Dolphin Encounter Excursions in Georgetown, Grand Cayman

We're sailing on Odyssey in December and my kids would like to swim with dolphins. One kid won't quite be 8 yet, so we're limited to the encounter options. Which of the following would you choose, and why? It will be 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 10).

Dolphin Encounter and 7 Mile Beach (currently $89-94/guest)

Dolphin Encounter and Turtle Centre (currently $99/guest)

Dolphin Encounter and Stingray City (currently $119/guest)

The only difference in these will be where you go before/after the dolphin swim. If you have kids, I'd recommend going to see the turtles, unless you want to go to the beach.

With that said, there will be many people who will try to dissuade you from the dolphin swim due to the treatment of the dolphins. I'm going to stay out of that one, IMHO the choice is yours. One thing to add, I did a dolphin swim in Cozumel. The whole purpose of the engagement was so they could take the photos of you with the dolphins and sell them after the fact.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MarinerBride said:

We're sailing on Odyssey in December and my kids would like to swim with dolphins. One kid won't quite be 8 yet, so we're limited to the encounter options. Which of the following would you choose, and why? It will be 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 10).

I wanted to do the turtle center but I didnt see that excursion when I went last sept.

Stingray city is considered the must do if you havent done it. 

Costa maya has a encounter which is not the same as swim with the dolphins. You stand there as a group and do hand signals. It's a group thing., be sure you want just a encounter not the swim with the dolphins. Keep expectations very low for the encounter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarinerBride said:

Is the 7-year-old a good swimmer? The recommended age is 8 but doesn't say must be 8
The requirements are height and weight

1/2 my family did the encounter and the other half did the swim (in Cozumel) Those that did the encounter wished they would have done the swim. 

I am not trying to talk you into one vs the other but reading the descriptions in both the Grand Cayman and Jamaica it does say recommended not required... Only you know your comfort level and his swimming ability  

Edited by LilBlackDress

12 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Is the 7-year-old a good swimmer? The recommended age is 8 but doesn't say must be 8

1/2 my family did the encounter and the other half did the swim (in Cozumel) Those that did the encounter wished they would have done the swim. 

I am not trying to talk you into one vs the other but reading the descriptions in both the Grand Cayman and Jamaica it does say recommended not required... Only you know your comfort level and his swimming ability  

Ooh, interesting - he is a good swimmer and will be almost 8. I'll have to look into that. Thank you!

12 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I went in and tried to book it, and it won't let me due to age. This apparently is required. Sad!

• Like 1

There are two places that do dolphin encounters, one on the sound side of the island and Dolphin Discovery up by the turtle farm.  Done both, including one that was a sound-side bundled with a trip to the rays.  On that one the island closed the ray sandbar due to visibility and Royal cut our tour price in half.  Of the two places, Dolphin Discovery is more modern and has other exhibits and things to do.

BUT:  Highly recommend booking direct with Dolphin Discovery https://www.*****grand-cayman/

Much cheaper than ship, but do it early and try to go before the ship tours tie the place up.  And, go across the street to the turtle farm and book the Turtle Adventure tour.  Ship gets you access to a couple of turtle pools in the front of the park.  OK, but the Turtle Adventure gives you access to the whole park, including being able to snorkel in a large lagoon-like pool with a bunch of turtles.  Costs only around $40pp https://www.turtle.ky/ versus $24 for what the ship tour gives you.  Few people buy the upgrade and last time we were there we had around 20 people in the back of the park (sharks, rays, turtles) and we were the only ones in the water with the turtles.

Bus out to there is around $5pp or you can cab for around $20.  Buses look like minivans and run from a plaza two blocks inland from the north tender dock in Georgetown.

Did dolphin discovery in December when we were in Grand cayman for vacation.  Great experience.  When you book direct,  you are given several different options.  One includes complimentary admission to the turtle farm. Dh and I enjoyed it very much. 

BTW, I can't remember where on the internet I found it, but there is a percentage off coupon for dolphin discovery 

Their corporate website always has discounts, although not huge.  Can be the difference between getting an encounter versus a swim package.  The one in Cozumel even has packages that include photos (typically $100-$150).

On 8/7/2023 at 2:58 PM, firefly333 said:

I wanted to do the turtle center but I didnt see that excursion when I went last sept.

Stingray city is considered the must do if you havent done it. 

Costa maya has an encounter which is not the same as swim with the dolphins. You stand there as a group and do hand signals. It's a group thing., be sure you want just an encounter not the swim with the dolphins. Keep expectations very low for the encounter. 

Agree Stingray city is great

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:33 PM, MarinerBride said:

I went in and tried to book it, and it won't let me due to age. This apparently is required. Sad!

You can try calling and booking it over the phone if they say no on the phone... book the encounter you decide on.
Once on the ship ask again at the excursion desk. 
I would take a screenshot of the recommended age and the full description