East Coast Liquor Taxes in Port

gmbhardy

Looking forward to our first East Coast New England/Canada cruise in three weeks. Just wondering if there are liquor taxes payable in any of the ports. The itinerary is as follows: New York, Boston, Portland, Sydney, Charlottetown, Corner Brook, Halifax and Quebec City.

In Boston there will be.  Not sure about the others.  In 2022 it was .70 a drink and I was drinking Mai Tai's and most likely either Captain Morgan and ginger or CC and ginger.  

You are only talking less then a dollar per drink.  Unless you plan on buying a lot of drinks in port you really won't even notice it unless your plan is to try and owe nothing on your onboard account 🙂

3 hours ago, jimsig said:

In Boston there will be.  Not sure about the others.  In 2022 it was .70 a drink and I was drinking Mai Tai's and most likely either Captain Morgan and ginger or CC and ginger.  

You are only talking less then a dollar per drink.  Unless you plan on buying a lot of drinks in port you really won't even notice it unless your plan is to try and owe nothing on your onboard account 🙂

I did owe nothing lol.  We ordered 1 drink in port (LA) and there was a notice at the bar about the local tax while in port. I guess if your onboard account is less than a certain amount they dont bill you.  How many drinks can you have while in port pre-cruise?  Oooooh, unless the OP was referring to drinks while the ship was docked at others ports which could be hours. Got it.    I'm kind of proud I didnt spend anything on board and yet had a wonderful time. CAS covered gratuities and we did prepay fees etc with our fare.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, gmbhardy said:

Just wondering if there are liquor taxes payable in any of the ports. The itinerary is as follows: New York, Boston, Portland, Sydney, Charlottetown, Corner Brook, Halifax and Quebec City.

Yes taxes are due in some ports and not others.