The Points Guy review of Crystal Serenity

Stickman1990

23 minutes ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Probably better to end these ridiculous comparisons before someone brings up the age of the ships and teensy cabins on Insignia, Nautica, Serena and Regatta.

End of Conversation

You are absolutely right, this is why we don't sail on those ships (they are going to retire within the next 3-5 years anyway) and prefer Riviera, Marina, Vista and Allura (still 2x choices compared to Crystal.

As for comparisons, people discuss and compare different lines on all boards. This is why CC exists, not sure why it should be different on the Crystal board. Nobody has a monopoly on CC boards to decide what to discuss (or maybe it's different for this board?) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Probably better to end these ridiculous comparisons before someone brings up the age of the ships and teensy cabins on Insignia, Nautica, Serena and Regatta.

More than the teensy cabins, what about the even teensier (is that a word?) size of the shower?

I think they are bigger on submarines.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

More than the teensy cabins, what about the even teensier (is that a word?) size of the shower?

I think they are bigger on submarines.

I guess everything is relative? O older ships cabins are teensy compared to Crystal, but Crystal cabins are teensy compared to O newer ships and other luxury lines.. 

But people who like those ships say that they can dock in smaller places that larger ships cannot. So everything has a tradeoff. 

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

I give up.

In every possible way, Oceania is better than Crystal.

Whew.

( I have no idea why I am blowing my money on Crystal cruises.....now that I have been shown the light and the truth)

So why do you  continue to frequent this board? Why are you seemingly trying to tell people which cruise lines they should like/ cruise with? There are a lot of choices out there  but  those of us on this board tend to favor Crystal  1.or we wouldn't continue sailing with them or,2. for the most part ,continue to post here. The only opinion that matters is our own .No amount of pressure /negativity about Crystal(or any other line I choose to sail with) is going to change my mind.   

• Like 1

Just now, wearesiamese said:

So why do you  continue to frequent this board? Why are you seemingly trying to tell people which cruise lines they should like/ cruise with? There are a lot of choices out there  but  those of us on this board tend to favor Crystal  1.or we wouldn't continue sailing with them or,2. for the most part ,continue to post here. The only opinion that matters is our own .No amount of pressure /negativity about Crystal(or any other line I choose to sail with) is going to change my mind.   

I could be wrong, but I think FlyerTalker was responding to an Oceania cheerleader, not giving his own opinion.

• Like 6

I'm not an Oceania cheerleader. I'm not loyal to any cruise line. Unlike some people on this board who sailed with Crystal only, we sailed on 11 different lines. We are travelers, not cruisers. We go by destination and price. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to understand.

But if the ship is the destination, and you like destination Crystal, and money is not an issue.. by all means..

btw, I never claimed that Oceania is better than Crystal. To me they are comparable, with a very slight edge to Crystal, but not worth the huge price difference. Pretty simple.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, May B said:

I could be wrong, but I think FlyerTalker was responding to an Oceania cheerleader, not giving his own opinion.

I took it as sarcasm, which tends not to always work on a message board.  

I like seeing comparisons, as I it helps me make informed decisions.  But it's not particularly helpful to hear 10 different times that Crystal is better, but Oceania is cheaper and better value.   

Since Covid hit and completely disrupted the hospitality industry, I have been very disappointed in going out to restaurants (I've found this much truer in the US than in other countries, where I have had mostly very good post-Covid dining experiences).  Generally, I have found restaurants to offer worse food with worse service at higher prices.  I found the same to be true on my one post-pandemic cruise on Seabourn, which was reasonably priced but was below my expectations.  Given high inflation and difficulty in finding restaurant staff, there are reasons for this.  But as a result, I have substantially curtailed my dining out post-pandemic while at home, as well as going to US based resorts.

Personally, I am very encouraged by the reviews of Crystal.  It seems to me that they have set their pricing to be able to provide the food and service that people expect, instead of skimping to keep the prices low.  I am willing to pay more not to be disappointed. 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, tryber said:

I like seeing comparisons, as I it helps me make informed decisions.  But it's not particularly helpful to hear 10 different times that Crystal is better, but Oceania is cheaper and better value.  

45 minutes ago, tryber said:

Personally, I am very encouraged by the reviews of Crystal.  It seems to me that they have set their pricing to be able to provide the food and service that people expect, instead of skimping to keep the prices low.  I am willing to pay more not to be disappointed. 

I've sailed on Oceania and it's sister line, Regent (most recently).  Better value is relative. On Oceania, I felt nickel and dimed to death.  Quality varied - especially in food.  On Regent, we paid top dollar for things like excursions which were so bad, we only took 2 and cancelled the others. 

I can't wait until we sail the New Crystal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ctjon said:

some people still bring up the old ship issue - since there is basically nothing that passengers see/use that hasn't been redone what is it about the age of the ship that makes you not want to go.  Ever stay at an "old" hotel?

Maybe take a look at the new Silver Nova and compare it to Serenity.. I'm sure you will see the difference.

