Silversea Endeavour R/T Pond Inlet 8/10-20/2023

PAllinson

Leaving today for Montreal to overnight at Fairmont QE, then on to a Charter flight to Ilaquit for an overnight then embarking on 8/10 (port changed to Ilaquit from Pond Inlet due to heavy Ice buildup around Pond Inlet. I will post some photos and details of the trip as we progress, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PAllinson said:

Leaving today for Montreal to overnight at Fairmont QE, then on to a Charter flight to Ilaquit for an overnight then embarking on 8/10 (port changed to Ilaquit from Pond Inlet due to heavy Ice buildup around Pond Inlet. I will post some photos and details of the trip as we progress, 

Looking g forward to hearing about your trip.  Fair winds!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PAllinson said:

I think you meant Iqaluit, which is the capital of Nunavut. 🇨🇦 320px-Flag_of_Nunavut.svg.png

The flag of Nunavut. 

8 hours ago, PAllinson said:

I will be hanging on every word of your review. We sail on the Endeavour at the end of October. Have a fabulous time!

45 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi, interesting that you leaving from Iqualuit! I'm on the August 20th Endeavour cruise from Pond Inlet. Please share info on your trip. Enjoy!!

If Pond Inlet is still iced up (see post 1) you too might be leaving from Iqaluit.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:11 AM, HappyLadyTravels said:

Thank you for the update. Kindly share if you need a zodiac to get to the ship in Inqaluit. How is the hotel there? Did Silversea provide all the meals at the hotel? Anything to see around the hotel?

Thanks for asking the questions…we too would love to know as we are on the 20 th august trip.

from what I have read Iqaluit is a deep water port but not sure if there is docking.

Hi Emdee, glad you know you are on the upcoming August 20th voyage. I found a website that states there is a cruise port in Iqaluit.  I wonder if there is sea ice in Pond Inlet, if then we can avoid that 2nd flight! And how it would change the schedule.  Are you starting in Montreal also? Maxine

1 minute ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi Emdee, glad you know you are on the upcoming August 20th voyage. I found a website that states there is a cruise port in Iqaluit.  I wonder if there is sea ice in Pond Inlet, if then we can avoid that 2nd flight! And how it would change the schedule.  Are you starting in Montreal also? Maxine

Yes I am. Flying Toronto to Montreal on the 18 th. 
I read  

Iqaluit’s bay has some of the world’s highest variances in tide levels. Depending on when a ship is docked, there can be a water level variance of nine to 11 metres. 

If the ship is to dock then apparently there is a two hour window only for the tides. Fun and games!

We are Colin, Miriam and Chiara D’Cunha. 

9 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Thanks for asking the questions…we too would love to know as we are on the 20 th august trip.

from what I have read Iqaluit is a deep water port but not sure if there is docking.

Hope to see you all in Montreal on the 18th. My friend Arline is arriving from another part of California, and we are two solo's.  This will be her first Silversea cruise. 

3 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Yes I am. Flying Toronto to Montreal on the 18 th. 
I read  

Iqaluit’s bay has some of the world’s highest variances in tide levels. Depending on when a ship is docked, there can be a water level variance of nine to 11 metres. 

If the ship is to dock then apparently there is a two hour window only for the tides. Fun and games!

We are Colin, Miriam and Chiara D’Cunha. 

Interesting about the tides. Let's hope we hear from the August 10th passengers with updates. Maxine Kane, and Arline Moran.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hope to see you all in Montreal on the 18th. My friend Arline is arriving from another part of California, and we are two solo's.  This will be her first Silversea cruise. 

Daughter is a Solo too! She will be hiking. We are knee replacement candidates so will enjoy more gentle pursuits. Lol. 

2 hours ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Apparently it will be a zodiac transfer in Iqaluit according to a current sailor.

Do not fly air Canada, we were the lucky ones our flight to Montreal was delayed 4 hours, others had their flights canceled. The charter flight to ilaquit was great. Did not get the second flight to Pond inlet due to ice preventing the Endeavour from getting ther, instead we boarded in Ilaquit late after noon. Ship is beautiful, staff great, food excellent. First 2 days of zodiac excursions canceled due to heavy fog. Have been ship bound since boarding , itinerary totally messed up. Hope to do an excursion today. 

IMG_1171.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your response.

I am flying Porter. But should we have a problem we will drive to Montreal!

Lots of storms and some tornado type activity that messes up the flights. 

Sorry to hear about the fog. Hope it clears up for you. Your second photograph is amazing. Love it.

Edited by Emdee

Due to starting from Ilaquit because of ice at pond inlet, we lost all but one of our Greenland stops.Due to fog as we worked our way north we lost several excisions and have only been off the ship 3 times since boarding. On a clear day they did not launch the zodiacs due to a couple of polar bears over a mile away from the ship. Today we did not launch zodiacs because the seas were too rough, they seem to be overly cautious.  No Greenland ports due to starting in Ilaquit, they cleared customs offshore in Greenland at cape York but we were not allowed to get off the ship, entire itinerary was FUBR. Most of the passengers asking for a refund.  

I guess I don't understand. Why would most of the pax ask for a refund? Its an expedition isn't it? How can Silversea or any other cruise line for that matter, control the weather or other conditions. It isn't like going to Disneyland with artificially created hazards one can turn off and on.  

• Like 2