New dress code on the Silver Nova!!

A Tucson Guy

Just now, tinaincc said:

No, I am referring to Bucees!IMG_4369.thumb.jpeg.7818e662616dd31ab694d860023ddb37.jpeg

Oh - you are right.  It is Bucees.  My husband and I were driving cross country through Texas, and that was my only experience.  I saw the buck teeth and just thought it was Buckees.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

So true.

In my home, shorts are formal wear.

Proper shorts of course - years ago the police were equipped with cards to measure the height of the hem of the shorts above the knee - had to be 4 inches - if the shorts were too short the wearer was reprimanded and told to dress properly.

Times do change, I have no problem changing with them.

I people watch and am frequently surprised (in general, not just on cruise ships) by what garments some people feel fit them and are suitable for wearing in public - it doesn't detract from my cruise enjoyment, quite the reverse, it gives me much amusement.

Being from Bermuda, you wouldn't get many opportunities to wear a suit!

I get the impression the majority of posters who are strongly in favour of 'formal attire' come from the US (or parts of the UK). What if someone wanted to wear their cultural or religious attire? would that be deemed offensive because it wasn't what someone in North Carolina would wear?

If nothing else, surely the pandemic has made society look at "the more important things in life".  How privileged are we to come out of this alive and affluent enough to afford such experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fdnycruiser said:

As far as dress codes go, I go along with whatever that may be. I never minded wearing a jacket or tie, but things are changing. Cruise lines do a lot of marketing research. Baby boomers like myself are either in their 70’s or approaching their 70’s. Gen X are entering their 50’s and are more individualistic than the boomers or silent generation. As boomers and silent generations began to pass on, the greatest transfer of wealth is beginning. Most of the recipients of this wealth will be Gen X and Millennials. They’re definitely a different type of cat than us.I believe cruise lines as well as other travel related businesses are aware of this and planning accordingly. 
  BTW, I’ve been reading a newly released book, “ Generations” by Jean M. Twenge. Very insightful about the changes we’re seeing. 

I am Gen x and I think you are accurate.  

I've noticed my inlaws, now in their 70s, have ceased to travel as much.  I'm disappointed for them because it was something they really enjoyed (especially cruises).  Their needs are now very different.

When I saw the advertisements for Antarctica and the Arctic, my husband and I both agreed we were at a stage in our lives where we needed to do more expedition style journeys whilst we were 'still physically able'.  We all age differently, and you get some people in their 70s and 80s who are fitter than people 30 years younger!

Unfortunately, my father in law is already showing signs of dementia, and it's just becoming too risky for him to be on the other side of the world with my husband's mother.  They did have their travel dreams abruptly halted because of the pandemic, but many others experience life changing and unpredictable hurdles in life. 

In 2021 I had a tough battle with septicaemia, that infected my heart and my eyes.  I was given a 5 to 10% chance of survival.  Consequently, I ended up in hospital 9 times in 2021/22 and got through the worst of it.  Sadly it caused glaucoma in my eyes, which is something I am still fighting.  I have surgery again in a few weeks time, to once again try to save my sight.

We've been lucky enough to experience many forms of travel, and seen most countries we have both wanted to see. I now want to do as many things as I can, because we really don't know when our life journeys will finish.  I just know that planning this amazing trip to Iceland and Greenland fills me with hope and optimism.  I'm not going for another year, but I've been spending my days immersing myself in Icelandic novels, Icelandic language, Icelandic history etc. I have maps, I have books, I have watched every documentary.

EVERY person on The Silver Endeavour will have a 'story' about how and why they ended up in The Arctic.  I will be surprised if their main motivation will be to show off their latest purchase from Neiman Marcus.  With only 200 passengers, I'm sure I'll meet some amazing people from all over the world!

I loved Ryan's blog about his young family's recent cruises throughout Scotland and onto Iceland, where they were so impressed with their voyage, they booked another one to Greenland! You are right; Ryan and his family represent a new market for SS (I believe they are millennials).  I love that Ryan took his kids to places where they could really learn something about isolation, the impact of climate change, resilience, and so many other factors that will help craft their young minds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AusMum said:

I've noticed my inlaws, now in their 70s, have ceased to travel as much.  I'm disappointed for them because it was something they really enjoyed (especially cruises).  Their needs are now very different.

When I saw the advertisements for Antarctica and the Arctic, my husband and I both agreed we were at a stage in our lives where we needed to do more expedition style journeys whilst we were 'still physically able'.  We all age differently, and you get some people in their 70s and 80s who are fitter than people 30 years younger!

