First time Cunard ... and maybe last time ?!

ajpeter

It's a natural thing, if someone is a regular QG traveller, and gets to know many of the staff, invariably, the staff will favour those who they know.

In business, there is a well known cliche; it's not companies that do business, it's people. Same applies.

On one particular ship, a certain Maitre d' always gives us the same table.

I would be particularly miffed, if a newbie on a wee three day jaunt, got me ousted from my normal table just because they felt entitled.

I've spent a lot of money with Cunard, so much so, my bank manager thinks I'm buying the ship. Am I not entitled to some loyalty treatment from the QG staff with whom we are very friendly?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It is lovely to be recognised and welcomed back, and good that it happens. But they must be careful not to make it seem like a club where those who are newcomers or simply not remembered (me perhaps) feel excluded.

It's 'a club' anyone can join just by being chatty and friendly.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Although this thread is about QG service, and I've only sailed in Britannia class (on both the QM2 and QE), I agree 100% with Victoria2. On our 21 night QM2 sailing in 2019, we had pre-dinner cocktails every single night in the Chart Room, and always sat at the bar. By the third night, our favorite bartender would smile at us as we walked in and would lift a bottle of Tanqueray, in effect asking "Two of your usual martinis tonight?" I did indeed feel like we had joined a club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

I've spent a lot of money with Cunard, so much so, my bank manager thinks I'm buying the ship. Am I not entitled to some loyalty treatment from the QG staff with whom we are very friendly?

Ours probably thinks we've bought it!!😁

To follow on from your post, people matter, whatever rung of life we're on and the more we interact with staff and fellow passengers, the more they will remember us and be prepared to chat back.

Human nature.🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Ours probably thinks we've bought it!!😁

To follow on from your post, people matter, whatever rung of life we're on and the more we interact with staff and fellow passengers, the more they will remember us and be prepared to chat back.

Human nature.🙂

Some of us are simply not very memorable. I would not expect anyone, except perhaps Ico, who probably has a crib sheet, to remember me when we board on Sunday, despite the fact we were there in May. If they do, it will probably be as ‘the woman who managed to get Covid and cause lots of extra work.’ But we’ll see.

I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience.  For what it's worth, we've had a couple of disappointing experiences in QG - one with a butler and one with a maitre d'.  Fortunately both experiences were one-offs, and didn't lessen our preference for Cunard over the other lines we've tried.

Edited by alc13

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Exactly, spot on.  I was taken to task by a couple once ( when I shared a large table of six in PG)  that I was far tooooooo familiar with the wait staff . Probably miffed that I received Two Extra portions of the Lobster tail.

Top tip, interact often and  'use wait staff names'  they all wear a name badge.    

• Like 4

Some people love chatting to staff (ourselves) some are quiet. 

This should make absolutely no difference to the level of service you recieve. I know it's been said, it's just human nature for staff to come to people they know and chat to. However professional training should override this  and mean that all recieve the same high level of service. 

This is differenent to recognising loyalty,  which should be part of the system not left to memory,  also it's loyalty across all 3 ships that counts, so no member of staff will know this without a system. 

• Like 1

You cannot make folk act outside their

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Exactly, spot on.  I was taken to task by a couple once ( when I shared a large table of six in PG)  that I was far tooooooo familiar with the wait staff . Probably miffed that I received Two Extra portions of the Lobster tail.

Top tip, interact often and  'use wait staff names'  they all wear a name badge.    

If one is retiring by nature, it's very hard to interact with those you don't know, eg staff, but it's really the main way to be remembered and welcomed back etc etc.

There is also a time and place. It is often nice to have a fairly lengthy chat at lunch when the restaurant is pretty empty because lots of people have gone on tours. Slowing the staff down during is very busy dinner service, perhaps when lots have turned up together after a party, is fair on neither the staff or the fellow passengers, but I have seen people try to do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If one is retiring by nature, it's very hard to interact with those you don't know, eg staff, but it's really the main way to be remembered and welcomed back etc etc.

Probably true. But it actually shouldn’t be.

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

Some people love chatting to staff (ourselves) some are quiet. 

This should make absolutely no difference to the level of service you recieve. I know it's been said, it's just human nature for staff to come to people they know and chat to. However professional training should override this  and mean that all recieve the same high level of service. 

This is differenent to recognising loyalty,  which should be part of the system not left to memory,  also it's loyalty across all 3 ships that counts, so no member of staff will know this without a system. 

For goodness sake, it doesn't affect the service as such but human nature dictates those who chat to others will find themselves more in a chatty conversation.

I almost give up here. One almost needs a psychology degree to continue this. And |I don't have one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Professional training and good systems should mean all are remembered , and wellcomed back. Why should "retiring" folk be disadvantaged,  Cunard should be the height of professionalism as well as friendliness. 

• Like 2

Just now, Windsurfboy said:

Professional training and good systems should mean all are remembered , and wellcomed back. Why should "retiring" folk be disadvantaged,  Cunard should be the height of professionalism as well as friendliness. 

and all are welcomed back but those who interact with staff will get it the interaction returned.

Short of sitting down for a f2f conversation, how are busy staff supposed to chat to those who are not terribly chatty?

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

So tell me, how should one be remembered short of a staff ipad with a brief history of passengers' Cunard travel and photographs?

Well, the restaurant staff certainly seem to have fantastic memories, as they address everyone by name after a very few meals. And, as I say, I strongly suspect Ico (and his fellows) does have some sort of crib sheet.

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Why not

I am pretty sure  staff do have a damned good idea of their passengers but you cannot make people interact if they are unable to for want of shyness or their nature and Cunard staff [I assume] are not there or I would imagine, not trained to draw out the more retiring passenger for any indepth conversations.

If you think they are then I'm afraid we will never ever agree.

and all are welcomed back but those who interact with staff will get it the interaction returned.

Short of sitting down for a f2f conversation, how are busy staff supposed to chat to those who are not terribly chatty?

This started off with the premise interaction resulted in better service , which is different to chatiness , it's remembering what people like, acting on request etc etc. For a retiring person may not want chatiness.

I think you know darned well what links chattiness/interaction with service. If you don't,well there we are, poles apart.

My argument is there should be no link.  That is what professional training is all about , everyone likes a different level of interaction. Chat to the chatty people yes, but provide equal service to all. 

What you describe is yes human nature, but professional training should override this and give everyone the attention and service they require.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

My argument is there should be no link.  That is what professional training is all about , everyone likes a different level of interaction. Chat to the chatty people yes, but provide equal service to all. 

What you describe is yes human nature, but professional training should override this and give everyone the attention and service they require.  

The link is an addition to professional training

I have no idea what the training is for Cunard staff but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include a degree in the psychology of passenger/staff interaction.

Bottom line.

The staff are professional. Some know passengers from previous cruises and interact with them accordingly. That does not detract from the level of service or attention offered to others.It is 'as well as'.

Interacting as Bellboy said with the staff, helps to be remembered. If you can't see this as an addition to the normal level of professional attention, then I am wasting my time.