And yes, staying in the "old" hotel you also feel the difference, but much less. There are hotels that are 100-150 years old.. ever seen a cruise ship that is even 40 years old? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Maybe take a look at the new Silver Nova and compare it to Serenity.. I'm sure you will see the difference.

And yes, staying in the "old" hotel you also feel the difference, but much less. There are hotels that are 100-150 years old.. ever seen a cruise ship that is even 40 years old? 

Saw the SS Norway (SS France) early in our cruising carrers, and she stayed in service until sometime after 2000. So in answer to your question, yes, I have.😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

As for comparisons, people discuss and compare different lines on all boards. This is why CC exists, not sure why it should be different on the Crystal board. Nobody has a monopoly on CC boards to decide what to discuss (or maybe it's different for this board?) 

Since we absolutely love both lines, can you start one of these comparison threads here on Crystal's board, please?

I will be happy to participate in that

5 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Saw the SS Norway (SS France) early in our cruising carrers, and she stayed in service until sometime after 2000. So in answer to your question, yes, I have.😁

Or Marco Polo, 1965-2020

Properly built and maintained, ships can prosper for a long time, as both Symphony and Serenity have done.

Roy

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

O has been in business for 20 years, with 7 very successful ships and one more on its way. Must be doing something right.

Wallmart has been in business for 61 years, with 10,623 very successful retail stores and more on its way. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Wallmart has been in business for 61 years, with 10,623 very successful retail stores and more on its way. 

Yea.. but Walmart doesn’t charge Oceania prices.. 

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Or Marco Polo, 1965-2020

Properly built and maintained, ships can prosper for a long time, as both Symphony and Serenity have done.

Roy

The layout of the ship is more important than when it was built.  And the food and service have nothing to do with when the ship was built.  I get why people who go on Carnival or Royal Caribbean want the newest ship with the water slides, roller coasters, aquariums, etc.  But putting aside the newer class of expedition ships, what innovations are there on newer luxury slips that matter?   

6 minutes ago, tryber said:

The layout of the ship is more important than when it was built.  And the food and service have nothing to do with when the ship was built.  I get why people who go on Carnival or Royal Caribbean want the newest ship with the water slides, roller coasters, aquariums, etc.  But putting aside the newer class of expedition ships, what innovations are there on newer luxury slips that matter?   

How about infrastructure? Plumbing? A/C? Everything has been replaced on Crystal?

How about double ceiling lounges on the Silver Nova? 

The list is very long.

2 hours ago, FeliciaLee said:

Since we absolutely love both lines, can you start one of these comparison threads here on Crystal's board, please?

I will be happy to participate in that

People on this board are very loyal to their brand. They believe that Crystal is so unique and so much better than other luxury lines, and Oceania is not even considered luxury. People mentioned being "nickel and dimed to death" on Oceania without even providing any details (only alcohol and gratuities are not included on Oceania, so I'm not sure where they can nickel and dime you). People compare Oceania to Walmart. Enough said.

So honestly, I'm not sure if any real discussion is even possible on this board when it comes to other lines.

But you are welcome to try.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Why do I suspect that there's a lingering bad taste in the mouth from a 2019 Symphony cruise. 

Trying to figure out why else one would be posting on a message board dedicated to a company that you'll never use again.

Why would I have a bad taste from a 2019 Symphony cruise? As I mentioned several times, we had a wonderful cruise. And I never said I will never use it again.

23 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

People on this board are very loyal to their brand. They believe that Crystal is so unique and so much better than other luxury lines

Big correction - only some are of that view - many others cruise multiple luxury lines (some acerbated by Covid and Crystals issues)  and recognise that there are good and bad features and experiences on all lines 

Perhaps a new comparison thread is better but maybe after a few more people cruise new Crystal 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I did take a look at Silver Nova pics and videos. I felt Celebrity vibes. Nothing against Celebrity but I prefer old world charm to glitz. That being said I enjoy Regent in spite of the costly glitz but it is the warmth of the staff that I love.

Ultimately we all have our favourite buttons. If SS could only remember that I am allergic to down and like Evian I would give them another chance…maybe. 

51 minutes ago, tryber said:

The one thing I liked on the SS Moon was hand washing stations….very high tech. 

13 minutes ago, Emdee said:

I did take a look at Silver Nova pics and videos. I felt Celebrity vibes. Nothing against Celebrity but I prefer old world charm to glitz. That being said I enjoy Regent in spite of the costly glitz but it is the warmth of the staff that I love.

Ultimately we all have our favourite buttons. If SS could only remember that I am allergic to down and like Evian I would give them another chance…maybe. 

I really hope SS will never be like Celebrity.

But you have to admit that the cabins are fabulous. The certain between the bed and the sitting area was a game changer for us. Unlimited black caviar was also very nice. Variety and quality of food. In many areas SS is at least as good as Crystal.

Mercedes is no better than BMW, and BMW is no better than Audi. Comparable products, this is why they have comparable prices. No reason it should be different in cruise lines. The clients don't really care that Crystal has to recoup their investment..

• Like 1