Changes since 2017

mohawk1129

6 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I received a paper Fun Times every evening in my mailbox on my Pride cruises last month.  But it was definitely slimmed down. 

I hated having to go to the Coffee stop to pick one up,  that’s awesome to hear they are back!!  I didn’t get one in June or the 5 sailing before that. Really glad they restarted! Thank you 🙂

Edited by KyloRen

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Wow there's a lot of 'misinformation' in this thread.

1) Paper Fun Times, delivered to your cabin, resumed recently.

2) There's no such thing as traditional 'Midnight Buffet' anymore.  What has returned are some decent late night food offerings besides pizza. That happened in July.

3) There are not table cloths on the vast majority of Carnival ships, even on Elegant Night.  You get a lovely little seashell on the table! 

4) At no time in the last 20+ years of cruising have I ever witnessed 90% of cruisers in suits/sportcoats in the MDR on Elegant Night. Collared shirt and khakis would be mostly the norm.  Doesn't matter if it's 3 nights to the Bahamas or a 14 night Journeys. 

orrr things change pretty darn fast and this is a really helpful board to learn whats new as of this month ^.^ I sailed 6x since restart on carnival but haven’t been on board in a couple months

Edited by KyloRen
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:11 PM, bettysuetraveler said:

are we allowed to choose if we get morning or evening cleaning service?

Our room steward (on Venezia, 6/19/23) did not ask but just started doing it in morning, which we prefer anyway. On embarkation day when he first introduced himself, we asked for bathrobes and a third bath towel, which he brought back quite quickly, and he also gave us his card with a number to call if we needed anything. During the cruise, we often saw him in the area in late afternoon and evening, so I expect you could have evening service if you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Midnight buffet is back as of this month, actually.  But, I don't know how it compares to the old one.

It doesn’t.  The old buffets were fancy and gorgeous.  The current ones put out some mediocre late-night snacks (tortilla chips, chicken tenders, pizza, cookies…).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

It doesn’t.  The old buffets were fancy and gorgeous.  The current ones put out some mediocre late-night snacks (tortilla chips, chicken tenders, pizza, cookies…).

Journey cruises have them like they used to be.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 8:51 AM, jsglow said:

Wow there's a lot of 'misinformation' in this thread.

1) Paper Fun Times, delivered to your cabin, resumed recently.

2) There's no such thing as traditional 'Midnight Buffet' anymore.  What has returned are some decent late night food offerings besides pizza. That happened in July.

3) There are not table cloths on the vast majority of Carnival ships, even on Elegant Night.  You get a lovely little seashell on the table! 

4) At no time in the last 20+ years of cruising have I ever witnessed 90% of cruisers in suits/sportcoats in the MDR on Elegant Night. Collared shirt and khakis would be mostly the norm.  Doesn't matter if it's 3 nights to the Bahamas or a 14 night Journeys. 

BINGO!

I am glad someone called this out.

1. Fun Times is definitely back in print form. We still throw ours away but it was delivered every evening 2 weeks ago..

2. It's a very limited buffet. 

3. Yep!

4. Exactly. In fact, 2 weeks ago on the Celebration we sat close to the entrance on both elegant nights and I could see everyone come in. I was watching people come in, and I am not sure I saw 10 suits on either night. Most guys were in shorts or khakis and polos. I haven't worn long pants to an elegant night on Carnival since 2016. 

Hello everyone!!  😊 I haven't cruised since 2016 and have been reading up a lot on the changes. I've gathered that we no longer get our S&S cards at the port, prior to boarding. Is this correct? And if so, where do we get them now? We aren't priority and probably not getting FTTF this next cruise.

12 minutes ago, MommyCrankyPants said:

Hello everyone!!  😊 I haven't cruised since 2016 and have been reading up a lot on the changes. I've gathered that we no longer get our S&S cards at the port, prior to boarding. Is this correct? And if so, where do we get them now? We aren't priority and probably not getting FTTF this next cruise.

This is correct. You get them in your cabin mailbox, placed there by the steward when the cabins are ready.

Until then, you use your boarding pass to make purchases (and sign in for muster).

