Unpopular Opinion: I'm excited about the changes to Plus and Premier

drwbrt

Yes, I know the package prices are more than favorable than most of the opposition, but passengers without packages (or last years' packages) will be paying for what was included at the time of booking. So be it, but then the Princess PR spin says they are giving you more, which is absolute bollocks to those that are getting less. There are winners and losers. We have 3 Princess cruises booked:

1st - Majestic Princess with last years' version of premier. Alfredo's was free and Ocean Now charges didn't exist when we booked. We lose on this, or we pay extra to upgrade to the current premier price/package to keep what we thought we already paid for (they can keep those diabetic desserts and fitness classes)

2nd - Coral Princess with this years' premier package. All included, but it already was when we booked. Priority boarding would be an added bonus, if not already in a suite and elite.

3rd - Half a world cruise in 2025 on Crown, with the current Plus package. We gain either 2 or 4 Salty Dog meals, depending if it is applied for the whole cruise or by sector. No big deal, but it is an extra that somewhat reflects the PR spin about this. 

An earlier comment about Carnival Corp realigning their brands makes no sense if Royal & NCL start to look more attractive.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Mike, how can an optional package that you have no interest in purchasing since it brings no value to you makes your cruise a lessened experience? And if you have read all of the posts in this thread, there are a small percentage of non drinkers that still purchase the plus package because it does bring them value with the combination of no n alcoholic options with the grats and wifi.

Maybe LESSEN was a bad choice of words.  The fact is, I can still pre pay TIPS and WIFI, pre order packs of bottled water for our room and still come out ahead.  We are coffee and tea drinkers.  We used to buy a coffee card @ $40 for a 15 day cruise.  NOW, they've thrown the coffee in with the Beverage package.  So now, we don't drink as many specialty coffee drinks as we did.  We both lost out....  we don't have the option of using the coffee card and receiving a small discount, and Princess has lost additional income from us.  YES, that's a minuscule amount of money... but multiply that by 100s of other older passengers that feel the way we do.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

After factoring out the gratuities and wifi, I believe the balance is 29 per day for all of the non alcoholic drinks, plus the 2 included casual specialty visits, and the included ocean now and room service.  Only you can determine if it's valuable or not.

And don't forget, you have to double that amount for couples!!  so that's now $58 per day, per person.  on a 16 days Hawaiian cruise, that an additional $928.   I'd rather spend that on a better cabin.  but that's personal choice. 

1 minute ago, mikjr said:

YES, that's a minuscule amount of money... but multiply that by 100s of other older passengers that feel the way we do.   

We are in exactly the same situation as you.  For the time being, pre-purchasing water and foregoing the specialty coffee and tea is entirely satisfactory.  If Princess decides to get out of the reasonably priced water business, we'll have to think a little harder about our options but I don't really see that possibility as some sort of reason to abandon ship.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Carnival has a piano bar and nobody touches them when it comes to comedy.  On their Excel Class ships they have two different venues and many days have family and adult shows simultaneously. But, the Sphere Class ships (Sun & Star) should take things up a notch for Princess

We would have chosen Carnival but we couldn’t manage the Havana with availability for our whole group. The Panorama looks too crowded for my liking without something quieter like the Havana. Nevertheless, we are very pleased with our decision to go on the Discovery. We are finding the price and value of the premier to work for us and can’t wait to evaluate the experience. 

On 8/5/2023 at 8:27 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Based on the menus I’ve seen, the $14.99 will cover the complimentary breadsticks with fondue sauce, two small plates and dessert.  The menu looks the same.  
I can only ever finish one small plate so, I’m actually happy about the changes.  

So, for those that haven’t been, the small plates are anything but small.  They are a meal in themselves.  

If they are so large, then many will try to share one for lunch, being able to then only use one of the four credits given per couple.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rosevew said:

Sky has very limited casual options (Alfredo's and Sushi) and certainly not an old rust bucket!  As for the new ships, they really don't appeal.

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.  The new ships may not appeal to you, but they are the only ships we will sail on.  We've done 14 on Discovery and 14 on Majestic.  Have future bookings consisting of 28 on the Enchanted, 15 on the Discovery and 28 on the Sun.

