Booking MDR on the app. Hardly anything available for 19/8 cruise on Sky

JG&Lcruisingnewbies

Just been looking at booking some times in the MDR for our 2 week cruise departing 19th Aug and there is not a lot possible on the app.

Do I need to worry about this? Is it easy to just show up or maybe they release more spaces on the app on the day?

We are a group of three who would like our own table so that probably will make things harder.
We like to eat early although that’s flexible and really don’t care what main dining room we eat in.

any advice welcome please

Thank you 

You don't have to make dining reservations for Anytime dining.  But if you really want to, you can.  One dining room is set up for the Reserve (minisuite/suite) dining and will have less room.  This is usually Soleil on 5 on the right side facing the restaurant (could change, check onboard).  Other entrance on left, both entrances to Estrella on 6 or aft dining room Cielo on 6 will be less crowded and easier to get into.  They will sit your group at your own table unless you ask.

In the past Soleil was tough getting into because of early fixed dining and Reserve (can't remember old name) taking up a lot of space.  Since they got rid of fixed seating should be easier now. 

Just remember that once the dining room fills they can't take more people until the first group finishes dinner.  So arriving an hour after the dining room opens can be impossible to get a seat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Just been looking at booking some times in the MDR for our 2 week cruise departing 19th Aug and there is not a lot possible on the app.

Do I need to worry about this? Is it easy to just show up or maybe they release more spaces on the app on the day?

We are a group of three who would like our own table so that probably will make things harder.
We like to eat early although that’s flexible and really don’t care what main dining room we eat in.

any advice welcome please

Thank you 

How many DR's can you see in the App?  Most ships have 3 DR's and it has been apparent for some time, that their may only be two of the three loaded into DMW pre-cruise.  If so, there is a whole DR available on board for bookings - unless they are using it strictly for walk-ups.

Otherwise, see DR Host or Mgr on Day 1 early and make request and they can probably get you set up.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

We are on board now. Estrella has reserve dining port side deck 6.

We've split between Soleil on 5 and Cielo on 6 mostly at 7.10. Maybe a 5 minute delay over the 2 weeks that's all. You could easily walk up I've yet to see either restaurant full at that time even on formal nights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

We are on board now. Estrella has reserve dining port side deck 6.

We've split between Soleil on 5 and Cielo on 6 mostly at 7.10. Maybe a 5 minute delay over the 2 weeks that's all. You could easily walk up I've yet to see either restaurant full at that time even on formal nights. 

Empty tables usually are not the issue - crew is - waitstaff and kitchen staff.

19 hours ago, voljeep said:

Empty tables usually are not the issue - crew is - waitstaff and kitchen staff.

Each restaurant has been well staffed and meals are prompt. There has not been anyone waiting at around 7pm. 

Bar areas are busy and are low on staff. Ordering on the app on the whole is a success but one order went awol and turned up 1.5 hours later one drink was a coffee and was stone cold and undrinkable. Commented on crew chat via app and was phoned immediately to sort it out. Offered to arrange full breakfasts to our room as a priority to apologise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

Offered to arrange full breakfasts to our room as a priority to apologise. 

The drink going AWOL wasn’t good but this seems a nice gesture and I’m impressed they called you. I’m pleased because my experience with Princess guest relations hasn’t been good at all. Sounds like they are far better dealing with complaints onboard than pre cruise. Good to know!

reassuring to see they restaurant has been well staffed too. Hope the food has been of good quality too.

23 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

@JG&Lcruisingnewbies  sorry, just seen it is your first time with Princess.

To find the web version, go to your booking on the Princess site. Look for the click on link, it will take you to the web version, which is very easy to use.

IMG_2211.thumb.png.09567dc9ee34f77479f1a1016896e377.png

Thank you for this!

I’ve tried, and for sure more options are available. Trouble is every time I try and book an available table, it’s tells me they can’t retrieve guests journey information. 

Does anyone have any idea what this means and if there is a way to get round this please?

thank you tho this is a great help 😊 

@Steelers36 you’re right, all I’ve seen having looked at most days is 2 dining rooms. Estrella isn’t noted at all

Please do you/anyone else know if this means it’s walk up only? Or bookable only onboard?

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Thank you for this!

I’ve tried, and for sure more options are available. Trouble is every time I try and book an available table, it’s tells me they can’t retrieve guests journey information. 

Does anyone have any idea what this means and if there is a way to get round this please?

@Steelers36 you’re right, all I’ve seen having looked at most days is 2 dining rooms. Estrella isn’t noted at all

Please do you/anyone else know if this means it’s walk up only? Or bookable only onboard?

Thanks 

It may open a couple of weeks before, but sometimes it doesn’t.

They have ended up the same as other MDR’s on the ships that we’ve been on.  Anytime dining and walk ups both.

We usually book mid ship 6 because we are booked in a cabin forward or midship.  But, if I was aft, I’d definitely check on this closer to departure.

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It may open a couple of weeks before, but sometimes it doesn’t.

They have ended up the same as other MDR’s on the ships that we’ve been on.  Anytime dining and walk ups both.

We usually book mid ship 6 because we are booked in a cabin forward or midship.  But, if I was aft, I’d definitely check on this closer to departure.

Thank you.

I travel in 8 days, yay! Only 2 dining rooms showing but it looks like I can’t book because of the error message about not being able to retrieve journey information 🤷‍♀️ 

Strangely the time in the top right corner of the dining booking page (web version of the app) is hours ago so I’ve no idea if that’s linked to the booking problem I’m experiencing.

I’ll keep trying or I’ll book on board if I have to. Would prefer to pre journey so 🤞 I can get this to work.

23 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Thank you.

