Thanksgiving on board NCL

cruiseny4life

Well, last night we booked a Transatlantic from Spain to NYC. Apparently we enjoy cruising holidays. We've already cruised over New Years Eve/Day and Easter. Now we're cruising Thanksgiving. Since many of our fine fellow fare paying passengers will probably not be American, I don't expect anything over the top. I am wondering if those who have sailed could give me a little bit of information on what American Thanksgiving will look like onboard.

Hey y'all - don't worry, it's not the start of my live. I swear. Last year I remember some folks were asking questions about spending Thanksgiving on a ship. It seemed that a mediocre sliced deli turkey, some instant mashed taters with powdered gravy, and canned green beans were the perceived spread. To be transparent (not that it really matters), both of us strongly dislike turkey, so we're kind of excited to not have it. First Thanksgiving ever without turkey! Oh, what will I do? 

We will be sailing on Pr1ma if anyone has specific experience with last year's Thanksgiving. Any other tips/tricks/hacks for sailing during Thanksgiving? Or a Transatlantic? I'm here for them all! 

I'm going to take a huge guess and assume a giant turkey won't be starting us down as we enjoy our Thanksgiving day? 

Gobble Gobble! Carnival Invites a Giant Turkey to Thanksgiving on the  Carnival Breeze | Carnival Cruise Line News

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcarnival-news.com%2F2012%2F11%2F21%2Fgobble-gobble-carnival-invites-a-giant-turkey-to-thanksgiving-on-the-carnival-breeze%2F&psig=AOvVaw1wEVfjPvysdSFdznPQWIim&ust=1690979706728000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCOCuv7q8u4ADFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

• Haha 4

We were on a very different itinerary last Thanksgiving--the Sky to the Bahamas. But we were hugely disappointed at the complete lack of anything Thanksgiving. We thought they might do something in the buffet, but it was meager at best. I think the main dining rooms had a turkey/dressing option but it was not good at all. They didn't even acknowledge Thanksgiving in the Daily. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey y'all - don't worry, it's not the start of my live

🤣🤣🤣🤣

32 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Well, last night we booked a Transatlantic from Spain to NYC

How exciting for you both.  Sounds like this cruise will afford you many relaxing days.  I love Barcelona…the La Boqueria made me wish we had a rental with a kitchen.  Can’t wait to read everyone’s replies to your questions.

Pr1ma for a transatlantic Thanksgiving cruise…now that’s something to be thankful for😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Well, last night we booked a Transatlantic from Spain to NYC. Apparently we enjoy cruising holidays. We've already cruised over New Years Eve/Day and Easter. Now we're cruising Thanksgiving. Since many of our fine fellow fare paying passengers will probably not be American, I don't expect anything over the top. I am wondering if those who have sailed could give me a little bit of information on what American Thanksgiving will look like onboard.

Hey y'all - don't worry, it's not the start of my live. I swear. Last year I remember some folks were asking questions about spending Thanksgiving on a ship. It seemed that a mediocre sliced deli turkey, some instant mashed taters with powdered gravy, and canned green beans were the perceived spread. To be transparent (not that it really matters), both of us strongly dislike turkey, so we're kind of excited to not have it. First Thanksgiving ever without turkey! Oh, what will I do? 

We will be sailing on Pr1ma if anyone has specific experience with last year's Thanksgiving. Any other tips/tricks/hacks for sailing during Thanksgiving? Or a Transatlantic? I'm here for them all! 

I'm going to take a huge guess and assume a giant turkey won't be starting us down as we enjoy our Thanksgiving day? 

Gobble Gobble! Carnival Invites a Giant Turkey to Thanksgiving on the  Carnival Breeze | Carnival Cruise Line News

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcarnival-news.com%2F2012%2F11%2F21%2Fgobble-gobble-carnival-invites-a-giant-turkey-to-thanksgiving-on-the-carnival-breeze%2F&psig=AOvVaw1wEVfjPvysdSFdznPQWIim&ust=1690979706728000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCOCuv7q8u4ADFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Don’t believe everything on the internet. There is no sliced deli turkey on a ship. And NCL will celebrate the holiday (which is very specific to the US versus Christmas and New Year). 

