New to excursions: Skagway question

PairObears

We're brand new to Princess and this is only our second cruise after a Western Caribbean on Carnival. I have a question about the timing between shore excursions on our upcoming 7-day RT from Seattle on Royal in late Aug.

We booked 2 different excursions through Princess. The first is a sled dog experience from 10:30 AM - 1:45 PM. We next have the White Pass Scenic railway from 2:15 - 5pm. That puts the 2 excursions only 30 minutes apart. The main reason I scheduled it this way is that my wife does not like to eat dinner late. Taking the later train tour puts us back at the ship at 7:45pm. She wasn't a fan of that if it can be avoided. 

Anyone see any major issues with this plan? Both excursions  start and end at the ship, I think. We may need to pack a snack. I can't imagine we'll be able to find anything quick to eat dockside. Any reason why the 5-7:45 train tour would be a better choice? We'll be in Skagway on a Tuesday in late August if that makes a difference. 

Appreciate any advice at this point!

It's tight, but doable. I agree with R&J. 

Good that you booked through the ship. If you're late getting back from the first, then they'll likely be able to put you on the later 5-745pm trip on the train. If that happens, you can go back to the ship to freshen up and eat something, then get on the 5pm trip.

I would probably be okay with booking what you've booked. 

Edit to add: you're probably not alone in doing this. But let the first tour guide know you have a second excursion scheduled. No scenic route back to the ship, in other words, is what you wanna ask them.

Edited by Outerdog

We tried two excursions in the same port. Never again as the time was very short as the first one came back 1/2 hour late. And it was in Skagway.  it was many years ago but we still remember it.  Also you can not take any non prepackaged food off the ship.

Edited by Potstech

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

A bit tight...and you will not have an opportunity to eat lunch (unless you brown bag it) but if you are not concerned with that then it will probably be OK.

As I remember, Alaska doesn't allow (or didn't the last time we went in 2018) any food to be taken off the ship unless it is pre-packaged so OP if you decide to brown bag it, don't try to take food from the buffet or any other restaurant on the ship.  My DB even was stopped (back in 2012) when taking a cup of coffee off.

• Like 1

I’d be nervous as the train leaves punctually. They won’t refund your train excursion if you plan back to back excursions, so you’re risking a lot of money. Excursions can easily return late, so personally, I’d recommend doing the evening train. Shop or go back onboard to eat lunch between excursions.

Edited by cruisequeen4ever
  • Like 1

Since Princess sold you the two excursions, I'd feel confident that they will either refund the second one or put you on the later train if your first excursion returns late. The meeting point for the train is likely outside near where you board, not all the way back on the ship. You could always ask ahead of time at the shore excursions desk.

As for eating quickly in Skagway, we had a 40 minute break between excursions and were able to grab a quick bowl of crab bisque and a beer at the Skagway Fish Company before we boarded the train. It is located right there. A lot will depend on when your excursion returns but soup is always ready so just let the server know what your timing is.

• Like 1