Noordam- Casual food offerings?

QuattroRomeo

We have been on the Noordam, but many years ago; can someone with more recent experience comment on the food offerings at Explorations Cafe and Lido sandwiches?

We enjoyed the NY Deli and Dutch Cafe on RDam and KDam, so just wondering what we could expect for deli style sandwiches and various Dutch treats? I know it won't be the same, but maybe there are some other things to look forward to? I see Dive-In is there, so that is good.

1 hour ago, QuattroRomeo said:

food offerings at Explorations Cafe and Lido sandwiches?

We enjoyed the NY Deli and Dutch Cafe on RDam and KDam, so just wondering what we could expect for deli style sandwiches and various Dutch treats? 

The Explorations Cafe does not have much choice in snacks, usually just a couple things at a time, like biscotti or maybe mini-muffins. I have never had a sandwich in the Lido (!) so can't comment there.

• Like 1

Count me as someone not particularly enamored with the Dutch Cafe offerings, though it is nice to have food/snack delivery on this lower deck. So it has been a good addition to the newer larger ships and well executed for that. Bravo HAL for celebrating your Dutch heritage. After we tried several menu items, it was back to the Lido for us for any mid-day snacking.

We personally like the ready made Grab and Go sandwiches, and never lacked in finding plenty of other good things to eat at the Lido Buffet - small plate appetizers; salad bar; distant lands, custom made sandwiches; ice cream; cookies; desserts; and did someone mention potato chips? I understand the make your own nacho/taco bar is making a comeback on some ships too.

It is easier to get to the Lido on the smaller ships like the Noodam, so it pretty much can serve all snacking needs, including access to the Dive-Inn and their wonderful french fries. Along with speciality coffees at the Explorations Cafe.

I do miss the extra fee Gelato Bar on the larger HAL ships - that was an excellent product for the price.

Just this morning at Explorations I had a “sugar bomb”. A doughnut type pastry - small, round, dusted in sugar and cinnamon - very good. But as someone mentioned, there are just various pastries - the same you will find in Lido. BTW - the bomb was good.

Lido has sooooo many food options - and everything is excellent. One thing however, Divein does have some pre-made burgers available - from what I have heard they are not the best.

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Count me as someone not particularly enamored with the Dutch Cafe offerings, though it is nice to have food/snack delivery on this lower deck. So it has been a good addition to the newer larger ships and well executed for that. Bravo HAL for celebrating your Dutch heritage. After we tried several menu items, it was back to the Lido for us for any mid-day snacking.

We personally like the ready made Grab and Go sandwiches, and never lacked in finding plenty of other good things to eat at the Lido Buffet - small plate appetizers; salad bar; distant lands, custom made sandwiches; ice cream; cookies; desserts; and did someone mention potato chips? I understand the make your own nacho/taco bar is making a comeback on some ships too.

It is easier to get to the Lido on the smaller ships like the Noodam, so it pretty much can serve all snacking needs, including access to the Dive-Inn and their wonderful french fries. Along with speciality coffees at the Explorations Cafe.

I do miss the extra fee Gelato Bar on the larger HAL ships - that was an excellent product for the price.

Thanks, OlsSalt! It sounds like I will just "serve all snacking needs" at the Lido! (Love that phrase🙂). Plus the great fries at Dive-In. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RD64 said:

Just this morning at Explorations I had a “sugar bomb”. A doughnut type pastry - small, round, dusted in sugar and cinnamon - very good. But as someone mentioned, there are just various pastries - the same you will find in Lido. BTW - the bomb was good.

Lido has sooooo many food options - and everything is excellent. One thing however, Divein does have some pre-made burgers available - from what I have heard they are not the best.

Thank you! A sugar bomb treat with coffee sounds alright to me. But I hope Dive-In is still good; as long as they don't mess with my Backflip chicken burger, I'll be fine!

10 hours ago, RD64 said:

Divein does have some pre-made burgers available

I have not seen this on any of my HAL cruises.  Burgers were all made to order on the ships I have been on as far as I could tell as of November 2022. 

Can you tell us more about those premade burgers at Dive In please?  I can't imagine why passengers would want that!!  😟

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

The pre-made burgers are just a plain burger on a bun, and I believe the sign said ready to go - will double check today. They are kept on the taco bar. One thing about the fries, on Monday the fries were served in the regular paper cup. Yesterday, they were served in a very small paper sleeve. Anyone of a certain vintage will remember the McDonald’s paper sleeves of years ago - hopefully this is was just a one off day. 

• Thanks 1

I was on the Noordam a few months ago (and will be again in a few weeks).   The Dive In had burgers and hotdogs; there was a taco bar in the Lido (that was great).   There are pastries and such at the coffee bar.   The buffet is open late (midnightish) with some limited food (sandwiches, pre made salads, IIRC).  

57 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I was on the Noordam a few months ago (and will be again in a few weeks).   The Dive In had burgers and hotdogs; there was a taco bar in the Lido (that was great).   There are pastries and such at the coffee bar.   The buffet is open late (midnightish) with some limited food (sandwiches, pre made salads, IIRC).  

That sounds alright! Any favourites?

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

Can you tell us more about those premade burgers at Dive In please?  I can't imagine why passengers would want that!!  😟

On K'dam last January, there were pre-made (wrapped I believe) plain burgers and cheeseburgs lined up for people who didn't want to wait. They would make all choices to order with pagers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have not seen this on any of my HAL cruises.  Burgers were all made to order on the ships I have been on as far as I could tell as of November 2022. 

~Nancy

DH is a big fan of Dive in and has never had a premade burger.  I don’t think that is a thing.  

Once a cruise I will go to dive in for some afternoon battered fries. 

We got off of the Noordam a week ago and there is a reasonable selection of deli sandwiches in the LIDO.  They normally make up a veggie, tuna, and a deli meat sandwich plus they'll make you a custom sandwich.

Regarding the Dive-In premade burgers, I had one.  One and done.  I ordered mine fresh after that and those are just fine. 

• Like 1

I've grabbed pre-made burger from Dive-In when the line was too long to wait. Probably lucky timing, but they were fresh, hit off the grill as a guy was wrapping & putting them out when I walked up. They were located at the Dive-In window on the right hand side 

Grand Dutch Cafe has a really good ham and cheese pannini-type (not panning but similar) sandwich. They're made fresh - hot, gooey, crispy and yummy!! Pair w/Dutch pea soup, follow with insanely huge apple pie and you've got Heaven at Sea!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

We got off of the Noordam a week ago and there is a reasonable selection of deli sandwiches in the LIDO.  They normally make up a veggie, tuna, and a deli meat sandwich plus they'll make you a custom sandwich.

Regarding the Dive-In premade burgers, I had one.  One and done.  I ordered mine fresh after that and those are just fine. 

Thank you, I was wondering about deli sandwiches , as we quite like NY Deli on the Pinnacles!

(Hope you are feeling better, I enjoyed your review)!

15 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Thank you, I was wondering about deli sandwiches , as we quite like NY Deli on the Pinnacles!

(Hope you are feeling better, I enjoyed your review)!

I've found the NY Deli on the Pinnacle class ships to be superb!