Newbie question: Onboard credit and Gratuity

allforone007

First time cruiser on Celetrity Edge in this September.  I have some Onboard Credit which I can see after login online account.  Can I use OBC for the Celebrity’s automatic gratuity program? How do I direct the OBC to pay for the gratuity since I don't see any such options in my account?  Appreciate any experience/advise.

TIA  

Any purchase or charge on you onboard account will be first taken from your non- refundable OBC.  No need to direct the OBC to a purchase or gratuity.  If you spend all your OBC then any other charges be they gratuity or purchase at the end of the cruise will be charged to the credit card on file.

If you don’t use all your non refundable OBC by the end of the cruise you loose it. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your info.  I called Celebrity custom services, but was told that the OBC can not be used for gratuity.  This confused me.  Per your comment, my OBC balance should will reduced on daily basis by the gratuity amount if I didn’t make other purchases or incur other charges. Is my understanding correct?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allforone007 said:

Thanks for your info.  I called Celebrity custom services, but was told that the OBC can not be used for gratuity.  This confused me.  Per your comment, my OBC balance should will reduced on daily basis by the gratuity amount if I didn’t make other purchases or incur other charges. Is my understanding correct?

You cannot use your OBC to pre-pay gratuities.  Your understanding of what happens once you're onboard is pretty much correct.... your OBC will be used to pay daily gratuities, purchases, etc... until depleted. After that, it'll be charged to your onboard account and payable at the end of the cruise.  I'd say most people just have it charged to the credit card they have on file.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, allforone007 said:

Exactly