Is the quality still with O or has it also been hit with the penny pinching of other cruise lines?

chromered7

13 hours ago, kreastman said:

2" thick sounds like the King's Cut—perhaps they gave him that by mistake. The Queen's Cut I received was less than 1/2" thick. Maybe they thought I wasn't hungry...

Is queens cut boneless ? and Kings cut bone in ?

His was boneless.  

Have found that items can vary from ship to ship, and from chef to chef.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Is queens cut boneless ? and Kings cut bone in ?

His was boneless.  

Have found that items can vary from ship to ship, and from chef to chef.

My first time on Regatta, some years ago, I ordered the King's Cut and it was boneless and as you described, about 2 inches thick, so I guess it does vary. Either way, though, it's usually tender and delicious.

• Thanks 1

Currently on Insignia.  The pastries are NOT as good as they were on our first O cruise in Feb 2022.  They seem smaller and not as tender.  Desserts have not impressed me.  My wife had steak in Polo grill and it was tough and overcooked.  I had lobster in Polo grill.  So dry and tough.  The soups have been horrible.  I haven't tried the lobster bisque.  The soups are seriously underseasoned.  The clam chowder would be an insult to anyone from New England.  

10 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Currently on Insignia.  The pastries are NOT as good as they were on our first O cruise in Feb 2022.  They seem smaller and not as tender.  Desserts have not impressed me.  My wife had steak in Polo grill and it was tough and overcooked.  I had lobster in Polo grill.  So dry and tough.  The soups have been horrible.  I haven't tried the lobster bisque.  The soups are seriously underseasoned.  The clam chowder would be an insult to anyone from New England.  

Back to X I assume? Not sure why you would book another O cruise based upon your dissatisfaction, which is understandable. 

Edited by EJL2023

3 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Back to X I assume? Not sure why you would book another O cruise based upon your dissatisfaction. 

We did this cruise on 9/6. Our 21st O cruise. Dined in Polo and Toscana 3x each and 1x in GDR. Reading the posts from Calicakes, feels we were on a different cruise. Everything was very good to excellent. For 21 meals, one item had to be returned to be made more well done….of course O made entire item over.  If I dined 21x in a Michelin restaurant I’m sure “something “ would be off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jayne E said:

We did this cruise on 9/6. Our 21st O cruise. Dined in Polo and Toscana 3x each and 1x in GDR. Reading the posts from Calicakes, feels we were on a different cruise. Everything was very good to excellent. For 21 meals, one item had to be returned to be made more well done….of course O made entire item over.  If I dined 21x in a Michelin restaurant I’m sure “something “ would be off. 

Yes I know. I don’t recall more than a meal or two on my Oceania cruises that were to point I’d actually be critical, would just write it off as nothing is perfect. Guess I just don’t have that fine palate as some possess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Back to X I assume? Not sure why you would book another O cruise based upon your dissatisfaction, which is understandable. 

We have 2 more booked on X and 1 more on O.  I might see if I can get a refund on the X cruise, which is next September on Beyond.   The next O is Mexican Rivera from LA and since we live in LA, easy to get to the port.  We overnight in Cabo and we'll go out for Mexican food in a few of the ports.  That should break up the monotony of the food onboard.  

People cruise for a lot of reasons, food isn't the most important reason to us.  I've had weight loss surgery and my appetite is reduced.  Food doesn't hold the same pleasure as it once did.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, calicakes said:

We have 2 more booked on X and 1 more on O.  I might see if I can get a refund on the X cruise, which is next September on Beyond.   The next O is Mexican Rivera from LA and since we live in LA, easy to get to the port.  We overnight in Cabo and we'll go out for Mexican food in a few of the ports.  That should break up the monotony of the food onboard.  

People cruise for a lot of reasons, food isn't the most important reason to us.  I've had weight loss surgery and my appetite is reduced.  Food doesn't hold the same pleasure as it once did.  

If it's the Regatta cruise on the 20th that you started a Roll Call for it doesn't overnight in Cabo. Did you change to another one?

1 minute ago, ORV said:

If it's the Regatta cruise on the 20th that you started a Roll Call for it doesn't overnight in Cabo. Did you change to another one?

We're on Celebrity Eclipse on October 28th.  That overnights in Cabo.  

On 8/8/2023 at 6:00 AM, chromered7 said:

Because of the recent changes on our usual cruise line has the experience remained the same on O ? We are looking at alternatives for cruises in the future and O  has a very good reputation  but is that still true?

