Holland American name vs passport name

gregma60

When I went into my navigator app to take a picture for my alaska cruise out of Vancouver, BC next week, I noticed a discrepency between the two names.  In Holland America it shows Greg middle last and my passport is Gregory middle last.  Is this something I need to worry about?  Should I call HA to get them to change it?

-gregma

From my past experience and understanding, the name on the boarding pass has to match the passport name/government ID like at the airport. 

I would reach out to HAL for confirmation and peace of mind.

Thank you and happy cruising!

• Like 4

Also be sure to check flights if you use Flight Ease. The HAL system cannot display my full name (cuts off the last letter) and if their agents don't look at the notes in the system they will book flights without the last letter. This is currently causing major issues for a couple of my flights - someone at HAL saw the names didn't match on FE booking vs HAL system (the one missing last letter) so flights were canceled. I called to find out why they had disappeared from my AA bookings and learned what happened. Hours of calls with FE & FE still not resolved. FE adds them back, some how they get canceled again and we go through the process again. Meanwhile, prices directly with AA have gone up...

So just be sure if you have your name corrected anywhere, you check everywhere.

• Like 1

We found with FlightEase, they combine our first and middle name as our first name.  It matches the passport so we have never had a problem that way, (with many years flying on tickets booked via FE) but this time, the airline did not have our Known Traveler Number or Mileage Plan number attached. A quick call to the airline remedied the situation. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

We found with FlightEase, they combine our first and middle name as our first name.  It matches the passport so we have never had a problem that way, (with many years flying on tickets booked via FE) but this time, the airline did not have our Known Traveler Number or Mileage Plan number attached. A quick call to the airline remedied the situation. 

Some airlines combine first and middle that way, too. I think the first time I saw it was Virgin, and I called in a panic to get my reservation fixed. I was assured that it would be okay that way, and it was.

Just a little heads-up to avoid any issues and to keep things simple:

both the cruise lines AND ANY Airline do NOT require any Middle name. Just your FIRST and FAMILY name ( Surname) is needed for a valid ticket.

However, the  names that you give the cruiseline/ airline must be identical to the names in the Passport. 

so recap: Middle names are optional and not necessary. 

4 hours ago, Despegue said:

both the cruise lines AND ANY Airline do NOT require any Middle name. Just your FIRST and FAMILY name ( Surname) is needed for a valid ticket.

However, the  names that you give the cruiseline/ airline must be identical to the names in the Passport. 

Aligned. The issue I am having is the last letter of my first name is not displayed on the screen and booking, so it technically doesn't match my passport. Never had an issue, but very recently HAL & FE are canceling my flights due to names not matching.

So just a heads-up to anyone that notices their names change and can no longer see their flights.

50 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Aligned. The issue I am having is the last letter of my first name is not displayed on the screen and booking, so it technically doesn't match my passport. Never had an issue, but very recently HAL & FE are canceling my flights due to names not matching.

So just a heads-up to anyone that notices their names change and can no longer see their flights.

Don’t you hate it when “computer says no” things happen! It literally makes my head go grey and bald 😉 

9 hours ago, Despegue said:

You are saying that even if your Passport has your middle name, the tickets do not need to include that middle name.  Only the first and last need to match?

-gregma

HAL had an error on my middle name on a boarding pass for a recent Alaskan Cruise.    I had notified the TA about the error in the booking previously and they said it was taken care of.   My Mariner account is correct.   The HAL rep at check in noticed names did not match and took care of the issue.   

Once on board, the same error showed up on the room key card.   I took it to the Neptune lounge, and they double checked everything and printed a new room card. 

• Thanks 1

Due to marriage overseas, divorce, and residence in Louisiana, my passport, DL, various credit cards, and SS# were all under differing middle initials/names.  Three years ago I was almost denied boarding a flight because my DL and credit card did not match.  Fortunately, I had my military ID, which did match my credit card.  I embarked on an 18 month quest to align all of my IDs with my passport and military ID.  Not fun, but worth it to avoid hassles in the future.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:08 PM, gregma60 said:

You are saying that even if your Passport has your middle name, the tickets do not need to include that middle name.  Only the first and last need to match?

-gregma

I called Air Canada in a bit of a panic as I had remembered to use my middle name when booking the tickets, but had forgotten to include my partner's (both our passports are first middle last). The rep told me it wasn't an issue at all, and we had no problems in either Boston or Montreal with it.

Interestingly, our digital boarding passes for this weekend are first and last, but the available hard copy are first middle last. I'll probably print them out just in case.