drink cards

electro

I am not getting the HIA on my upcoming 13 day Zaandam cruise. I will probably buy a wine package. For other drinks, is there any advantage to purchasing a drink card or shipboard credit as apposed to just paying as I go/having it added to my account.

Thanks

No advantage, unfortunately. I've done the beverage card and just adding some shipboard credit. Using OBC , I found, was better. It was a nuisance having to get them to scan the separate card and keep track of the remaining balance.

14 minutes ago, electro said:

I am not getting the HIA on my upcoming 13 day Zaandam cruise. I will probably buy a wine package. For other drinks, is there any advantage to purchasing a drink card or shipboard credit as apposed to just paying as I go/having it added to my account.

Thanks

I sometimes buy a drink card so that I have paid for my drinks pre-cruise (when I don't have HIA or enough OBC to likely cover my "drinks" - both non-alcoholic and alcoholic).  I like having my balance at the end of the cruise to be $0 or a refund to my CC.  

4 hours ago, electro said:

For other drinks, is there any advantage to purchasing a drink card or shipboard credit as apposed to just paying as I go/having it added to my account.

I've never had a Signature Beverage Card, or HIA, but usually purchase a drink card. 
I take longer cruises, so paying for a drink each time creates a long final bill that goes on for two many pages to reconcile easily. Purchasing a drink card (or two) creates only one or two charges, which are easy to reconcile. 
They do, however, establish a balance due at the end of the cruise, unless I have sufficient OBC (HA! that'll be the day!)

Just now, ShipWalker said:

In your booking there is "Beverages".

Towards the bottom of the list you will find beverage cards to purchase, $50, $100, $250 and non alcoholic $50

Yes, I've seen them there, but wanted to know if there are any advantages to them, other than prepaying for your drinks.

The only advantage I can see would be if I could by them when the exchange rates are good but there hasn't been a good exchange rate for Canadians in a really long time.

13 minutes ago, electro said:

Yes, I've seen them there, but wanted to know if there are any advantages to them, other than prepaying for your drinks.

The only advantage I can see would be if I could by them when the exchange rates are good but there hasn't been a good exchange rate for Canadians in a really long time.

That point and not having a lengthy bill trying to match drinks up are the 2 reasons I did it when I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, majmaj4 said:

Deleted my question

36 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

In your booking there is "Beverages".

Towards the bottom of the list you will find beverage cards to purchase, $50, $100, $250 and non alcoholic $50

33 minutes ago, electro said:

Yes, I've seen them there, but wanted to know if there are any advantages to them, other than prepaying for your drinks...

Seems the question I was responding to was deleted. LOL

Any leftover credit on the card at the end of the cruise we buy the most expensive bottle of wine to zero out the card to take home and enjoy after unpacking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Why would they sell a $50 drink card and a $50 non alcohol card?  Fifty dollars is $50. 

Some passengers purchase the non-alcohol card for their children. That way there is no temptation for older teens to try to get alcohol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Some passengers purchase the non-alcohol card for their children. That way there is no temptation for older teens to try to get alcohol.

I detect savvy parent vibes. 😀