Viking Dining Reservations Guarantee

Seair

53 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Also on the first day, they will try and accommodate those who have not had the opportunity to reserve yet. They will ask you to come back the next day if you are trying to book an additional reservation.

This happened to us also.  They simply would not let us in one night.  Period.  I really think Viking needs to manage this better.  Pick a policy, announce it, and stick to it.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

We did 21 nights on Sky last September, and except for the first three days, you could get into either of the two specialty restaurants on any night. We went to Manfredi's once, late in the cruise and there were a number of empty tables. To be honest, food in the buffet is better than either of the specialty restaurants. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We did 21 nights on Sky last September, and except for the first three days, you could get into either of the two specialty restaurants on any night. We went to Manfredi's once, late in the cruise and there were a number of empty tables. To be honest, food in the buffet is better than either of the specialty restaurants. 

Where’s my sad button?

However, this varies from ship to ship, and perhaps even from cruise to cruise on the same ship. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Also on the first day, they will try and accommodate those who have not had the opportunity to reserve yet. They will ask you to come back the next day if you are trying to book an additional reservation.

I appreciate this 💚 I like the idea of sharing the joy of cruising with Viking

On 8/3/2023 at 2:39 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Just use the app.  We made all the additional reservations we wanted on embarkation day.  

• Like 1

Only on my recent "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise was I totally unable to get Chef's Table reservations onboard for ANY night (that were not at unacceptable to me 8:30PM seatings). I was in a PV.

That was not really a problem on this great cruise but now worried about fall cruise where when I went to book Manfreidi's, the 1st 5 nights were totally unavailable and subsequent nights were all @8:30PM or later. I hope that something significant has not changed. Again in a PV.

Edited by philw1776

We were just on NYC-Iceland 14 day cruise.  Didn't book any reservations (DV) ahead of the cruise.  But on the cruise, we had way more choices for specialty restaurants than we needed.  Had no problem getting 6 or 6:30 slots at CT or Manfredis on just about any night.  In fact, the 2nd half became pretty wide open, as they told us so many people cancel out.  Even then, she said if there is a problem, just show up and you likely will get in (especially at 6 PM) since they have a real problem with people who never bother to even cancel a reservation they have but don't want to use. (No-Shows are increasing apparently).  Keep that in mind.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

Not so much that they decide not to go, but they aren't respectful enough to cancel their reservation.  Also, speaking to several on board who did cancel, the major reasons were that they booked the reservations before coming onboard and now it conflicted with another activity or a late excursion or they were tired.

I do think that many people who aren't familiar with CT might likely be ones who cancel after one visit if they find it isn't their style.  

Do I take it from your tone that you yourself do not like the specialty restaurants? or that you don't even like Viking cruises period?

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 5

• 9 months later...

Each cabin class has a certain number of 'priority' reservations per cruise.  What happens on a multi-segment cruise where 3 cruises are booked back-to-back, and one stays on for all 3 segments.  Does that mean the number of 'priority' reservations allowed for one of those segments is multiplied by 3?   Maybe someone has experienced this.

2 hours ago, lz7rdgjh said:

Each cabin class has a certain number of 'priority' reservations per cruise.  What happens on a multi-segment cruise where 3 cruises are booked back-to-back, and one stays on for all 3 segments.  Does that mean the number of 'priority' reservations allowed for one of those segments is multiplied by 3?   Maybe someone has experienced this.

Yes. We got 6 total for each on a two segment. Had no idea why at the time. And, by the way, more than three in either is redundant.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.  That is the way I thought it might work.  The redundancy might depend on the length of the trip - not sure.  The wife loves the Chef's Table and like Manfredi's.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Yes. We got 6 total for each on a two segment. Had no idea why at the time. And, by the way, more than three in either is redundant.

Same here. We had 2 segments and 6 reservations. It was unexpected.

DH likes Chef's Table and usually I like Manfredi's.  But on that particular cruise last year, we didn't use them all.  It was too much.

4 hours ago, lz7rdgjh said:

When were you first aware you had the extra reservations?

I suppose after we had booked three for each it allowed us to do more.

Thanks.  The reason I'm asking is because we booked a 3-segment cruise very early and we are not yet in the window for advanced reservations.  At first, the extra available bookings were noted on the invoice and on MVJ but shortly after that, those notations were removed, and I have never seen them again.  So, your input is helpful in planning this part of the cruise.  Thanks again.

22 hours ago, lz7rdgjh said:

Our recent 36 day cruise generated 12 reservations in each restaurant, although we didn’t book even half.  Three 7 day segments and one longer segment, even though we booked it as one long trip with one booking number.