I have yet to post a review and I intend to...but briefly, we just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Regatta August 28-September 7. This was our fourth O cruise and it paled in comparison to our previous cruises. The food was lack luster and repetitive, not bad, just very ordinary. My husband sent back two steaks, one in Polo (raw) and the other from GDR (full of gristle). I finally cancelled my entree another evening (GDR) at 9:20 after hearing nothing to let us know what was taking so long. They were short staffed in most areas and we had a language barrier with too many of the staff in the restaurants. I think that is what I missed the most, not having that chance to build a relationship with the staff we saw every day. We did love our room steward and rewarded her in our reviews and gratuities. We came home and canceled a cruise we booked for next spring.😥

• Like 1

I sure would have thought from this statement you meant the O Mexican Riviera overnights in Cabo. It all seemed to be in the same thought. 

16 minutes ago, calicakes said:

The next O is Mexican Rivera from LA and since we live in LA, easy to get to the port.  We overnight in Cabo and we'll go out for Mexican food in a few of the ports. 

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

I sure would have thought from this statement you meant the O Mexican Riviera overnights in Cabo. It all seemed to be in the same thought. 

What can I say?  I've spent the majority of the day rocking back and forth.  My brain is a bit jumbled. 

Changing subjects.  The pastries.  I remember from our first O cruise in Feb 2022 that the croissants and Danish were so fresh and really delicious.  The pastries are not as fresh or delicious this time.  I actually think I've lost weight on this cruise. 

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I think that Oceania would be very expensive means of transportation from LA to Cabo if you just want to get there and eat Mexican food ashore. 

5 hours ago, calicakes said:

We're from New England & the "Chowdas" on board were excellent, but the Oysters Rockefeller were horrid. Food is subjective. Overall the food on O has been better than any line with the exception of the Grills on Cunard. Thee it's a tie.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, osandomir said:

I think that Oceania would be very expensive means of transportation from LA to Cabo if you just want to get there and eat Mexican food ashore. 

Omg. Did I say that? I live in LA. I can have Mexican food whenever I want.   My point is this. I'm able to have a different meal on shore vs same food different day.

10 hours ago, rbtan said:

We're from New England & the "Chowdas" on board were excellent, but the Oysters Rockefeller were horrid. Food is subjective. Overall the food on O has been better than any line with the exception of the Grills on Cunard. Thee it's a tie.

This was horrible clam chowder.

20230924_184428.jpg

2 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

Our first O cruise is Friday. We have made a very bad mistake after reading the above posts.  My wife said stay with Viking but I said let’s give O a try. Now I’m never going to hear the end of this from her. 

Or you’re going to find out that people have different tastes, diffentent likes and dislikes and tha you should take everything you read online with a huge grain of salt.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

Our first O cruise is Friday. We have made a very bad mistake after reading the above posts.  My wife said stay with Viking but I said let’s give O a try. Now I’m never going to hear the end of this from her. 

Here's an idea for you, go and make your own decisions, and don't just see the negative posts. There have been many people go and love it. Until you've experienced it for yourself don't prejudge. Just my .02

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

Here's an idea for you, go and make your own decisions, and don't just see the negative posts. There have been many people go and love it. Until you've experienced it for yourself don't prejudge. Just my .02

Couldn’t agree more!  The main criticisms on this thread is from a couple who disliked almost everything from the moment they saw the cabin and attempted to place their luggage under the bed and the complaints and photos kept coming.  Again, we did the same cruise as them on 9/6 and it was wonderful….our 21st with O. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brad1185 said:

Would love to hear back on your perspective. If you wouldn’t mind, please let us know your experiences. 
I hope that you have a fantastic time and love your choice of Oceania. 

• Like 1

I just spent 30 days on Vista and lucky me, the pastries were to die for (my waistline hates me).  I only had two meals I would call not up to standards and let our waiter know;  I was graciously offered something to my liking instead.  The chef making the Yorkshire Pudding committed crimes against my English heritage and I was willing to offer a lesson but thought better of it 😂😂😂.   Other than that, delicious.

What was a concern was once we got to NYC, the service wasn't as attentive as the prior 28 days was.  While I suspect it was because they were distracted by the big TA/FDR shindig preparations, it was noticeable.  Were we neglected?  Of course not but things were slower, the dinner service in Toscana was particularly subpar and the MDR appeared short staffed as service on the last night took a long time compared to prior nights. Too bad that the horrendous online feedback form doesn't work with Apple devices so that I could alert someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad1185 said:

Social media sites are magnets for negative posts.  In spite of that, there have been numerous positive reviews recently, which you may have missed. Don't go on your cruise with negative attitude, as every liitle thing will annoy you and deepen your negativity.  Go with an open mind and reasonable expectations and enjoy the experience.  It won't be perfect, but neither are the experiences on Azamara or Viking Ocean.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1