Some like to get dressed up and got to a restaurant and be served what the cruise line thinks is a good dinner. That’s not what we do at home. We have a table full of food and family eat what they want, as much as they want…. And where do you do that on a ship… the buffet. 

Some ships even try to make the buffet more classy with tablecloths. The menu is carved turkey, ham and all of the fixings. They also have international foods to go with traditional thanksgiving (which is also what we have at home). 

IMG_7541.jpeg.a7dd60321caefe6c516ab1e576fa77f9.jpeg

IMG_7542.jpeg.0e4172c0c537411743749af0930ba989.jpeg

IMG_7536.jpeg.d8a16ce78e7701e480019450ef4f1385.jpegIMG_7537.jpeg.372053fa91215c11fcdac44c3ef82679.jpegIMG_7538.jpeg.0dcefa58138d12e311056a50e0fe1f5e.jpegIMG_7540.jpeg.71b56d1d421049a7d4bdcd0cd9138df5.jpeg

IMG_7539.jpeg

IMG_7543.jpeg

IMG_7544.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm cruising over Thanksgiving as well, but on the Joy in Caribbean. I don't eat meat so don't really care if there is turkey or not, but I do like a reason to celebrate! Maybe they will pull out some hidden Veuve for us 😂

• Haha 3

Having sailed on a Norwegian ship the 2nd Monday of October (the Canadian Thanksgiving), there were decorations and lots and lots of what we would consider "a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner".  The Canadians on that cruise were dressed in fancy long formals and tuxes.

Only difference because it was a Monday there was only ONE football game instead of football all day.

I had a great time on that cruise and would love to do another one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

some instant mashed taters with powdered gravy

Hey, don't be dissing on instant mashed potatoes! (I can do without the gravy though...) I might be weird, but I like them as much (in a different way, like hard ice-cream, and soft-serve) as real mashed potatoes!

(Also, I agree, I'm not over the top about turkey, but my daughter loves it.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Twocoasts said:

We were on a very different itinerary last Thanksgiving--the Sky to the Bahamas. But we were hugely disappointed at the complete lack of anything Thanksgiving. We thought they might do something in the buffet, but it was meager at best. I think the main dining rooms had a turkey/dressing option but it was not good at all. They didn't even acknowledge Thanksgiving in the Daily. 

Wow! I'm not totally surprised. I think that is kind of what I'm expecting since this cruise is leaving from Europe. I also like to have low expectations so that, even a marginal experience, will provide me with plenty of joy and pleasant surprises! 

And, to @BirdTravels, as always, thank you for the extensive set of photos! That does look like a fun buffet! Perhaps I'll need to take a wander through the buffet. I don't think we're going to reserve specialty dining for Thanksgiving, so we are able to dine wherever the experience is best: whether that's the main dining room, buffet, or somewhere else. I don't like the turkey you posted, but the ice sculpture is awesome! The bread decorations look cool too. At the very least I'll have to wander through to see what is going on, if anything (again, low expectations here). And, the MDR menu looks yummy. 

2 hours ago, evanskl4 said:

I'm cruising over Thanksgiving as well, but on the Joy in Caribbean. I don't eat meat so don't really care if there is turkey or not, but I do like a reason to celebrate! Maybe they will pull out some hidden Veuve for us 😂

Hahahaha, I'd be happy with a shot or two of Grey Goose at the not upgraded price! We have the regular Free at Sea booze package, not the fancy one so Grey Goose is an added cost for me. I think I'll be sampling Absolut to see how I like that as I believe it's still under $15. 🙂 We almost chose a Joy sailing, though not in November, but rather than Panama Canal sailing in December. Alas, the siren call of Pr1ma got us. I hope it turns out better than many siren calls do for men! 

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Having sailed on a Norwegian ship the 2nd Monday of October (the Canadian Thanksgiving), there were decorations and lots and lots of what we would consider "a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner".  The Canadians on that cruise were dressed in fancy long formals and tuxes.

Only difference because it was a Monday there was only ONE football game instead of football all day.

I had a great time on that cruise and would love to do another one.

I suppose I can hope for soccer, rather than football! Haha....a day full of American football....well, that's not my cup of tea. I had a coach in high school was so pi$$ed at me for not joining the team. I was, and am, a big guy. He saw one of those crouching positions in me. I'm honestly not sure what they're called. I preferred dancing away at "fairy" ball as he called it. Laughs on him! Little did he know...I now identify as such! 🙂

I'm glad you had a great time! It's nice to know you did and I'm certainly hoping you may travel during Thanksgiving again in the future! 

