Shareholders and Military OBC

rosevew

I just had an interesting conversation with a lady at Investor Relations who tried to assure me that nobody gets their Shareholders OBC applied more than 90 days pre-cruise, for any brand, in any country.
She also insisted that Military OBC on Princess is not and never has been refundable.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Yeah, so that's a "Negative" on both of those points from personal experience.

Precisely what I told her but she wasn't having it at all. When I said differently, she pretty much said that if anybody said otherwise on social media they misunderstood what they were saying! I told her that we'd previously had Military OBC refunded and that it showed as such onboard in the folio but again she didn't believe me. I asked her if she thought I was lying!

2 minutes ago, rosevew said:

Precisely what I told her but she wasn't having it at all. When I said differently, she pretty much said that if anybody said otherwise on social media they misunderstood what they were saying! I told her that we'd previously had Military OBC refunded and that it showed as such onboard in the folio but again she didn't believe me. I asked her if she thought I was lying!

Either the lady is new at her job, or has never taken advantage of the offers herself. Or, she blindly sticks to the corporate line.

I've always said that more often than not, the collective wisdom on policy as it plays out for passengers is better on this site than anything from an employee's mouth unless that person can make actual decisions.

15 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Either the lady is new at her job, or has never taken advantage of the offers herself. Or, she blindly sticks to the corporate line.

I've always said that more often than not, the collective wisdom on policy as it plays out for passengers is better on this site than anything from an employee's mouth unless that person can make actual decisions.

She told me that she has been in that office for 23 years and that she knows how it works!

18 minutes ago, rosevew said:

She told me that she has been in that office for 23 years and that she knows how it works!

My reaction to such misinformation would normally be unbelievable although coming from Princess it’s believable.

By making such false statements she apparently has no real world experiences, or wasn’t truthful about her 23 years in Investor Relations, or has never dealt with MOBC & SOBC…or all of the above.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm so confused, other than for the fact that if we ever refare this booking we will lose the SHB OBC according to the new rules. BTW we booked this cruise June 1, 2023, and applied for SHB the next day and got it 2 days later.

image.thumb.png.2dab3841393ac8c1b4a16e42c4df2b46.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm so confused, other than for the fact that if we ever refare this booking we will lose the SHB OBC according to the new rules. 🙃

image.thumb.png.2dab3841393ac8c1b4a16e42c4df2b46.png

Best just to figure that out the the day after the cruise starts when everybody is settled in. Or, your TV or onboard account should make it clear

New rules military OBC is no longer refundable.  Further one can get SHOBC or military OBC but not both.  I get military OBC so now DW owns 100 shares of CCL and she gets SHOBC.  Evidentially existing reservations with the two OBC are still honored.  Watching for comments on this last bit of information.  We are going in November and will find out what they do. 

This is still the one of many benefits that Princess has done away with that upsets us with Princess.  We are both veterans's but will not receive SHOBC anymore and for what reason?  Princess is definitely unfair by singling out one group of passengers such as veterans to take away a previous perk.  Basically hostile to veterans IMHO.

Edited by Princessfan20

In the US on Princess you can get it as soon as you book.  Similarly with HAL.  Book on P&O UK and the 90 days is enforced.

Book in other countries other than the US and it seems to depend upon the practices for that country.

Edited by ldtr

28 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

This is still the one of many benefits that Princess has done away with that upsets us with Princess.  We are both veterans's but will not receive SHOBC anymore and for what reason?  Princess is definitely unfair by singling out one group of passengers such as veterans to take away a previous perk.  Basically hostile to veterans IMHO.

If they were hostile to veterans they would do away entirely with the Veterans benefit.  Basically it is to limit it to a max 2 benefits per cabin instead of triple dipping, or to limit to a single in the case of a solo.

After all non-veterans cannot get 2 shareholder benefits, so the benefits still favor veterans.  Just not as much as it used to.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

New rules military OBC is no longer refundable.  Further one can get SHOBC or military OBC but not both.  I get military OBC so now DW owns 100 shares of CCL and she gets SHOBC.  Evidentially existing reservations with the two OBC are still honored.  Watching for comments on this last bit of information.  We are going in November and will find out what they do. 

Was it ever decided when they made this change that if there were two unrelated passengers in the same cabin and each had CCL shares, they could then EACH get Shareholder non-refundable OBC?  Veteran's OBC is not involved.