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not being one that is at all upset about the changes, perhaps some common ground would have been to delay the implementation of these changes to occur after final payment date, so that would be 90 days out.  However, I’m sure they analyzed all the financial data and as I’ve stated, they chose the ‘rip the bandaid off approach’.  
The ones that are really voicing their ire about this are those with the standard package and have past final payment date.  It’s probably a small group in comparison.  I don’t really think that Princess would want those cancellations but they are still filling their ships and my guess is, they will continue to do so.  

I am a Standard Fare booker.  I don't really get worked up over the change for Alfredo's/Gigi's to for-fee casual dining when clearly this has been a trend to introduce new CD locations on the ships.  It certainly is a step up from the Lido take-away site with sit-down dining and wait-staff ambiance.  As others have stated, it's more surprising they left it free for this long.  IDK what the right price is for a pizza, but $12 is certainly a very large chunk of the prix fixe option and more than the mains at other  casual dining IIRC.  Anyway, didn't intend to sidetrack myself.

As for the Ocean Now service charge, I just think it is quite odd and ironic that Princess (I am talking about YOU, JP) came out with the Medallion App - the great differentiator to the competition - and now guests have to pay a free to use one of its prime features.  The App functions were built to enhance the onboard experience for the guest.  Remove barriers to a carefree vacation, etc, etc.  The food and drinks come to the guest. Oh, just playback those JP recordings when he was Project Mgr for this.  So, I think this is what kills me about the change more than anything because I think it strikes a blow to the original concept and now the guest pays for use of a software app in effect that was not only to benefit them, but most certainly Princess itself.  I feel like JP has sullied himself in this regard.  That said, $15/voyage isn't going to break me should I choose to use Ocean Now (I never used it previously other than to order that first free drink we used to get a long time back - and even then I was standing by the bar and asked them for the drink I really wanted since it wasn't a choice in the App).

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And why on Earth would you need/want such a thing?  Just show up for check-in when convenient for you, but not later than they request in the Travel Summary itinerary information.

we live and cruise local to the port here in SoCal.  We arrive when our RIDE can take us.  So it's important for us to at least get an idea when we can board so we can schedule our ride accordingly. We like to arrive early enough to walk the ship, have lunch, and unwind.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:09 PM, mikjr said:

With the new packages, you can now buy your way into "Priority Embarkation".   As an Elite for many years, what does that do to our embarkation status??

This is not true.  I think you are misunderstanding something.  Neither Plus nor Premier (on their own) entitles guest to priority embarkation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mikjr said:

YES, that's a minuscule amount of money... but multiply that by 100s of other older passengers that feel the way we do.   

There were a few posts on the boards that mentioned that only 25% of the cruisers use the basic fare while 75% have purchased either plus or premier.  If 40% of the basic fare cruisers are mad enough to leave Princess, that is only 10% (40% of 25%).  10% disgruntled cruisers can be replaced with virgin cruisers to Princess, especially with the new family oriented sections of the Sphere Class ships. And of course that 40% that I hypothesized could be very high.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

As for the Ocean Now service charge, I just think it is quite odd and ironic that Princess (I am talking about YOU, JP) came out with the Medallion App - the great differentiator to the competition - and now guests have to pay a free to use one of its prime features

Well stated Steelers...  I totally agree with your comments...  I'm just upset that this is our first cruise on Discovery, and the decide to change the "Complementary" dining venues AFTER we fully paid our fare.  It would have been nice to allow those FULLY PAID PAX to still take advantage of the old PLAN.  After all, that was part of the agreement we paid for.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Selion said:

@CruizinSusan70  As a CCL stockholder, I applaud your efforts at defending Princess's unpopular changes.

I'm also a stockholder.  I don't like the changes regarding Alfredo's.  We ate there practically every port day and at the MDR each sea day.  We were not impressed with the lunch time offerings at the buffet on the Discovery or the Majestic.  Nothing like the buffets on the Edge Class of X or the included casual non buffet offerings on Carnival.