1 hour ago, Grimix said:

Hey, don't be dissing on instant mashed potatoes! (I can do without the gravy though...) I might be weird, but I like them as much (in a different way, like hard ice-cream, and soft-serve) as real mashed potatoes!

(Also, I agree, I'm not over the top about turkey, but my daughter loves it.)

Ok, ok! To each their own. I like the lumps, although honestly, the "silky pomme puree" Norwegian makes is quite good, despite being very smooth and oh so creamy. Mmmmm, thanks. Now I want!

You and I can have all the rib roast or ham while your daughter enjoys the bird!!!

ec62bb98246da5accae3c284c78298d4.jpg

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

How exciting for you both.  Sounds like this cruise will afford you many relaxing days.  I love Barcelona…the La Boqueria made me wish we had a rental with a kitchen.  Can’t wait to read everyone’s replies to your questions.

Pr1ma for a transatlantic Thanksgiving cruise…now that’s something to be thankful for😊

Very thankful for health, a wonderful husband that enjoys cruising too, and our savings that allow us these opportunities! I'm very cognizant many folks aren't as fortunate.

La Boqueria, I'm not sure I can go into a market knowing I'll be on a cruise ship the next day, unable to purchase armloads of fresh foods! I've been reading up on Barcelona to find out what we'll do with our, at least one full day. Hopefully NCL BOGO Air gets us there two days in advance so we have even more time to wander, explore, and enjoy. 

• Like 2

We've cruised over several Thanksgivings with NCL - because it's my birthday week and a week our son was out of school.  There was alway turkey, dressing, and the usual sides.  There were also other options.  I've never been a huge turkey fan (until I spatchcocked one last year - that was delicious and JUICY!) so I would always get something else but DH is like a moth to the flame with turkey.

I think sailing FROM the US will help with having a bit more Thanksgiving, but there are very few decorations and the oens that were up were a tad tacky, IMO.  But I have no doubt someone would have complained if there had been none.

Edited by GORDONCHICK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

We've cruised over several Thanksgivings with NCL - because it's my birthday week and a week our son was out of school.  There was alway turkey, dressing, and the usual sides.  There were also other options.  I've never been a huge turkey fan (until I spatchcocked one last year - that was delicious and JUICY!) so I would always get something else but DH is like a moth to the flame with turkey.

Someday I'm spatchcocking? Oh my - that name....I'm, I'm not going there......it's so hard not to.

Anyway, thank you! I'm glad the usuals are there, minus the turkey. We'll wish a happy birthday to your son from somewhere in the Atlantic! 

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

And, to @BirdTravels, as always, thank you for the extensive set of photos! That does look like a fun buffet!

Our Thanksgiving cruise happened to be right after a VIP/Media non-revenue cruise, so they served the VIP left overs to us for Thanksgiving 

You should never expect to see this on a revenue NCL cruise. 

Lobster claws, king crab, snow crab... Happy Thanksgiving... 

image.png.affd9c2ec71c10eeb6204f84262a6c9d.png

image.png.76ab4157fba73c72eca99600c3832925.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hopefully NCL BOGO Air gets us there two days in advance so we have even more time to wander, explore, and enjoy. 

They should as long as you request it, at least 75 days in advance.  Make sure the deviation is listed on your cruise confirmation, otherwise they'll fly you in the day of your cruise.

5 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Looking forward to reading all about it!   What made you pick this one?

This was a late find! We had been discussing a Panama Canal cruise on Joy and a Western Caribbean cruise on Breakaway. Then, we discovered this Transatlantic on Pr1ma! All three of the cruises were roughly the same price, inclusive of airfare. Joy and Breakaway are going to many of the same ports we went to in March, so Pr1ma was definitely a good option in terms of itineraries.

Ever since we went to Bermuda on our first cruise, we've been trying to get back. Here's another shot at getting there! Plus, the way the dates fall, we get two days in Barcelona ahead of the cruise, we'll wander the streets of Cartagena, and then see Ponta Delgado (a place I had never heard of before). I am fond of the Atlantic islands though: Bermuda, Falklands, and Faroes, so why not actually get to the Azores when we have the opportunity!

