First MSC Cruise- Formal Nights

CHolliwood

I’m wondering if you might not have any formal nights.  Formal night is never the first night, or the last night.  But Grandiosa boards guests in every port.  You can’t ask guests to dress up the day they board…. But I haven’t sailed MSC in Europe so someone who has will have to step up and give us the answer.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHolliwood said:

Setting out on Grandiose next week for first MSC Cruise, I can't seem to find any reference to formal nights.  Does anyone have some info that would be helpful?

Thanks, Chris

They do not have them.

They have what they call an elegant night also known as sell lots of pictures and up hairdos night.

• Haha 1

When we sailed on MSC in the Caribbean, we were impressed by how well a great number of pax dressed up, due to the number of Europeans, British, and South Americans on board.  Not prom gowns, but very chic and elegant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CHolliwood said:

Setting out on Grandiose next week for first MSC Cruise, I can't seem to find any reference to formal nights.  Does anyone have some info that would be helpful?

Thanks, Chris

If you're on a 7 to 10 night cruise you'll probably have 2 elegant nights. If you're in Europe and its muli embarkation, they could be any night, including the last night of your cruise. Some passengers will fully dress up, tux/suit and evening dresses. And some won't. If you're sailing in Europe the dressing up will happen more so than the Caribbean. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CHolliwood said:

Thanks, Chris

Do you have one day at sea? If yes, the "formal night" will probably be the day before the day at sea. That's how it is on MSC World Europa, with one day at sea and people embarking in every port.

• Like 1

The Gala night(s) will be a sea day where possible, and in Europe at least, seem to lean towards 'glamorous party' rather than formal. 

Nobody will feel out of place though regardless of your choice.

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

The Gala night(s) will be a sea day where possible, and in Europe at least, seem to lean towards 'glamorous party' rather than formal. 

Nobody will feel out of place though regardless of your choice.

I think that when people embark in every port the Gala night is normally the day before the seaday, probably so that noone has the Gala night as their last night onboard.

(I'm only guessing but it was that day on MSC World Europa three weeks ago.)

6 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that when people embark in every port the Gala night is normally the day before the seaday, probably so that noone has the Gala night as their last night onboard.

(I'm only guessing but it was that day on MSC World Europa three weeks ago.)

I guess it is going to be a very moveable event on some cruises...

We were on a short EU cruise in June and the Gala night was on the first sea day, which was the 3rd night and the last night for those departing in Malta.

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

I guess it is going to be a very moveable event on some cruises...

We were on a short EU cruise in June and the Gala night was on the first sea day, which was the 3rd night and the last night for those departing in Malta.

What ship?

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Did you disembarked in Genoa?

Was the itinerary for those embarking in Valletta Valletta-Siracusa-Genoa--Marseilles-sea day-Valletta?

Not sure where you are going with this, but ...

No, we started in Genoa as per the itinerary I listed, and ended our cruise in Siracusa.

After Siracusa the ship continued on to Civitavecchia, before reversing the itinerary on the way back to Genoa.

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Not sure where you are going with this, but ...

I'm trying to understand the reason why the formal night wasn't the day before the sea day which it was on MSC World Europa.

Now I know that it wasn't the typical week after week roundtrip they often have when people are embarking in every port. Then all logistics is different.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Now I know that it wasn't the typical week after week roundtrip they often have when people are embarking in every port. Then all logistics is different.

People were embarking in every port, but the difference I suspect is that it was the end of the TA.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info everyone, it ended up being on the sea day after we embarked from Barcelona.  It was called the 'Gala Night'.  

The guidance at the restaurant entrance said Men- Tux, Dark Suit, or even you best pair of pants and a polo shirt is acceptable. 

36 minutes ago, CHolliwood said:

Thanks for the info everyone, it ended up being on the sea day after we embarked from Barcelona.  It was called the 'Gala Night'.  

The guidance at the restaurant entrance said Men- Tux, Dark Suit, or even you best pair of pants and a polo shirt is acceptable. 

How was the food on Gala night @CHolliwood?

2 hours ago, CHolliwood said:

Question…for your sailing, how many men did not wear a jacket?  Did those who did not dress up look out of place?

8 hours ago, Stocksy82 said:

How was the food on Gala night @CHolliwood?

We were in the Yacht Club, My wife had the beef rossini, which is a tenderloin on a thin slice of bread/ biscuit, with seared foie gras and a sauce on top.  She loved it.  I had the lobster tail, which beat any lobster I've had on either Royal or Celebrity. 

6 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Question…for your sailing, how many men did not wear a jacket?  Did those who did not dress up look out of place?

I would say 50% had suit jackets, I would guess probably less than 5% had a tie (I was one of them).  The most common outfit was a just a collared shirt.  Nobody really looked out of place since there was such a wide variety of outfits.  

Honestly, I think more people planned their outfit for White Night than the Gala!!

• Thanks 1

That rings true with me - just back from Euribia, waaaay more people dressed up for White Night than Gala Night.

For Gala night I went with a shirt & tie, but no jacket - when you're flying, that's a lot of space & weight to give up for something you'll only wear once.

• Like 1