• Thanks 1

Well this news sucks! My husband and I are both veterans and we bought Carnival stock when it was $60 a share so we won’t be selling anytime soon (or possibly not in our lifetimes). I guess the good news is we now have more incentive to cruise with other lines like Holland America and Royal Caribbean. We bought 100 shares of RCCL stock when we bought our CCL stock so we would have options but have been mainly sailing with Princess because of their generous military benefit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopco said:

Well this news sucks! My husband and I are both veterans and we bought Carnival stock when it was $60 a share so we won’t be selling anytime soon (or possibly not in our lifetimes). I guess the good news is we now have more incentive to cruise with other lines like Holland America and Royal Caribbean. We bought 100 shares of RCCL stock when we bought our CCL stock so we would have options but have been mainly sailing with Princess because of their generous military benefit.

The stock is also good with HAL and they now have a veterans benefit as well, atleast for the moment.

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

The stock is also good with HAL and they now have a veterans benefit as well, atleast for the moment.

So with HAL can my husband get military benefit and I get Shareholders in the same cabin or is it one benefit per cabin? I always wanted to try HAL and Princess is now making it more attractive.

1 hour ago, coopco said:

So with HAL can my husband get military benefit and I get Shareholders in the same cabin or is it one benefit per cabin? I always wanted to try HAL and Princess is now making it more attractive.

yep. the Veterans benefit must be approved before the cruise is booked.

The benefit is a bit different. If I recall correctly it does not change with cruise length.

Edited by ldtr

32 minutes ago, coopco said:

We bought 100 shares of RCCL stock when we bought our CCL stock so we would have options but have been mainly sailing with Princess because of their generous military benefit.

Good luck getting that stockholders benefit with RCCL.

You can only get it if you pay full price for a cabin.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, caribill said:

Pretty much the same with Celebrity. Sold our RCL stock when it became very difficult to to get the shareholder benefit.

We were able to get our "stateroom" SOBC perk as well as each get our MOBC perk for our 10 cruises booked through July 2025, as we got them applied prior to the deadline back in June. However, the somewhat frustrating part of these new changes as of late is that if we see the price go down on one of our booked cruises, we have to not only calculate losing one of the MOBC perks but also determine if our original booking had the $50 Plus Package. If so, we also have to factor in the net $10 pp/day savings we would get as the booking would automatically be upgraded to the current $60 Plus Package.

I must say math is definitely becoming my friend when it comes to determining when it makes sense to refare a booking and when to pass.😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, caribill said:

I believe RCCL shareholders used to be non stackable with other OBC’s, but was changed in 2021? Anyways, I have been able to get FULL shareholders on RCCL sailings on ‘discounted’ fares since they restarted with the Adventure of Seas sailings out of the Bahamas and it is stackable with other OBC. Was able to take advantage of generous CWC(cruise with confidence) refare policy and got OBC when I saw price drop after final payment. Unfortunately, CWC policy allowing this has expired.

Have also received shareholders for my upcoming Celebrity sailings in October 2023 without issues @ldtr.

46 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I believe RCCL shareholders used to be non stackable with other OBC’s, but was changed in 2021? Anyways, I have been able to get FULL shareholders on RCCL sailings on ‘discounted’ fares since they restarted with the Adventure of Seas sailings out of the Bahamas and it is stackable with other OBC. Was able to take advantage of generous CWC(cruise with confidence) refare policy and got OBC when I saw price drop after final payment. Unfortunately, CWC policy allowing this has expired.

Have also received shareholders for my upcoming Celebrity sailings in October 2023 without issues @ldtr.

They must have changed their benefit since the restart.  It used to be very difficult to get on just about any fares other than inside with no package.

Edited by ldtr

Well I guess our kids will get to benefit from our RCCL stock when we die if it’s difficult to use because it’s lost at least 1/2 of the value since we bought it so we won’t be selling it. On top of that we bought our 2 kids 100 shares of CCL stock when it was $25 per share because we paid so much for ours and it seemed like a good deal until it kept dropping. So I told them don’t plan on selling it. I thought it might come in handy if we all cruise together but our daughter was thinking about booking a girls cruise in December and I didn’t even have to remind her of the stockholder benefit so hopefully it will be a good investment for their lifetime (they are in their 20’s and grew up cruising and love it). Doesn’t appear a good invest for us because of when we bought to get OBC but I’m not going to complain because in the long run, we are ahead on stock investments (just not with cruise lines!)

• Like 1