Prima Iceland / Norway August 2023

PhillyTravelBug

Hey everyone! We just arrived in Reykjavik this

morning for our upcoming Prima sailing. I’m going to do my best to try and document this trip daily. This trip was booked about 800 days ago (the countdown has been agonizing).

There will be a total of 7 of us in our 40’s and 50’s.  I’ll be writing from the perspective of myself and my partner. We have a spa

balcony booked and chose the airfare through NCL from Philadelphia.  we also did the 2 day deviation at the front end of the trip and a 1 day deviation at the back end. I hope to make this an enjoyable read as I love reading other reviews while researching.

Arriving flight:

We had a 6:55 pm fight from Philadelphia to Boston on Jet Blue.  Flight had a brief delay of less than an hour and arrived in Boston with plenty of time to spare for our 11:35 connection.

We left Boston on time to Reykjavik on Iceland Air. First time using Iceland Air and absolutely loved the plane, the staff, etc.  We arrived about 20 min. early at 8:15 am.  It was just really difficult trying to catch some sleep.

Day 1 Reykjavik, Iceland

Customs was a breeze and we used Flybus for our route to Hotel Borg.  The connection was very smooth. Bus was packed, but a breeze. Our connecting bus arrived minutes after we were dropped off at the terminal.

We dropped our bags off at the Hotel Borg and explored. I had visions of the city being much busier and bigger from my research. Almost felt like a Quebec City vibe. Love it. So quaint.

We got breakfast at the Laudromat cafe and checked out the church and then decided to head back to wait for our room to be ready.  Took a much needed shower and brushed my damn teeth!y body needed both after travel and walking around.

On recommendation from some locals, we checked out the Perclan museum.  Pretty cool I for about the geology of Iceland. They had a really awesome man made ice cave. The observation lounge really gave gorgeous view of the area.  

Tomorrow we have an all day Golden Circle tour.

IMG_9827.jpeg

IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9812.jpeg

IMG_9814.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg

IMG_9816.jpeg

IMG_9832.jpeg

IMG_9836.jpeg

IMG_9849.jpeg

IMG_9851.jpeg

IMG_9848.jpeg

Edited by PhillyTravelBug
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting your thoughts and details!  We are on this same route Sept 7 and also doing the two day deviations on both ends.   Did you book the Flybus in advance?  Enjoy and can’t wait to follow along!

Thanks for this.  Friends and I were considering this cruise for next year.  CAS wouldn't even waive my single supplement because it's Prima, so it would have been $7K+ just to set foot on the ship (Balcony.)   Add on to that FAS+, gambling budget, etc. and it was more than I cared to spend.  I'll look at it again in 2025 or perhaps something on a different cruise line.

6 hours ago, skatie said:

Thanks for posting your thoughts and details!  We are on this same route Sept 7 and also doing the two day deviations on both ends.   Did you book the Flybus in advance?  Enjoy and can’t wait to follow along!

We did. It was very simple. The airport is extremely small and easy to navigate. The busses were right outside. They do have a counter area to purchase on the spot.

• Like 1

Day 2 - Golden Circle Tour

Our first stop on the golden circle tour is where the continental divide is along with the largest lake in Iceland. Absolutely stunning. We booked this through viator. Our guide is very Icelandic. 

I meant to add yesterday… I love how many electric vehicles and plug in hybrids there are in Reykjavik I just bought myself a plug in hybrid and love it.  On the negative, there is no temperature restriction on the sinks in public restrooms. I’ve scolded myself each time. I haven’t learned.

IMG_9877.jpeg

IMG_9873.jpeg

IMG_9876.jpeg

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9888.jpeg

IMG_9889.jpeg

IMG_9891.jpeg

IMG_9898.jpeg

Edited by PhillyTravelBug
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying your review and pictures. What is the name of the tour company for your Golden Circle Tour? Was it a large group coach bus or a small group minibus or van? We've booked this cruise for June, 2024 and are really looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, skatie said:

We are on this same route Sept 7 and also doing the two day deviations on both ends.  

You were able to get two day deviations on BOTH ends? Did you use NCL BOGO air? I swear I thought you could only do the front or back, but not both.

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

You were able to get two day deviations on BOTH ends? Did you use NCL BOGO air? I swear I thought you could only do the front or back, but not both.

Yes we used NCL BOGO and no issue getting 2 days on both ends.

25 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We did use the BOGO. We opted for two days in Iceland and one extra day in London.

• Like 1