I travel in 8 days, yay! Only 2 dining rooms showing but it looks like I can’t book because of the error message about not being able to retrieve journey information 🤷‍♀️ 

Strangely the time in the top right corner of the dining booking page (web version of the app) is hours ago so I’ve no idea if that’s linked to the booking problem I’m experiencing.

I’ll keep trying or I’ll book on board if I have to. Would prefer to pre journey so 🤞 I can get this to work.

Not sure of your error issue, but I would see the DR Mgr/Maitre’d when you board for lunch, or the hostess there to see if they can book you 3 inna private table for the cruise.  They may be holding back the aft MDR to have some control over bookings.

Best of luck!  Have a great cruise.

Thank you for this!

Thanks 

Something wrong or missing in guest booking record it appears.  Could be bad data between reservation system (POLAR) and Princess App.

Different ships may be handling it different ways, but I don't see why a table could not be reserved on board in the "missing" DR.  But it could also be geared for walk-ups.  You would need to ask someone on a Roll Call who is sailing the ship soon or if someone is doing a live trip report.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Something wrong or missing in guest booking record it appears.  Could be bad data between reservation system (POLAR) and Princess App.

Thanks for the info

could it be related to how I was Green lane, all completed, then Blue lane, which I was expecting but it was all completed. But suddenly overnight I have orange exclamation marks telling me we all need to order medallion wearables to complete check in? 🤷‍♀️

4 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

The drink going AWOL wasn’t good but this seems a nice gesture and I’m impressed they called you. I’m pleased because my experience with Princess guest relations hasn’t been good at all. Sounds like they are far better dealing with complaints onboard than pre cruise. Good to know!

reassuring to see they restaurant has been well staffed too. Hope the food has been of good quality too.

The food has been good but I never find food hot as in temperature. Had the steak and the land and sea( steak and lobster) steak cooked to my request but lobster disappointing. I love fish and that has been lovely...salmon, cod ,tuna.

Buffet had plenty of choice but keeping food hot means we only went a couple of times.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Thanks for the info

could it be related to how I was Green lane, all completed, then Blue lane, which I was expecting but it was all completed. But suddenly overnight I have orange exclamation marks telling me we all need to order medallion wearables to complete check in? 🤷‍♀️

I thought you had ordered them, even though you were you were picking them up at the port?  For each person on your booking.

You can do that on the App, just click pick up at the port.

That completes the checkin.

Edited by PacnGoNow

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I thought you had ordered them, even though you were you were picking them up at the port?  For each person on your booking.

You can do that on the App, just click pick up at the port.

That completes the checkin.

Sorry I didn’t explain very well in my last post.. I’ve ordered all the medallions & lanyards and did that ages ago. It’s only since this morning it’s telling me I need to do this.

But, not only have they taken the money for the personalisations we added, when I click to go through to the ordering page it’s shows what I’ve ordered.

Can’t get rid of the exclamation marks though.

think I’ll try again tomorrow to see if website/app was just having a funny 5 & will right itself overnight.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Malleykatt said:

The food has been good but I never find food hot as in temperature. Had the steak and the land and sea( steak and lobster) steak cooked to my request but lobster disappointing. I love fish and that has been lovely...salmon, cod ,tuna.

Buffet had plenty of choice but keeping food hot means we only went a couple of times.

Thank you for the reply. That’s great news about the fish. Fish, including shellfish are definitely my favourite dishes. Hopfully I’ll have better experience with the lobster- that sounds frustrating for you  

I’m really looking forward to The Catch too. Booked that once for our cruise. And crown grill has been booked too- they both were booked weeks ago thankfully

11 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Sorry I didn’t explain very well in my last post.. I’ve ordered all the medallions & lanyards and did that ages ago. It’s only since this morning it’s telling me I need to do this.

But, not only have they taken the money for the personalisations we added, when I click to go through to the ordering page it’s shows what I’ve ordered.

Can’t get rid of the exclamation marks though.

think I’ll try again tomorrow to see if website/app was just having a funny 5 & will right itself overnight.

Yes, probably another IT issue.  At this point, I wouldn’t worry about anything, just show up and they will get you going.  

When I get the Green lane on the App, I just do a screenshot and show them.  Sometimes, it goes back to green the day before.

Let us know if yours ever turns back.  Could be interesting.🥴

27 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, probably another IT issue.  At this point, I wouldn’t worry about anything, just show up and they will get you going.  

When I get the Green lane on the App, I just do a screenshot and show them.  Sometimes, it goes back to green the day before.

Let us know if yours ever turns back.  Could be interesting.🥴

thanks, i’ll let you know!

incidentally my cruise is the first on Sky Princess under the new packages.

We’re going to have a great time regardless. I just can’t wait to see Norway and that scenery for the first time. but it’s certainly going to be interesting how all this plays out!

• Like 1

We’re going to have a great time regardless. I just can’t wait to see Norway and that scenery for the first time. but it’s certainly going to be interesting how all this plays out!

Ours went to blue from green. We had the exclamation marks and not allowed to change anything. I presume it’s because of all the new systems being implemented and we can’t have the medallions mailed, so it throws a wobbly.

You’ll love Norway whatever happens on our cruise.  I always think that Alaska is for the wildlife, New Zealand is panoramic and Norway is tactile; it’s as though you could reach out and touch those waterfalls and mountains when in the fjords.

I was just thinking all this crazy responses could be because they said yesterday on the webinar, for the agencies to bear with them because they were changing vendors. So, not sure which vendors, but sounded like it had to do with polar. So, it may straighten out soon, I hope.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I was just thinking all this crazy responses could be because they said yesterday on the webinar, for the agencies to bear with them because they were changing vendors. So, not sure which vendors, but sounded like it had to do with polar. So, it may straighten out soon, I hope.

I should look for webinar replay.  Missed it and not sure what sugary treats were being discussed this week.