Explora cruises from the eyes of clients

travelberlin

28 minutes ago, saminina said:

Will be on SB Quest next month and have zero expectation it will be competitive with either Explora or Crystal.

Will be interested to hear how it turns out for you; was on Seabourn Odyssey in October and Explora in December and would overall give the advantage to Seabourn at that time. Back on SB Ovation in April, and then on Explora in May, so will have a chance to reconsider after those sailings.  Good to have choices and a range because we all have different tastes and standards!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

You would have loved our EJ cruise with multiple Steinway piano professionals doing most shows

Agree, I remember your comments at the time.   More like their original advertising.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Was just told that there will be over 700 passengers for Feb 9 from Barbados. 

We’ll be there, It’s going to be a great cruise! Where is the Super Bowl party?

Edited by aero777
  • Like 1

Neither Explora or Silversea serve real maple syrup. Crystal does. 
when booking PH on Explora be careful as many of those suites have tubs only, no separate shower. Whoever heard of building new ship with no separate shower?? . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saminina said:

I know to bring my own maple syrup.  Explora had it on the October trip, but not December.

Also for Explora, pack own bathroom paper products and wine.

Seriously?

Don't sweat the small stuff 

I’m beginning to wonder how I even managed to survive during my time in Explora last year? 

Reading some of these posts you have to wonder why people even both to cruise

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Seriously?

Don't sweat the small stuff 

I’m beginning to wonder how I even managed to survive during my time in Explora last year? 

Reading some of these posts you have to wonder why people even both to cruise

As a proud Canadian I've got this covered ...... we're packing 5 large Maple 🍁 boughs.

I will use the leaves instead of toilet paper, tap the branches for the sap and ask one of the chefs in the Emporium to boil half for syrup and rapid ferment the other half for maple wine.

Obviously, I will be the source for the new Alternative Gas Engines.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

You are human and are able to adjust much better than me.    I like Explora and make adjustments to enjoy time on board.   And Explora has made adjustments to assure the time is enjoyed. 

• Like 2

when booking PH on Explora be careful as many of those suites have tubs only, no separate shower. Whoever heard of building new ship with no separate shower?? . 

4 hours ago, saminina said:

You are human and are able to adjust much better than me.    I like Explora and make adjustments to enjoy time on board.   And Explora has made adjustments to assure the time is enjoyed. 

I am sorting out travel now for early 2025 to sail Explora journeys 2 or return to vista

The shows on Vista are excellent 

All the best to you

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I distinctly recall that the bottle used to fill the pitcher at the pancake/waffle station had a Canadian flag on it when I sailed. I was always under the impression that the flag is only put on bottles of real maple syrup.

another reason to only book the OT-1’s 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, aero777 said:

We’ll be there, It’s going to be a great cruise! Where is the Super Bowl party?

I asked a waiter last night in the Astern Lounge and he said it would be shown there.  There are only 60 seats of so that can see the screen so it would need to have additional locations.  

Today at lunch I asked a Maitre D and of course he had no idea what I was asking about.  He did make a phone call and came back saying there would be a big event using the Conservatory pool screen.

So at this point who knows. I think the Explorer Lounge would be the best location.  

21 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

I distinctly recall that the bottle used to fill the pitcher at the pancake/waffle station had a Canadian flag on it when I sailed. I was always under the impression that the flag is only put on bottles of real maple syrup.

another reason to only book the OT-1’s 😀

My wife checked this morning.  This is absolutely correct.  The bottle has a maple leaf and even says “Made in Canada” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably same bottle from our holiday cruise.  If you are satisfied with its contents that is good enough.

We skipped having crepes our first week on board during December.  After the San Juan stop and trip to store we finished the final two weeks with maple syrup.    As previously written, a bottle contained maple syrup in October.  Not true during December.  It could have been a short supply issue, or not.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:40 AM, Wheelhouse said:

On a cost basis 16 days on both in a basic veranda cabin (OT3 on Explora vs Concierge Veranda on Vista) is pretty similar.  

But the Champagne is much better on Explora. I’m really going to miss the Moët on our Vista cruise in March. 🤣🍾

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:14 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

There ARE problems - the wines are not up to snuff, the bathrooms are a disappointment and there should be daily specials in Fil Rouge and Med Yacht Club.  I have 4 more booked and am NOT cancelling!

