Pre Madrid Extension

SoDakPirate

On the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, Viking offers a pre Madrid extension that transfers you by train to Barcelona where the cruise begins. Does Viking porter rolling suitcases and stow them on the train or is each passenger responsible for carrying their luggage through the large train station and putting it on the train car near their seat?

36 minutes ago, SoDakPirate said:

On the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, Viking offers a pre Madrid extension that transfers you by train to Barcelona where the cruise begins. Does Viking porter rolling suitcases and stow them on the train or is each passenger responsible for carrying their luggage through the large train station and putting it on the train car near their seat?

We have not taken this particular excursion but have done two others with Viking that required a train connection. Luggage was checked onto the train and you were only responsible for your carryon.

BTW we took a variant of Trade Routes that sailed to Copenhagen instead of Bergen. It’s a wonderful cruise. So many different ports and countries. We really enjoyed it. Tip: the included Portsmouth tour can drop you right at the entrance to the historical attractions. The Mary Rose Museum is a must see. Afterward you have plenty of time to visit Nelson’s flagship Victory.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

BTW we took a variant of Trade Routes that sailed to Copenhagen instead of Bergen. It’s a wonderful cruise. So many different ports and countries. We really enjoyed it. Tip: the included Portsmouth tour can drop you right at the entrance to the historical attractions. The Mary Rose Museum is a must see. Afterward you have plenty of time to visit Nelson’s flagship Victory.

Joe - it WAS indeed one of the better cruises, wasn't it!

Remember Tarragona, what a fun city to walk around!

We liked it so much that we are doing the Trade Routes next May, '24, finishing in Bergen.  Lots of things we wished we'd done but didn't get to.  This time Viking is doing Honfleur, as Le Havre is eliminating or reducing cruise ships, like so many other ports.  And we do need to do the Mary Rose in Portsmouth.

38 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Joe - it WAS indeed one of the better cruises, wasn't it!

Remember Tarragona, what a fun city to walk around!

We liked it so much that we are doing the Trade Routes next May, '24, finishing in Bergen.  Lots of things we wished we'd done but didn't get to.  This time Viking is doing Honfleur, as Le Havre is eliminating or reducing cruise ships, like so many other ports.  And we do need to do the Mary Rose in Portsmouth.

Kent - If you missed it last time, take the CARTAGENA FOUNDATIONS WALKING TOUR. Our tour guide was the person who actually discovered the Roman arena as a young college student. His dream was to make the city a major tourist stop for visiting ancient archeology. The tour also included the Carthaginian ruins and well as entering buried Roman houses.. A fascinating tour and tour guide.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Kent - If you missed it last time, take the CARTAGENA FOUNDATIONS WALKING TOUR. Our tour guide was the person who actually discovered the Roman arena as a young college student. His dream was to make the city a major tourist stop for visiting ancient archeology. The tour also included the Carthaginian ruins and well as entering buried Roman houses.. A fascinating tour and tour guide.

Thanks! Will do!

When we did Barcelona to Athens in 2021 We did the Madrid extension and they picked us up and loaded our luggage on the bus, train and hotel. Great fun train ride on the high speed rail.

If you stay at the same hotel we did, cannot recall the name, the Museo Sorolla is a easy 5 minute walk. The day we went it was free admission. A very beautiful artist home museum.

We are planning a trip back to Madrid next spring along with the Basque country. Cannot wait.

5 hours ago, SoDakPirate said:

Actually, your luggage is driven to Barcelona and winds up in your stateroom. We did this extension in 2019 and recommend it. The included tour of the Prado was excellent - very knowledgeable guide.

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Trade Routes was one of our favorite cruises too. I hadn't heard about the change to Honfleur port. We took an excursion to go there so that would be really convenient. Admiral Nelson's HMS Victory was really interesting to me; what a shock to compare the way those sailors traveled with sailing on a Viking ship!

Bruges was a highlight on that cruise for us, and would like to have spent more time in Porto. Am I talking myself into a repeat cruise also?

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I think we had the same tour guide on the included excursion, and he was really excellent. Did he show you the one special piece in the museum that he in particular uncovered?

45574106071_60365573cb_k.jpg

On 8/15/2023 at 4:38 PM, hersheyhughes said:

If you stay at the same hotel we did, cannot recall the name, the Museo Sorolla is a easy 5 minute walk. The day we went it was free admission. A very beautiful artist home museum.

My issue with the Madrid extension is that it just isn't enough time to see very much (much less sneak in a day trip to Toledo or Segovia). If you can manage your luggage and are comfortable doing things on your own, I suggest 3-4 full days of touring in Madrid and then fly or train to Barcelona. You might even be able to get flights through Viking Air to do a "stop-over" (added fee).

@hersheyhughes, did I tell you about Museo Sorolla? I tell everybody about it. Fifty years and I don't know know how many more art museums later, it remains my favorite small museum (and the Prado my favorite large museum). When we were in Malaga with Viking in 2019, we stumbled into a Sorolla exhibit -- we turned left instead of going straight, saw the sign and went in. I think that even if we had been with a tour, we would have told the guide adios, we'll get ourselves back to the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

My issue with the Madrid extension is that it just isn't enough time to see very much (much less sneak in a day trip to Toledo or Segovia). If you can manage your luggage and are comfortable doing things on your own, I suggest 3-4 full days of touring in Madrid and then fly or train to Barcelona. You might even be able to get flights through Viking Air to do a "stop-over" (added fee).

@hersheyhughes, did I tell you about Museo Sorolla? I tell everybody about it. Fifty years and I don't know know how many more art museums later, it remains my favorite small museum (and the Prado my favorite large museum). When we were in Malaga with Viking in 2019, we stumbled into a Sorolla exhibit -- we turned left instead of going straight, saw the sign and went in. I think that even if we had been with a tour, we would have told the guide adios, we'll get ourselves back to the ship.

We have been to Madrid twice and Barcelona 3-4 times. This is just a short extension to get us to Spain ahead of sailing date.  We have several connections to get to Europe and lots of opportunities for delays and cancellations.  Will definitely get to Museo Sorolla.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

You are absolutely right 2 days are just not enough time to see Madrid.

And Micro So rolls is one of my all time favorite museums. The tile work alone is worth a visit. 

We did this extension and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Sure not enough time but in a strange city, it is nice to have somebody help with the luggage, reserve trains etc. and we may go back on our own some day to see more and would feel much more confident having spent time with Viking the first time.  We had a different museum guide, a very helpful lady.  The Viking rep. at the hotel, Intercontinental, was extremely helpful and guided us to some excellent restaurants in the vicinity.  Breakfast at the hotel was a feast.

• Like 2