Livorno, Italty port

dkcop

I'm going on a cruise to Mediterranean. Livorno is one of the ports. Does Princess or the city have a free shuttle bus to take you into city or can you walk? I'm catching a tour bus to go to Florence at 9:45 am & we dock that morning at 07.

37 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

You might also want to have a look at "whats in port" dot com.  Seems to be a huge amount of detailed information about nearly every port in the world.

Livorno is one Mediterranean port which has very little to offer.  It is usually referred to as a stop at Florence - which involves a fair amount of time on a train or bus.  Some folks go from Livorno to Pisa - not that great, but it gives you as much time as you need to see Pisa.   I prefer taking the train to Luca (a lovely old walled city) much closer than Florence, and smaller, so you have a chance to see much of it.  Florence has so much to offer that the few hours available on a Livorno port call hardly justify the train time — it really should be given several days on land travel —- but if your only chance to see any of it is while on a Livorno port call, go for it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malleykatt said:

This is from our Sky Princess cruise.16920330142985144891670026853617.thumb.jpg.7b9218b54506d4ffbcabb6923369531d.jpg

THANK YOU!  These kinds of details are so important  for us beancounters to know beforehand.  We're on NCL Epic in October, and this gives me an overview of the situation.  

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

THANK YOU!  These kinds of details are so important  for us beancounters to know beforehand.  We're on NCL Epic in October, and this gives me an overview of the situation.  

If you are still thinking about what to do, consider taking the train from Livorno to Lucca (or even renting a car or hiring a taxi) a closer, compact completely walled medieval city small enough to experience well in the time available.   Going to Florence eats up so much time both ways that you will feel frustrated at being shown just how much there is to see with so little time to do it (maybe three to four hours).  There are very long lines for the Academy (for Michaelangelo’s David) and the Uffizi gallery (for my favorite: Botticelli’s Birth of Venus) together with the trip from and back to Livorno, that you are likely to feel cheated.   If you ever plan a land trip to Italy, save Florence for that, and use your Livorno port call for a practical trip to Lucca - or even to see the leaning tower at Pisa (which has little else to offer).

Edited by navybankerteacher