I learned a long time ago that we don't make the rules, we just play the game.  The rules of the game have now changed on Princess and we can react to those changes with our pocketbook.  Even with the changes, the Plus package is far and away the best value in cruising, to us, maybe others think differently.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We would have chosen Carnival but we couldn’t manage the Havana with availability for our whole group. The Panorama looks too crowded for my liking without something quieter like the Havana. Nevertheless, we are very pleased with our decision to go on the Discovery. We are finding the price and value of the premier to work for us and can’t wait to evaluate the experience. 

We were on the Discovery for 14 days last year and this week just booked for 15 days in 2025.  We loved the ship.  We also did two 8 day sailings on the Horizon, which is the older sister of the Panorama in 2018 & 2019.   Both sailings we stayed in the Havana area.  Had a great time.

53 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yeah tons of kids to piss me off as the play elevator games

Tell us how you really feel.   Less kids on Princess is a good thing.  But Princess is far from perfect.  The buffet on X is 10 times better than what Princess offers , but even with the new changes, the Plus package is a great value for us compared to other lines.  That's why we currently have 9 future cruises on Princess booked and only 5 on Carnival, 2 on X and 3 on RCI.

12 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I'm also a stockholder.  I don't like the changes regarding Alfredo's.  We ate there practically every port day and at the MDR each sea day.  We were not impressed with the lunch time offerings at the buffet on the Discovery or the Majestic.  Nothing like the buffets on the Edge Class of X or the included casual non buffet offerings on Carnival.

I learned a long time ago that we don't make the rules, we just play the game.  The rules of the game have now changed on Princess and we can react to those changes with our pocketbook.  Even with the changes, the Plus package is far and away the best value in cruising, to us, maybe others think differently.  

We studied all of the packages, all of the major cruise lines and feel like Princess will deliver. 

• Like 1

I didn’t notice if this recent Princess press release was posted on this thread, but it definitely goes into detail on a variety of the subjects discussed on this and other similar threads. With regards to Room Service, it’s pretty clear what’s going to happen on voyages commencing after August 12.

Complimentary Room Service Delivery

Princess staterooms are a sanctuary for guests and views from industry leading large balconies are epic. To maximize the stateroom experience, Princess Plus and Princess Premier participants will have the standard $5 per delivery room service charge waived. That means no extra charges for the ease and luxury of on-demand service anywhere, anyplace or anytime on a Princess ship for Plus and Premier Guests.

“We take great pride in pampering our guests with friendly service and exceeding their expectations. By offering the OceanNow Service and Room Service without any additional fees to Princess Plus and Princess Premier guests, we aim to elevate their journey to an unparalleled level of comfort, indulgence and value,” said Sami Kohen, Princess vice president of food and beverage.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/07/princess-adds-casual-dining-exclusive-service-delivery-and-more-to-plus-and-premier-packages-with-no-price-increases.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I didn’t notice if this recent Princess press release was posted on this thread, but it definitely goes into detail on a variety of the subjects discussed on this and other similar threads. With regards to Room Service, it’s pretty clear what’s going to happen on voyages commencing after August 12.

Complimentary Room Service Delivery

Princess staterooms are a sanctuary for guests and views from industry leading large balconies are epic. To maximize the stateroom experience, Princess Plus and Princess Premier participants will have the standard $5 per delivery room service charge waived. That means no extra charges for the ease and luxury of on-demand service anywhere, anyplace or anytime on a Princess ship for Plus and Premier Guests.

“We take great pride in pampering our guests with friendly service and exceeding their expectations. By offering the OceanNow Service and Room Service without any additional fees to Princess Plus and Princess Premier guests, we aim to elevate their journey to an unparalleled level of comfort, indulgence and value,” said Sami Kohen, Princess vice president of food and beverage.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/07/princess-adds-casual-dining-exclusive-service-delivery-and-more-to-plus-and-premier-packages-with-no-price-increases.html

I think for longer cruises … 14+ days, this benefit could turn into great value. Over longer cruises, Plus and Premier have a diminishing return. $5/order will add up. If you are tired or not feeling well, you could order food over the course of the day without incurring any additional cost. Not without value. 

