Lunch in the MDR

RetiredandTravel

I've looked at multiple itineraries comparing SS, SB & Regent over the last year.  My observation has been that Regent is quite consistently the highest and SS & SB are close in price.  We make our own airfare accommodations so we take the air credit for SS & Regent.  Our preference is to also take excursions at most ports so I add $400-500/ port day for SB.  If someone doesn't take the additional excursions or explores on their own SB is definitely cheaper.   There are anomalies in some cases where one company will be lowest.   Quite often Regent has itineraries that we prefer.  SS & Regent appear to have much better lunch options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Of course if in a port with interesting restaurants will have lunch there.  The point of traveling to some place, try the local cuisine. 

We frequently do so in non tender ports.  When tendering is required we typically stay onboard for medical reasons.  Believe me, you’d groan and complain off you saw me attempting to join your tender, I do you a great favor by staying aboard out of your way.  

Oceania has, in my opinion found a better solution with highly varied cooked to order lunch items offered in their buffet venue.  Though they don’t bill themselves as a luxury line, their solution to this particular problem is far more luxurious.

• Like 1

We also enjoy having lunch in a port when it works out that we can do that--and find an appealing restaurant.  The lunch we had in Tromso this last June was memorable as well as a buffet (!!!) lunch we had another day  in the Lofoten Islands.  Yes, I will sometimes do a buffet and don't complain when it is in a charming Norwegian restaurant and features fresh salmon and other great dishes.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I've looked at multiple itineraries comparing SS, SB & Regent over the last year.  My observation has been that Regent is quite consistently the highest and SS & SB are close in price.  We make our own airfare accommodations so we take the air credit for SS & Regent.  Our preference is to also take excursions at most ports so I add $400-500/ port day for SB.  If someone doesn't take the additional excursions or explores on their own SB is definitely cheaper.   There are anomalies in some cases where one company will be lowest.   Quite often Regent has itineraries that we prefer.  SS & Regent appear to have much better lunch options.

You are so right to point out the adding an excursion on Seabourn significantly increases the daily cost.  At the same time, we can choose to do an excursion--or not--and don't have to pay for basic excursions we would have not have chosen.  I notice that Silversea has special excursions (extra cost) but does not prorate them based on the fact that you have already paid for an included excursion.  

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

You are so right to point out the adding an excursion on Seabourn significantly increases the daily cost.  At the same time, we can choose to do an excursion--or not--and don't have to pay for basic excursions we would have not have chosen.  I notice that Silversea has special excursions (extra cost) but does not prorate them based on the fact that you have already paid for an included excursion.  

That's unfortunate.  I'm under the impression that Regent also has more "included" excursions vs SS but haven't done a deep analysis.  Hopefully SS is just newer to included excursions and will up their game.  SS has introduced SALT excursions in conjunction with The SALT restaurant and bar concept which serves local cuisine.   The SALT excursions are culinary based with things like cooking classes and food shopping with a top local chefs often with a lunch or dinner.  We like the concept but they are IMO pricey at this point.  I think SB has an advantage with excursions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

That's unfortunate.  I'm under the impression that Regent also has more "included" excursions vs SS but haven't done a deep analysis.  Hopefully SS is just newer to included excursions and will up their game.  SS has introduced SALT excursions in conjunction with The SALT restaurant and bar concept which serves local cuisine.   The SALT excursions are culinary based with things like cooking classes and food shopping with a top local chefs often with a lunch or dinner.  We like the concept but they are IMO pricey at this point.  I think SB has an advantage with excursions. 

I would love the SALT excursions as well, but if they were not included you would be paying for them on top of the included excursions.  If Silversea would give credit for the included excursions you have already paid for--I could get onboard for that.  

Edited by SLSD

As a rule we rarely do ship tours, that said we did 5 on the Regent cruise and 1) not at all crowded, 2) not a bus ride to somewhere - with the exception of the pre-tea at Reids in Funchal but to a part of the island we had never been to before in 7 or so stops and 3) usually depending on port from 6-12 options plus small groups for an upcharge.  We decline the airfare although can attempt to negotiate your preferred itinerary and airline.  

If it comes to price as the deciding factor then Seabourn almost always will win vs. Regent or SS.  And so unless Seabourn is convinced to always have the MDR open for all meals on every cruise it will have to be accepted that you are getting what you are paying for, even if not our expectations for the Seabourn experience that is being sold.

Other options like Scenic and Atlas have offered great deals - why we have 2 Scenic sailings this year - can be appealing depending on itineraries.  Unfortunately Seabourn does not offer anything truly unique.  Glad to see the Northwest passage but other ships are also doing it.  In 11 days we will be joining a cruise no other passenger ship can offer, paying a premium for a unique experience.  Seabourn Caribbean / Mediterranean etc. cruises are similar to every other line.  Lots of competition in Artic and Antarctica for all the expedition ships.  How about a circumnavigation of Australia for a unique itinerary?  

We have not sailed with Atlas so can't comment. Scenic does include some tours in selected ports in the fare.

• Like 1

Personally I think each line has positives and negatives so tend to pick based on itinerary or cost rather than loyalty to a brand. I would be interested to know whether flights are included with SB for US guests and how things are priced in the US in comparison to the UK as I have only ever seen the US pricing for Regent which seems very convoluted but does include business class air for US guests.

We have 2 cruises booked this year a Norwegian cruise on Ovation which we have just completed and a Japan to Bangkok on R's Explorer later in the year - both 14 nights. 
The Seabourn cruise has worked out £800 (each) more expensive (no flights and no excursions).

Seabourn are offering included flights on some itineraries but for us, we would have had to fly from Manchester to either London or Amsterdam and change for Copenhagen (look how that turned out for @Mauzac 😱). We asked about using EasyJet direct to Copenhagen and we would have had to pay £400 more each so we took the flight credit and booked EasyJet ourselves for just over the £400 -quicker, far more convenient, a much reduced risk of luggage not turning up and after taxi transfers £200 better off 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

The Seabourn cruise has worked out £800 (each) more expensive (no flights and no excursions).

For Australians we don't get included airfares with Regent and I prefer not to do ship excursions. However I am willing to try them next year because our TA is a top Regent sales person here and has got us some bonuses and I am intrigued by their new ships. If they work for us I would like to try a transatlantic on them. 

The reassurance from 2SN who we know re excursions is helpful.

We are looking at other cruise lines for different itineraries & experiences but still enjoy Seabourn.

• Like 4