See, it takes all kinds. For example, I’m good with the bathrooms and enjoy most of the wine. Agree there needs to be more daily specials. I also will be back for more. 

• Like 2

Day 8 aboard and only one full day left on our journey.  

Observations by my travel partners and I...

POSITIVES:  Crew is EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, probably the best service we've experienced.  They have done a wonderful job of hiring crew staff.

The ship is beautiful and never felt crowded or cramped.  Realize that there are only approximately 620 guests onboard but can't imagine that it would feel crowded even at full capacity. There are always pool loungers and chairs available.  We really enjoyed the outside spaces.

MISSES:  The food selection is not rotated enough and I can't imagine taking a longer cruise than current 9 days.  

Crepe and Gelato station same variety every day.  

My husband is allergic to shrimp but ordered lobster in the Emporium Marketplace.  He had a really bad allergic reaction which required a trip to the Medical Facility.  We later discovered that they cooked the shrimp on the same grill as the lobster so of course he avoided any seafood the rest of the voyage.  Not blaming the staff, but please keep this in mind regarding food allergies.

We enjoyed a couple of the evening shows, but they need to offer variety (maybe a comedy show 😀)

Daily activities and Port information are very limited.  These areas definitely need improvement.

Ship announcements over loud speaker are ear piercing.  I would advise you to come prepared with ear plugs on Day 1.

Drink service is hit and miss, but if you find a good bartender, visit often!

We decided to book our next Cruise and return to Regent Splendor for Iceland and Greenland in the Summer.

Final thoughts:  We will give Explora a couple of years to mature and maybe visit again in 2026.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, PrivateIdaho said:

See, it takes all kinds. For example, I’m good with the bathrooms and enjoy most of the wine. Agree there needs to be more daily specials. I also will be back for more. 

I need to clarify my position on the wines!  I did enjoy them .... the FIRST time but not the same ones 9 days in a row. They should have a 7 day rotation .... there are literally hundreds of wines at the same price point for them to choose from. They need to mix it up a bit.

I'm not backing down on the bathrooms!  No electrical outlets, the mirror fogs in 14 milliseconds and the door opens into the entrance of the shower making it difficult for two people to get ready at the same time.  Oh, and while you're at it, put in a night light and don't have the bathroom door immediately opposite the bed in a Penthouse!  A much better arrangement in the OT's....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PrivateIdaho said:

But the Champagne is much better on Explora. I’m really going to miss the Moët on our Vista cruise in March. 🤣🍾

Vista has been really great so far Red Ginger very enjoyable tonight

• Like 1

And don’t forget that not all PH suites have separate walk in showers. Make sure you read the very small symbols before booking. When we asked why we were told Europeans prefer tubs. So what not a shower too?  No comeback. 
Ear splitting announcements and Explora commercials on big MSC pool screen annoying. Shorex lackluster. No fruit in our PH unless we ask and then a couple on a plate. No fruit knife. Untrained but eager staff. 
On the good side, most beautiful ship on the ocean and most incredible huge pool for swimmers. 
Kicker for us was no 40% discount if you book high end cabins. We cancelled future Explora bookings for Crystal. 30% cheaper. What would you do?

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 12:55 PM, Whipsnade said:

And don’t forget that not all PH suites have separate walk in showers. Make sure you read the very small symbols before booking. When we asked why we were told Europeans prefer tubs. So what not a shower too?  No comeback. 
Ear splitting announcements and Explora commercials on big MSC pool screen annoying. Shorex lackluster. No fruit in our PH unless we ask and then a couple on a plate. No fruit knife. Untrained but eager staff. 
On the good side, most beautiful ship on the ocean and most incredible huge pool for swimmers. 
Kicker for us was no 40% discount if you book high end cabins. We cancelled future Explora bookings for Crystal. 30% cheaper. What would you do?

You ask "what would you do?" and I have an opinion, but apparently some don't believe I should express it.  [wink, wink, Crystal, nudge, nudge]

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

What would you do?

I had a DP booked (as a solo), but when the black friday sale came, the OT prices were to good to pass up. I went from >$1k/nt to $400's/nt, so I booked 3 cruises. BTW, the $200 cancelation fee was applied to my new cruise.

• Like 2