Bonus: after all that March drama regarding the passport, we both now have US passports which means a whole new world opens up to us! Like everything outside of the northern and western hemisphere. 🙂

I've seen some great Pr1ma reviews and obviously know others have had terrible experiences. I'm certainly hoping for the former!! I can't get over Pr1ma's thermal suite and I really want to try out Indulge Food Hall. We're not getting Vibe. With that Haven sundeck, I just don't think it's necessary. Plus, we'll have the thermal suite on what will probably be a chilly cruise. 

After booking and the husband looking at entertainment, he asked "is there really only one show?" Which, those of us on Cruise Critic know to be true. We can't really get excited over Price is Right. It's not part of his culture. And, it was summer vacation TV when I was a kid, so it's kind of hokey for me. I'm hoping there are some fly-on entertainers and/or something kind of, sort of similar to Broadway Unplugged (Getaway's show).

So, I can't really say there is any one specific reason. More a confluence of events. That definitely includes @emmacruises series of videos on Pr1ma from a couple months ago. Those videos made me really excited for Pr1ma. OH! And (this will sound terrible), I strongly dislike Thanksgiving. Too much work cooking, cleaning, washing dishes. Not great food. My family cooks well. They just don't make food I really like. This is a perfect excuse for my first time away from home Thanksgiving...maybe a new tradition?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

They should as long as you request it, at least 75 days in advance.  Make sure the deviation is listed on your cruise confirmation, otherwise they'll fly you in the day of your cruise.

We do have the deviation and it is listed on our confirmation. We made sure of that! What I'm super surprised at is our PCC told me it had to be done last night when we paid for the cruise. She mentioned something about 110 days in advance. Well, we're at 111 days today. I haven't heard of that and can't find any justification in the terms and conditions. Maybe it's because we booked after final payment. I don't know or it's an international cruise? I don't know.

You're always quite knowledgeable, along with @hallux about the BOGO. Have y'all heard of 110 days before for deviations?

If you're wondering, we booked through the PCC, because the discount in the NCL.com booking funnel wouldn't help this booking and my husband had a discount coupon on his account that I could not apply, but the PCC could (the percent off was far more than the commission I'd make).

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Our Thanksgiving cruise happened to be right after a VIP/Media non-revenue cruise, so they served the VIP left overs to us for Thanksgiving 

You should never expect to see this on a revenue NCL cruise. 

Lobster claws, king crab, snow crab... Happy Thanksgiving... 

image.png.affd9c2ec71c10eeb6204f84262a6c9d.png

image.png.76ab4157fba73c72eca99600c3832925.png

Oh. My. Gosh. I want this!!! Someday perhaps I'll get on one of those VIP cruises (I kinda doubt I will)....I'd take leftovers, but alas, I don't think those are in the cards for my sailing. What a Thanksgiving spread you Birds enjoyed!

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We do have the deviation and it is listed on our confirmation. We made sure of that! What I'm super surprised at is our PCC told me it had to be done last night when we paid for the cruise. She mentioned something about 110 days in advance. Well, we're at 111 days today. I haven't heard of that and can't find any justification in the terms and conditions. Maybe it's because we booked after final payment. I don't know or it's an international cruise? I don't know.

You're always quite knowledgeable, along with @hallux about the BOGO. Have y'all heard of 110 days before for deviations?

If you're wondering, we booked through the PCC, because the discount in the NCL.com booking funnel wouldn't help this booking and my husband had a discount coupon on his account that I could not apply, but the PCC could (the percent off was far more than the commission I'd make).

From my understanding, 110 days out is the "new" timeframe for choosing the airfare option - it had been 90.  But as far as I know, it's still 75 days for choosing a deviation.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind cruising on Thanksgiving, but I'm pretty sure the wife wouldn't go for it. She's very traditional when it comes to holidays and birthdays. Plus, the Labrador would be devastated if we weren't there to give her turkey.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, omahabob said:

I wouldn't mind cruising on Thanksgiving, but I'm pretty sure the wife wouldn't go for it. She's very traditional when it comes to holidays and birthdays. Plus, the Labrador would be devastated if we weren't there to give her turkey.

