internet and kindle downloads

vampiress

considering getting the internet package, and i wondered if the kindle paperwhites, mine is a current model purchased last year, can connect to the internet.  i've had trouble sometimes travelling and connecting to hotel wifi when i wanted to dl sometime i forgot to add.  in my last case, it was a knitting pattern. i thought i had it downloaded but i guess i missed that pattern.

i'm not considering the internet solely for kindle ,just wondering if it would work or not.

i was also wondering if there were benefits to buying before boarding or just wait until on ship to buy.

cruising out of Seattle on royal to alaska, if where makes a difference. 

6 minutes ago, vampiress said:

considering getting the internet package, and i wondered if the kindle paperwhites, mine is a current model purchased last year, can connect to the internet.  i've had trouble sometimes travelling and connecting to hotel wifi when i wanted to dl sometime i forgot to add.  in my last case, it was a knitting pattern. i thought i had it downloaded but i guess i missed that pattern.

i'm not considering the internet solely for kindle ,just wondering if it would work or not.

i was also wondering if there were benefits to buying before boarding or just wait until on ship to buy.

cruising out of Seattle on royal to alaska, if where makes a difference. 

I make sure I have loaded up all my books before I leave home. Usually about 10 books

• Like 1

I could not download anything on my Kindle on the ship.  If you can find wifi in port you should be able to do it there.  If you do a Google search you'll see many posts from people unable to do so.

Easiest just to download them all before you go.

• Like 2

I know it likely doesn’t help those that only have or prefer the contrast of a kindle for reading books but, I did want to mention that you can download the kindle app for iPads or tablets for reading your books (I use it ever night for reading on my iPad). 

I don’t know if it’s the same or not for tablets but, apple doesn’t play nice with Amazon so when I need to purchase a new book to read on iPad I need to buy it on on a web browser (or Amazon app I think) on the iPad and then send it to the kindle app on the iPad (I can’t purchase a new book using just the kindle app). Kind of stupid in my opinion but it’s simple workaround and only takes a minute.

I do think you also need the medallion app or a web browser to log on the ships WiFi while on the ship which is maybe why you can’t log in with a kindle (more IT experienced CC members can confirm or deny my experience 🙂 )

Cheers

• Like 1

thanks for confirming. i will dl before i leave. and use my phone if i need something not on kindle.  i just got spoiled with the kindle that reading on my phone is so annoying now.

also good call on waiting and using obc. i didn't think of that

• Like 1

Haven't ever been able to download books on any cruise line on Kindle.  The one time we succeeded we downloaded to laptop, but then had to read on the laptop.

We have an old Kindle Keyboard, which is great for reading - large screen and great contrast.  DW has a newer touch and she likes it as well.  My Fire can be used for reading but color screen doesn't have near the contrast and I need to use reading glasses if I use that.  And the Fire doesn't work with various slot games onboard either - latency of satellite connection messes this up even though connection works.  Similar problem with many account websites.

In the past I've found the problem to be that some wifi connections found in hotels and cruise ships require that after you connect to the wifi you need to use a web browser to complete the authorization process.  The kindle has a rudimentary web browser and it can be used to complete the authorization process, but many people aren't aware it exists or that it must be used.  

• Thanks 1