Paris Shore Excursion- Viking

PCruzer

We are booked on the Viking Alsvin Christmas Markets on the Rhine & Moselle for November 2023.  The trip begins with a hotel stay in Paris, and we have opted for the pre-tour in Paris to have a few more days there.  One of the extra cost shore excursions on the pre-tour is a nighttime Seine River cruise.  Has anybody done this excursion?  A Rep from Viking told us that this excursion is only for the 20 people on the Viking Paris pre-tour…that we have the entire boat!  This doesn’t sound right to me.  If anyone has done this excursion with Viking, could you let me know if this is the case.  Will the pre-tour participants be the only passengers on the Seine boat?  Thanks!

Are there other perks included in the Viking Seine River night excursion aside from the limited # aboard? You can DIY with several companies:

Cruise on the Seine in Paris | Boat tour, lunch or dinner | Bateaux Mouches® (bateaux-mouches.fr)

Bateaux Parisiens - Online exclusive price

Vedettes du Pont Neuf: Paris Seine Cruise since 1959

Nightime is ideal for a river cruise on the Seine! Friends are doing a champagne and macaroon cruise with this company:

Canauxrama: Cruises Canal Saint Martin and Seine in Paris

17 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Are there other perks included in the Viking Seine River night excursion aside from the limited # aboard? You can DIY with several companies:

Cruise on the Seine in Paris | Boat tour, lunch or dinner | Bateaux Mouches® (bateaux-mouches.fr)

Bateaux Parisiens - Online exclusive price

Vedettes du Pont Neuf: Paris Seine Cruise since 1959

Nightime is ideal for a river cruise on the Seine! Friends are doing a champagne and macaroon cruise with this company:

Canauxrama: Cruises Canal Saint Martin and Seine in Paris

Just transportation from the hotel and back.  No other perks I am aware of.  I’m not even sure about the limited # of people, as that just did sound right to me.

8 hours ago, PCruzer said:

We are booked on the Viking Alsvin Christmas Markets on the Rhine & Moselle for November 2023.  The trip begins with a hotel stay in Paris, and we have opted for the pre-tour in Paris to have a few more days there.  One of the extra cost shore excursions on the pre-tour is a nighttime Seine River cruise.  Has anybody done this excursion?  A Rep from Viking told us that this excursion is only for the 20 people on the Viking Paris pre-tour…that we have the entire boat!  This doesn’t sound right to me.  If anyone has done this excursion with Viking, could you let me know if this is the case.  Will the pre-tour participants be the only passengers on the Seine boat?  Thanks!

We lived two blocks from the Seine for several years and can tell you that Paris is spectacular by night from the river and that it would be lovely to be on a smaller, quieter boat to see it.  There are certainly such trips available so Viking could arrange it that way.  Someone else will have to assure you that this is the case, though.

14 hours ago, PCruzer said:

One of the extra cost shore excursions on the pre-tour is a nighttime Seine River cruise.  Has anybody done this excursion?  A Rep from Viking told us that this excursion is only for the 20 people on the Viking Paris pre-tour…that we have the entire boat!

According to Vikings website

"You might like to take a Seine cruise on board a bâteau-mouche this evening to see some of the city’s landmarks and lovely bridges lining the riverbank."

It's possible to book a private bateau-mouche, according to their website -  www.bâteau-mouches.fr - but what sort of cruise are you getting? Just a cruise or a dinner cruise? And booking a boat for just 20 people sounds expensive, but Viking probably get a huge discount.

As one can easily book these tours one self, using the bâteau-mouches web site, I'd compare what's on offer and prices.

I took Mrs P on a surprise trip to Paris, we had dinner on a bateau-mouche while it cruised through Paris and it was a highlight still fondly remembered.

• Like 1

I would definitely research a DIY for this. That will allow you to decide whether the value added by doing Viking is worthwhile. Transport in Paris isn’t difficult or expensive. 
Also, you’ll be prepared for “we won’t be doing this excursion, not enough people signed up.”

Pontac you smoothie you. 

We did a dinner cruise courtesy of Scenic because on its first Seine cruise the Gem wasn’t completely ready. I must admit it was quite good but that was back in 2014 I expect it’s improved by now. Wouldn’t mind doing it again.

To me, it would depend a lot on the amount Viking is charging for this and whether you can get assurance that it will only be those 20 Viking customers on the Seine cruise.  I've heard Viking is pretty pricey for some of their optional excursions.  As someone else asked:  Does this include a nice dinner?  It's easy to check the various Paris Seine cruises online for their cruises and prices.  We've been to Paris five times and have always done everything on our own.  The transportation system is simple to use.  Research your options and enjoy your trip.

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

but I’ve never heard of Viking excursions being extra pricey

We don't know what the excursion includes or how much it costs which is why I and others have suggested that the OP compares offerings and prices.

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Pontac will have a fit here as I’m supporting Viking

I have a fit when you criticise Viking without ever having tried them. I, on the other hand, have taken a Scenic cruise that you highly rate and I was disappointed. I didn't think it was as luxurious as Viking.

But people have different views of  luxury. 

Edited by pontac

I’m pretty sure I’ve never actually criticised Viking as to their on board capability’s as I have never cruised with them. In fact because of how they treated my best friend when her husband was taken I’ll on board I’ve been supportive of them and have questioned some critics. You are correct there are very different levels of luxury mine are exceedingly high.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

there are very different levels of luxury mine are exceedingly high.

Me too. I'm off tomorrow on my 12th Viking cruise. Scenic had their chance, but I want real luxury.