While in port... question

I  see that when in port if you do certain things on the ship, there will be tax charged.  Now, I know many things are closed when in port, but I'm guessing things like bars etc etc that are open is what they are talking about?  If you have a drink package, and are staying onboard when in port, do you get charged tax?  Or what things will be charged tax?   It may be explained somewhere, but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for.. 

Thanks

9 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Yea, I guess that makes sense.. Is there any place that has listed that anyone knows of? Or how would one do research to have that knowledge?  

Unfortunately these things are not always consistent. Especially in Europe things can, and have, changed from cruise to cruise. I’m not aware of anywhere that has these things listed. This board isn’t a bad place to pick up knowledge and it is worth reading through reviews to give you a good idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

The Caribbean is fine for port days, but you may be charged for drinks on embarkation day until you reach international waters.  I can verify that is true when sailing from Galveston and New Orleans.   Don’t remember about other homeports.

In Europe, it varies greatly.

41 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Especially in Europe things can, and have, changed from cruise to cruise.

But this has to do with the cruise line, not the port/country.

I`ve been on 15 cruises in Europe on 6 different cruise lines and NEVER had to pay any additional tax for consuming something on board during port stop.

6 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

I`ve been on 15 cruises in Europe on 6 different cruise lines and NEVER had to pay any additional tax for consuming something on board during port stop.

This is how NCL handles it. You're on the NCL forum, so we're going to answer in a manner that is in line with how NCL will charge you. Other cruise lines don't matter, unless you're comparing. OP is apparently cruising on NCL, so why would anyone reference what other lines do?

When we were in Port Canaveral for a couple days last year (on the ship for a stop), we were charged taxes on our drinks. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I  see that when in port if you do certain things on the ship, there will be tax charged.  Now, I know many things are closed when in port, but I'm guessing things like bars etc etc that are open is what they are talking about?  If you have a drink package, and are staying onboard when in port, do you get charged tax?  Or what things will be charged tax?   It may be explained somewhere, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.. 

You are charged taxes if the locality requires it.  If the state where you are stopped requires the payment of taxes, pay them. It is a small amount on a drink. Shops are closed, so no worry there.

It doesn't matter if you have a drinks package or not. If the state you are stopped at requires taxes, you will pay taxes on drinks with or without a drinks package. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

It has everything to do with the Port/Country. This is mostly a US state-by-state requirement. I have been charged taxes on multiple cruise lines sailing out of Miami. But, we have also sailed from Southampton to Barcelona and been changed UK VAT until clear of British waters. 

4 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Completely irrelevant to my point. The OP asked on the NCL board whether there is a list of ports where you are charged tax and I stated that it can change from cruise to cruise. Whether this is an NCL issue or not is irrelevant.