Whatever Happened to the Deck Chair Hogs?

koolZip

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Well we were polite as possible until they ignored our claim and tried to take the chair anyway.

I’m glad you haven’t experienced this behavior.

Basically entitled people sleeping till noon and expecting the lido deck to open up to them

How do you know they slept until noon?

I have been on over 60 cruises and no one ever tried that. 

I do cruise on lines that have plenty of chairs. I noticed early on the Carnival and NCL had a lot of tables and chairs on the lido deck where there could have been lounge chairs, so fewer chairs. Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess had more lounge chairs. Don’t know if newer Carnival and NCL ships are still the same because I stay away from budget cruise lines these days. Perhaps you need to stop cruising Carnival. Maybe it is Carnival passengers that are the problem. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I’m so happy for your wealth

It is not so much a matter of wealth — just a willingness to spend what it takes to get more than the absolute minimum quality experience.  NCL and Carnival are generally recognized as budget lines — they must be expected to cut some corners on amenities.

8 hours ago, Kristelle said:

presuming one has what it takes to spend in the first place. 😉

Obviously.  No one NEEDS to cruise, it is a voluntary way of spending free time on a ship (and available funds).  Depending upon one’s budget, the cruise can be bare bones - in an inside cabin sharing a crowded ship providing minimal amenities with other budget-minded passengers on few day round trip from Miami to the Bahamas, or a very comfortable longer itinerary, to interesting ports, enjoying good food and entertainment.

Of course.

But not everyone can just be willing to spend more ' to get more than the minimum quality experience' if they don't have the funds in the first place -  answering a question  with ' I just stay away from budget lines' seems rather patronising to me. 

14 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I’m so happy for your wealth

I don't really understand you reply. A budget cruise line like Carnival that has lower fares has more passengers crowded into less public spaces. That is one of the ways they can charge lower fares. So passengers will be sharing the pool area with more people. You were the one who singled out Carnival.  

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Of course.

But not everyone can just be willing to spend more ' to get more than the minimum quality experience' if they don't have the funds in the first place -  answering a question  with ' I just stay away from budget lines' seems rather patronising to me. 

You get what you pay for. If you  cruise on cruise lines that have more public space passengers are less likely to be fighting over the chairs. That said there are chair hogs on all the mainstream cruise lines. Why was there a probem with uncouth passengers on Carnival? I have experienced that there seems to be some kind of reverse effect. Those who pay the least often demand the most. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Of course.

We will politely disagree.  Avoiding budget or mass market lines is one solution.  Another is to look for seats far away from the pools (we find this a solution on Princess and Celebrity.  Folks also need to understand that expecting to find a nice lounger at noon is often going to end in disappointment.  Those of us who get into seats by 10, are just being practical and accepting the reality found in crowded mass market vessels.  

I will add that a similar situation exists at many land resorts.

Hank