Unfortunately, my father in law is already showing signs of dementia, and it's just becoming too risky for him to be on the other side of the world with my husband's mother.  They did have their travel dreams abruptly halted because of the pandemic, but many others experience life changing and unpredictable hurdles in life. 

In 2021 I had a tough battle with septicaemia, that infected my heart and my eyes.  I was given a 5 to 10% chance of survival.  Consequently, I ended up in hospital 9 times in 2021/22 and got through the worst of it.  Sadly it caused glaucoma in my eyes, which is something I am still fighting.  I have surgery again in a few weeks time, to once again try to save my sight.

We've been lucky enough to experience many forms of travel, and seen most countries we have both wanted to see. I now want to do as many things as I can, because we really don't know when our life journeys will finish.  I just know that planning this amazing trip to Iceland and Greenland fills me with hope and optimism.  I'm not going for another year, but I've been spending my days immersing myself in Icelandic novels, Icelandic language, Icelandic history etc. I have maps, I have books, I have watched every documentary.

EVERY person on The Silver Endeavour will have a 'story' about how and why they ended up in The Arctic.  I will be surprised if their main motivation will be to show off their latest purchase from Neiman Marcus.  With only 200 passengers, I'm sure I'll meet some amazing people from all over the world!

I loved Ryan's blog about his young family's recent cruises throughout Scotland and onto Iceland, where they were so impressed with their voyage, they booked another one to Greenland! You are right; Ryan and his family represent a new market for SS (I believe they are millennials).  I love that Ryan took his kids to places where they could really learn something about isolation, the impact of climate change, resilience, and so many other factors that will help craft their young minds.

This was so touching in many ways. Thank you for sharing. You have help focus my perspective this Monday morning and I am grateful. My wish is that you have the most amazing adventure in life and in Iceland next year!

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AusMum said:

Helps to keep perspective, thanks a lot! Jacket, tie. who cares. those things are so insignificant. We travel to see the world. Who cares what people are wearing.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Helps to keep perspective, thanks a lot! Jacket, tie. who cares. those things are so insignificant. We travel to see the world. Who cares what people are wearing.

On a Transatlantic, which we take annually after some time in Europe, the ship *is* "the world" for the vast majority of days! 

For us, regardless of the itinerary, the ship is always more than just transportation - not just where we go, but how we get there - with all of the many nuances that implies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Does this mean that you don’t cruise based on dress code? You mentioned that you stopped cruising Regent because it was too casual. Now you are going back more than likely even though it is still more casual than SS? Trying to understand your perspective. 

Somewhat surprised by your comment.  The dress code on the Nova will be essentially the same as Regent.  Regent has Elegant Casual (or words to that effect) most evenings, with the very occasional Optional Formal night on long cruises.  Nova will now be Elegant Casual (or words to that effect) most evenings, with a few Optional Formal nights.  On recent Silversea cruises on other ships, including a cruise on the Silver Moon we just returned from about a week ago, there were also "Informal" nights (which is sort of between Elegant Casual and Optional Formal).  On those nights I dressed up a bit more than I did on Elegant Casual nights, as did most other passengers.  What can I say -- I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the general ambiance on the ship that resulted from this.  I'm not sure why it seems to so upset some people that I prefer this.    

As most of you know, the dress codes, whatever they are. affect men a lot more than women. It is the guys that may or not have to wear a tie or a jacket and not the ladies. Since we don't always know what gender is responding, maybe a hint would help. Ladies are essentially excluded from the problem as they can almost wear almost anything and still fit in on the dress codes. I'm a guy and I would rather not wear a tie but I am OK with a jacket some nights unless the restaurant is warm and then the jacket comes right off. If a lady says ties should be worn, that is different that a guy stating that. One gender is committed and the other is observing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

As most of you know, the dress codes, whatever they are. affect men a lot more than women. It is the guys that may or not have to wear a tie or a jacket and not the ladies. Since we don't always know what gender is responding, maybe a hint would help. Ladies are essentially excluded from the problem as they can almost wear almost anything and still fit in on the dress codes. I'm a guy and I would rather not wear a tie but I am OK with a jacket some nights unless the restaurant is warm and then the jacket comes right off. If a lady says ties should be worn, that is different that a guy stating that. One gender is committed and the other is observing.

Interesting. As a woman, you are right, we come out ahead. Since I do all of the packing for our trips, we do carry on only when possible, I often share what I believe my DH would say if asked. We are elegant casual fans every night if possible!

1 hour ago, tinaincc said:

Interesting. As a woman, you are right, we come out ahead. Since I do all of the packing for our trips, we do carry on only when possible, I often share what I believe my DH would say if asked. We are elegant casual fans every night if possible!