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If they are so large, then many will try to share one for lunch, being able to then only use one of the four credits given per couple.  

I am hoping that’s the case! I don’t see why it wouldn’t be.  I know they have an a la carte menu now, too.  So, even if they don’t allow you to share the $14.99 price fixed menu, it’s still cheaper than it was before with the $18 cover charge.  
I know at Alfredo’s / GiGi’s we could only eat half a pizza each at best.  They are also going to have the option to get a pizza for like $12, I believe.  
We’ve really just loved going for the casual dining options on our last few cruises.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am hoping that’s the case! I don’t see why it wouldn’t be.  I know they have an a la carte menu now, too.  So, even if they don’t allow you to share the $14.99 price fixed menu, it’s still cheaper than it was before with the $18 cover charge.  
I know at Alfredo’s / GiGi’s we could only eat half a pizza each at best.  They are also going to have the option to get a pizza for like $12, I believe.  
We’ve really just loved going for the casual dining options on our last few cruises.  

There could be a fly in the ointment.  It looks like sharing could be allowed at Alfredo's.  There are a la carte as well as the 14.99 option.  At the Salty Dog though, it's currently three courses per person for $18.00.  Unless the Salty Dog's menu goes a la carte, then sharing would be verboten since it's a per person charge similar to Crown Grill and not a la carte.  Salty Dog looks nice, but is way too much food for lunch and there are better options for dinner.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

As for the Ocean Now service charge, I just think it is quite odd and ironic that Princess (I am talking about YOU, JP) came out with the Medallion App - the great differentiator to the competition - and now guests have to pay a free to use one of its prime features.  The App functions were built to enhance the onboard experience for the guest.  Remove barriers to a carefree vacation, etc, etc.  The food and drinks come to the guest. Oh, just playback those JP recordings when he was Project Mgr for this.  So, I think this is what kills me about the change more than anything because I think it strikes a blow to the original concept and now the guest pays for use of a software app in effect that was not only to benefit them, but most certainly Princess itself.  I feel like JP has sullied himself in this regard.  That said, $15/voyage isn't going to break me should I choose to use Ocean Now (I never used it previously other than to order that first free drink we used to get a long time back - and even then I was standing by the bar and asked them for the drink I really wanted since it wasn't a choice in the App).

Correct me if I’m wrong .. or even if you just disagree with my thoughts on the OceanNow feature on the app.  
I believe Princess, upon the restart in July 2021, started with the expanded room service menu and delivery to wherever you might be on the ship to keep people from forming crowds and keeping the dining rooms emptier to reduce close contact with others.  We will just bring whatever you want, even from the beverage package, directly to your room, or to the pool or to wherever you might be. 

Well, fast forward to 2023 and now they’ve kept this in place but the ships are sailing at full capacity.  Do they cut down the number of these orders or do they hire more staff.  The former won out there.  The only way to cut back on the number of room service orders, now that we’re all spoiled, is to charge for it. 

Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t but they won’t be going backwards on the charges.  It sees, like all the lines are beginning to charge for delivery service, except for the continental breakfasts.  
I see Celebrity implemented this earlier in the year and are charging more than twice of what Princess charges.  And, you can’t get your meal delivered to wherever you may be at the time .. it’s your room or not at all.  I’m sure it’s cut back on hiring more staff for that line.  
Anyway, it’s still a bargain on Princess as far as I’m concerned.  

10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There could be a fly in the ointment.  It looks like sharing could be allowed at Alfredo's.  There are a la carte as well as the 14.99 option.  At the Salty Dog though, it's currently three courses per person for $18.00.  Unless the Salty Dog's menu goes a la carte, then sharing would be verboten since it's a per person charge similar to Crown Grill and not a la carte.  Salty Dog looks nice, but is way too much food for lunch and there are better options for dinner.

The Salty Dog GastroPub also has an a la carte menu and the cover charge is no longer $18.  one of their small plates, as they refer to them, is now only $10 and the price fix menu is also $14.99 for two small plates and dessert.  

Sadly, they aren’t open for lunch.  That may change in time, though.