Our pups (two Goldens, two hounds) and cat will be highly upset. I have a feeling family members will take great care of them, especially since they'll feel bad due to us traveling. 

We are very non-traditional! I'm trying to figure out how to build tradition into our holidays. I think an amazing first step is to start cruising on the holidays! 

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Prime advice, don't believe what is on the internet.  Yet we've had, and others have posted pictures, sliced deli turkey in Haven for breakfast at the mini buffet.  Unless that was in Area 51.

Hahaha you're so right about the sliced deli turkey for breakfast. Ham, prosciutto, etc. also. I meant for the big ole traditional Thanksgiving meal! @BirdTravels was so helpful showing off roasts and ham, not just turkey. Thank g-d for us! 

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Don’t believe everything on the internet. There is no sliced deli turkey on a ship. And NCL will celebrate the holiday (which is very specific to the US versus Christmas and New Year). 

Some like to get dressed up and got to a restaurant and be served what the cruise line thinks is a good dinner. That’s not what we do at home. We have a table full of food and family eat what they want, as much as they want…. And where do you do that on a ship… the buffet. 

Some ships even try to make the buffet more classy with tablecloths. The menu is carved turkey, ham and all of the fixings. They also have international foods to go with traditional thanksgiving (which is also what we have at home). 

IMG_7541.jpeg.a7dd60321caefe6c516ab1e576fa77f9.jpeg

IMG_7542.jpeg.0e4172c0c537411743749af0930ba989.jpeg

IMG_7536.jpeg.d8a16ce78e7701e480019450ef4f1385.jpegIMG_7537.jpeg.372053fa91215c11fcdac44c3ef82679.jpegIMG_7538.jpeg.0dcefa58138d12e311056a50e0fe1f5e.jpegIMG_7540.jpeg.71b56d1d421049a7d4bdcd0cd9138df5.jpeg

IMG_7539.jpeg

IMG_7543.jpeg

IMG_7544.jpeg

Having seen these pics before our Thanksgiving 2022 cruise, that's what we were expecting. But on our cruise there were no ice sculpture, no cute Thanksgiving display, and a very underwhelming meal in the dining room. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

Having seen these pics before our Thanksgiving 2022 cruise, that's what we were expecting. But on our cruise there were no ice sculpture, no cute Thanksgiving display, and a very underwhelming meal in the dining room. 

🎶Snap back to reality🎶

Thanks for the post-COVID reality check. Again, low expectations. I gotta have those low expectations...I could break out into song about that too! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/1/2023 at 8:38 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Hey @cruiseny4life!

I am cruising during Thanksgiving this year too.  I'll be on the Breakaway - want to compare notes?  Pr1ma is on my list for 2025 so looking forward to your very insightful observations.

I was on the Prima for Thanskgiving last year.  At the time the Prima had one menu for the whole cruise in the MDRs.  Think I heard they have since changed that, but I could be wrong.  They did however have a special turkey and sides option on the menu for Thanksgiving.  Not a fan of turkey, so I didn't choose that meal.  Honestly, I don't remember seeing any special decorations.  That said, I'm not sure I visited the buffet that day.  Pretty sure it was a port day as well.  The decorations couldn't have been inspiring if I don't remember seeing them, right.  So far Halloween is my favorite holiday to be on a cruise.  Those decorations I can remember.

Indulge Food Hall is amazing.  My biggest complaint is that it was always wicked crowded.  Finding a seat sometimes was impossible.  I enjoyed the Prima for the most part.  Is it my favorite ship, no.  Most of my complaints were due to over crowding.  It was a big wake up from what I had grown accustom to while covid rules were in effect.  I miss half empty ships...  The Donna Summers who was AMAZING!!  Make your reservations early for everything you'd like to do.  Have a great time!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

Hey @cruiseny4life!

I am cruising during Thanksgiving this year too.  I'll be on the Breakaway - want to compare notes?  Pr1ma is on my list for 2025 so looking forward to your very insightful observations.

Oh my, yes!!! Are you on a Western Caribbean cruise or will Breakaway not quite be home porting in New Orleans yet? I know you don't do write ups like some of us, but I'd certainly love to read your observations! 

I'll attempt to be insightful, but you know I get a wee bit distracted!