• Like 4

On 8/1/2023 at 9:14 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Oh, they only serve drinks with flavored candy straws now, which can melt before you are finished drinking the beverage. 

They were candy???  I didn't like the way they felt in my mouth.  In this case, no straw was better than this straw.  Still, had a great cruise 😉

REGARDING NO SMOKING IN THE CABINS:  huh???  multiple times the smell of marijuana drifted into our cabin from ??? no idea.  but someone was smoking.  makes me kind of nervous... can't they just buy gummies???

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

MAJOR changes since we started cruising (in 2010). Not sure how many disappeared before 2017 but:

Past guest "reunion" is now limited to Platinum + (no longer for 2nd cruise and beyond (with cheers when "our ships" (Holiday, Fantasy. Ecstasy) showed on the screen!)

No Last night "glad you were here for the cruise" cocktail hour and dancing.

No basket of "extra" amenities in the cabin - just the basics --- a bar of soap and dispensers in the shower.

As stated - once a day room service --- unless otherwise requested (reluctantly delivered).

No pre-filled fridge with sodas, beers and liquors.

No liquor pre-orders for the cabin - I just saw this --- haven't confirmed.

No unlimited champagne at the Art auction.

No chocolates and evening turn down service.

Pickup Plat + perks at Pixels - no longer in cabin delivery.

Printed "Fun Times" only if requested.

I think Priority Platinum + embarkation is back. Will know for sure in October.

Bacon in the buffet is occasionally available and always served.

SO disappointed if I'm limited to 1 lobster tail as is rumored.

Prices are back up (way Up) since "Covid fares" have disappeared... but happy to be sailing again...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

MAJOR changes since we started cruising (in 2010). Not sure how many disappeared before 2017 but:

Past guest "reunion" is now limited to Platinum + (no longer for 2nd cruise and beyond (with cheers when "our ships" (Holiday, Fantasy. Ecstasy) showed on the screen!)

No Last night "glad you were here for the cruise" cocktail hour and dancing.

No basket of "extra" amenities in the cabin - just the basics --- a bar of soap and dispensers in the shower.

As stated - once a day room service --- unless otherwise requested (reluctantly delivered).

No pre-filled fridge with sodas, beers and liquors.

No liquor pre-orders for the cabin - I just saw this --- haven't confirmed.

No unlimited champagne at the Art auction.

No chocolates and evening turn down service.

Pickup Plat + perks at Pixels - no longer in cabin delivery.

Printed "Fun Times" only if requested.

I think Priority Platinum + embarkation is back. Will know for sure in October.

Bacon in the buffet is occasionally available and always served.

SO disappointed if I'm limited to 1 lobster tail as is rumored.

Prices are back up (way Up) since "Covid fares" have disappeared... but happy to be sailing again...

Funtimes are delivered to cabins, two lobsters are still available.  Embarkation is done by times, but boarding is still by priority. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 10:14 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Oh, they only serve drinks with flavored candy straws now, which can melt before you are finished drinking the beverage. 

I'm not a big straw user.  However, they are a must for frozen drinks.  I have some stainless steel straws and silicone straws.  I was thinking about brining them.  Does anyone else bring their own straws?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm not a big straw user.  However, they are a must for frozen drinks.  I have some stainless steel straws and silicone straws.  I was thinking about brining them.  Does anyone else bring their own straws?

I don't use straws much either but now that I think about it, I do like using a little cocktail straw for Alchemy drinks and I don't think they provide them anymore.  I may tuck a straw from my local gin joint into my purse and bring it on my next cruise.😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I don't use straws much either but now that I think about it, I do like using a little cocktail straw for Alchemy drinks and I don't think they provide them anymore.  I may tuck a straw from my local gin joint into my purse and bring it on my next cruise.😉

Not a bad idea.  We have brought straws and then forgotten them in the cabin….

• 2 weeks later...

Just cruised in June on Venezia, first time since 2019. 
Poster “wickoffclan” above mentions no more prefilled fridge with sodas, beer, and mini liquor bottles. That for me is an improvement. Room for my wine and chilling water bottles, and no need to find room for that other stuff when we remove it (or worry about possibly getting charged for it).