased (butlers come to mind) as every room now has a butler. But if I didn't know in many cases who was new and who was not I wouldn't know which says a lot for the new hires.  This is not to say that new hires know it all as certainly there is a learning curve but that is why they had a soft opening followed by the TA/Media cruise. That gave them two cruises before we boarded.

As I noted on the other tread I would say the biggest items still in the works are system/IT related. 

Final item. I have not gone into the stores yet but the former high rollers room has gone back to being a store as it was before it was converted and part of the store has Crystal logo items such as shirts for sale.

Keith

• Like 5

Sometimes pictures tell a thousand words but sometimes pictures do not tell the complete story.

For example:

I was in The Bistro this morning. First time I set foot inside since we boarded although I have walked by.  Standing inside I remarked that the change up looks real good with the wooden like flooring and the new colors on the wall. The room is the same size but between the changes I mentioned plus the furniture it looks larger and very nice with its new look.  To me much enhanced over the photo.

So maybe don't judge the book (room) by its cover (photo) and see (read it) for yourselves.

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, happy cruising said:

How has the internet been? I know you’ve been on board only 3 days but do you notice any improvement in availability and response time from the old Crystal? Thanks. 

Internet much better than before most of the time. A few time slow going but I am picky about the internet given all I post so overall pleased.

With that said I hear of a few people having issues.  Could it be something in their room?  Possible.  Or could it be their device or internet browser? Possible.

So overall good and I believe they will make it better.

Keith

For those of you who ask what has changed here's one. Name badges.

Years ago some guests would say "I can't read the name of the crew member as the lettering is too small". Back then not a problem for me. Fast forward years later and I am thinking to myself the same thing.

The new name badges are much easier to read as they eliminated the home city which allowed them to go from three to two lines and make the letters much larger.

While you know longer know their home city you can easily ask them as part of your converstation.

Keith
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:
For those of you who ask what has changed here's one. Name badges.

Years ago some guests would say "I can't read the name of the crew member as the lettering is too small". Back then not a problem for me. Fast forward years later and I am thinking to myself the same thing.

The new name badges are much easier to read as they eliminated the home city which allowed them to go from three to two lines and make the letters much larger.

While you know longer know their home city you can easily ask them as part of your converstation.

Keith

I found it useful to know the origin,  now you have to ask 

maybe not useful  to people  only speaking English  - must agree on that 

Old Crystal was the only company to do that , on Hapag there a now people working from Tunisia , i find it silly to speak German to those people as French is the 2nd language for both of us.

I was recently on SS , find it difficult to ask to non Asian people where are you from ?  Suppose the reply is Croatia , yes then it stops . 

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

I found it useful to know the origin,  now you have to ask 

maybe not useful  to people  only speaking English  - must agree on that 

Old Crystal was the only company to do that , on Hapag there a now people working from Tunisia , i find it silly to speak German to those people as French is the 2nd language for both of us.

I was recently on SS , find it difficult to ask to non Asian people where are you from ?  Suppose the reply is Croatia , yes then it stops . 

Funny (to me), b/c if I were from Europe I might say, oh! you and I are continent-mates! Or, oh, you’re just 1000 kilometers from me! And folllowed by, happy to meet you, with a smile.

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

Suppose the reply is Croatia , yes then it stops . 

Only if you choose to stop.  Are they from the coast or from inland?  Have they lived elsewhere?  And all the other conversational items you would with someone from an area you might know better.

Seems like you are self-limiting your interactions.

Hi Keith,

On the wine list you or someone else posted I did not see a German Riesling. OC had Dr. Loosen blue Slate . If you wouldn’t mind asking the sommelier next time he or  she comes over whether a German Riesling is available I would be appreciative.

Thank you.

Hey Keith, another one from me, does Crystal still have paper port guides for every port, I very much enjoyed them in the past and I hope they’re still continuing that tradition?

As always, thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

2 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

Hi Keith,

On the wine list you or someone else posted I did not see a German Riesling. OC had Dr. Loosen blue Slate . If you wouldn’t mind asking the sommelier next time he or  she comes over whether a German Riesling is available I would be appreciative.

Thank you.

There is a German Riesling for sure. If I can remember I will ask.

Keith

3 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

Only if you choose to stop.  Are they from the coast or from inland?  Have they lived elsewhere?  And all the other conversational items you would with someone from an area you might know better.

Seems like you are self-limiting your interactions.

no  , not at all  just communicating in their own language ...