I'll drink to that!! Actually next Monday I will do that.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:48 PM, broker1217 said:

Per the email sent specific to Nova:

Gentlemen dining at La Dame are required to wear a jacket.

On our Moon cruise around Iceland last month, a jacket was required in La Dame. I had no jacket, so the maitre d' simply grabbed one from a closet, followed me to the table and placed it on the back of my chair.  Seemed silly, but apparently it met Silversea's requirement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seattleskibums said:

On our Moon cruise around Iceland last month, a jacket was required in La Dame. I had no jacket, so the maitre d' simply grabbed one from a closet, followed me to the table and placed it on the back of my chair.  Seemed silly, but apparently it met Silversea's requirement.

I think it is practices like that which highlighted the outdated requirements and potentially led them to change the policy for the new ships.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 8:08 AM, ak1004 said:

On the formal nights, can men dine in the Grill or the Pizza place without a jacket? if so, it means you don't need a jacket on SS cruises anymore if you don't want to. Definitely positive development, hopefully other ships will follow.

Men always have been able to dine at the Grill and pizza joint without a jacket on formal nights.  The jacket thing is a joke. I've been on six Silversea cruises and never have worn a jacket to any meal. The food actually tastes the same whether you're wearing a jacket or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, seattleskibums said:

Men always have been able to dine at the Grill and pizza joint without a jacket on formal nights.  The jacket thing is a joke. I've been on six Silversea cruises and never have worn a jacket to any meal. The food actually tastes the same whether you're wearing a jacket or not.

but in Atlantide and few other venues they won’t let you in without a jacket on formal and informal nights. La Dame for sure, I think also Silver Note.

8 minutes ago, seattleskibums said:

Apparently, not for all…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The food tastes the same for me whether I'm wearing a jacket or not – but apparently it doesn't taste the same to some others if I'm not wearing a jacket...

Straw man argument resurrected again?

You could eat that meal in the engine room and it would taste the same, but the ambience might be a bit lacking - though perhaps unforgettable.

On 8/13/2023 at 9:52 AM, canderson said:

I could show up at a truck stop diner and bring my own linens and silver, but it would be hard for me to ignore that all of the other tables were still bare Formica with mismatched flatware.  Evidently that's much easier to do for some?  While some argue that they pay no attention things outside of their own table, many do take note of a world outside of their immediate 'bubble'.

What I believe @Sweetpea711423 is doing her best to express is that, for her, attire is one of many factors that impact the overall ambience of dining.  When we dress for dinner, we do so understanding that we are a contributing factor to others' perception of that ambience, and try to make a point of dressing in a manner appropriate to the venue out of respect for the house and other diners...

Here's an idea: Why not just make the main dining room the formal venue on formal nights?  That way people who want to contribute to others' perception of a formal ambience and dress in a manner appropriate to the venue all can gather in the same room.  The rest of us can enjoy our meals in casual attire at other venues.  Everyone is happy!

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Straw man argument resurrected again?

You could eat that meal in the engine room and it would taste the same, but the ambience might be a bit lacking - though perhaps unforgettable.

I think yours is the 'straw man argument.'  I appreciate the table setting [white tablecloth please, although that seems to be optional in trendy restaurants on land and sea these days] and the presentation – all of which add to my enjoyment ['taste'].  The table next to mine?–much less effect on me.  Maybe you just need a little more focus.  

[PS – having owned a classic British car, the smell of engine oil – or clutch fluid–  would not enhance the taste of my meal!]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seattleskibums said:

Here's an idea: Why not just make the main dining room the formal venue on formal nights?  That way people who want to contribute to others' perception of a formal ambience and dress in a manner appropriate to the venue all can gather in the same room.  The rest of us can enjoy our meals in casual attire at other venues.  Everyone is happy!

I would argue that the new code on Nova is better than that as everyone can dress how they prefer without being excluded.

This change was based on customer feedback, not sure why these rabid complainers are getting so much attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

[PS – having owned a classic British car, the smell of engine oil – or clutch fluid–  would not enhance the taste of my meal!]

If you were depending on its headlights to see your plate, that might have been an issue as well.

Lucas - Prince of Darkness, and all that...

28 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

but in Atlantide and few other venues they won’t let you in without a jacket on formal and informal nights. La Dame for sure, I think also Silver Note.

That's not true. I ate in Atlantide without a jacket on a number of informal nights.  I avoided Atlantide and Silver Note on formal nights.  La Dame has become obsolete because the food is as good or better in other venues, so I wouldn't care if they required a suit of armor to eat there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1