MSC Seaside 8-6-32 to 8-13-23...Slightly more critical than before...Long Review!

Georgia_Peaches

On 8/13/2023 at 7:51 AM, perakcruiser said:

Costa Maya, the port where you either booked an excursion or prefer to stay in your inside cabin the whole day

not true for everyone. We always go to Mahahual (Blue Kay beach club, not AI) and enjoy a super relaxing beach day. So, no excursion, and definitely not staying in an inside room on the ship all day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not true for everyone. We always go to Mahahual (Blue Kay beach club, not AI) and enjoy a super relaxing beach day. So, no excursion, and definitely not staying in an inside room on the ship all day.

This is certainly something we would have considered had we not just come off two beach days at Ocean Cay.  One time we were going to rent e-bikes and bike into the actual town of CM but our port stop was canceled due to weather back in 2019.  I haven't seen that excursion listed since the restart.

I really call into question the wisdom of the port logistics team (whoever that may be) for having 4 mega ships in port at one time...Have stopped in Costa Maya many times and that was a first!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I really call into question the wisdom of the port logistics team (whoever that may be) for having 4 mega ships in port at one time...

I am with you on that one. 🙂

Other than that, Costa Maya does have lovely beaches, and we'll never ever skip a beach day.

• Like 1

@Georgia_Peaches  Thanks for this review.  

Wanted to ask your opinion of the much-discussed "interlopers" in YC issue.  It has been pointed out many times (and sometimes with corroborating photos!) of how entry doors are held opened for people to get in.  Others have mentioned seeing people sneaking into YC and using the buffet and even trying to eat in the dining room. 

Did you see any/much of this going on?  If so, was the Staff trying to take care of the issue?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I highly recommend Hayhu Beach Club in Mahahual...it's an eco-friendly place run by a Peruvian couple. Food is amazing! Quiet, off the beaten path. We reserved one of the 2 balconies that comes with a $300 food credit and couldn't use it all despite our team's best efforts!! A hidden gem!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Robkat said:

@Georgia_Peaches  Thanks for this review.  

Wanted to ask your opinion of the much-discussed "interlopers" in YC issue.  It has been pointed out many times (and sometimes with corroborating photos!) of how entry doors are held opened for people to get in.  Others have mentioned seeing people sneaking into YC and using the buffet and even trying to eat in the dining room. 

Did you see any/much of this going on?  If so, was the Staff trying to take care of the issue?

We spent a good bit of time on the upper deck and the door leading over into the Aurea area was always closed.  We used the door to enter that area several times as well and never found it ajar.  There were no interlopers in the TSL but DH witnessed a scene at the concierge desk that involved a group of 17 +/- year olds who came in through the main door...presumably when someone exited. They were immediately stopped and questioned.  The group spokesperson said they were "looking for a friend" but the were promptly asked to leave the area.  Also of note, the YC doors on deck 18 and the side doors off the hallways on deck 16 were not operational...meaning you could not use your key card or wristband to open these doors from the outside.  You could leave through these doors but not re-enter. The only way into the YC on our sailing was via deck 16 through the concierge lobby. I didn't question it but I assumed that this was done to cut down on unauthorized entries.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psmarkle said:

I highly recommend Hayhu Beach Club in Mahahual...it's an eco-friendly place run by a Peruvian couple. Food is amazing! Quiet, off the beaten path. We reserved one of the 2 balconies that comes with a $300 food credit and couldn't use it all despite our team's best efforts!! A hidden gem!

Thanks!

We are more of a $50 or less people if we can help it. 🙂 And we eat on the ship. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We spent a good bit of time on the upper deck and the door leading over into the Aurea area was always closed.  We used the door to enter that area several times as well and never found it ajar.  There were no interlopers in the TSL but DH witnessed a scene at the concierge desk that involved a group of 17 +/- year olds who came in through the main door...presumably when someone exited. They were immediately stopped and questioned.  The group spokesperson said they were "looking for a friend" but the were promptly asked to leave the area.  Also of note, the YC doors on deck 18 and the side doors off the hallways on deck 16 were not operational...meaning you could not use your key card or wristband to open these doors from the outside.  You could leave through these doors but not re-enter. The only way into the YC on our sailing was via deck 16 through the concierge lobby. I didn't question it but I assumed that this was done to cut down on unauthorized entries.

Thanks for getting back with a detailed answer.

It sounds like there are attempts being made to curb this problem.  That's really good to hear.

On 8/15/2023 at 1:24 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I recommend taking a 10 minute taxi ($4 per person each way) to Nohoch Kay. There's a restaurant and beach. There's an AI rate of $50/pp ($25 for kids) that includes open bar and use of their water equipment. Or you can order a la carte and still use the nice beach with white sand and warm, shallow water. Sodas were ice cold and $2, their excellent guacamole was $6. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 7:51 AM, perakcruiser said:

Costa Maya, the port where you either booked an excursion or prefer to stay in your inside cabin the whole day. And I am talking not about a YC inside 😄

It was so horrible already with two smaller ships (one was the Armonia), I cannot imagine that place with four big ships.

Our goto in Costa Maya is Maya Chan. Only about 60 people. It's an "E" ticket cab ride but that is part of the fun !

It's either that or stay on the ship. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, PAJunkie said:

If you find yourself in Costa Maya again, I recommend going to Mahahual (5 min taxi ride) and reserving a lounge at the Tropicante. 

Tropicante is long gone. Steve packed up and went back to Texas. I thought his manager was going to keep it open but last time we were there it was gone. Sad as it was our favorite place to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 1:24 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Agree, get to the real town..much better. 

• Like 1