Prima Iceland / Norway August 2023

PhillyTravelBug

Agreed that the buffet is far too small and congested.  Getting a seat isn’t the issue since they open up the restaurants across the way, but it takes forever to get your food. It was even mobbed at 6:30 this morning.

I will make it a point to try the Local soon.   We went to Los Lobos last night and it was fabulous.  I ate my weight in guac and chips and barely had room for my fajitas.  

We ended up doing zip lining yesterday which was pretty fun.  It isn’t an official excursion but they put a sign up at the end of the pier and the timing was right.  The two girls leading the zips, Ella and Steph, were really funny.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, golden6911 said:

Agreed that the buffet is far too small and congested.  Getting a seat isn’t the issue since they open up the restaurants across the way, but it takes forever to get your food. It was even mobbed at 6:30 this morning.

I will make it a point to try the Local soon.   We went to Los Lobos last night and it was fabulous.  I ate my weight in guac and chips and barely had room for my fajitas.  

We ended up doing zip lining yesterday which was pretty fun.  It isn’t an official excursion but they put a sign up at the end of the pier and the timing was right.  The two girls leading the zips, Ella and Steph, were really funny.  

We did not really discover the Local until our last night. They advertise it as comfort food, and the hot fudge sundae as a dessert was the ultimate comfort food! DW looked at me and said "you're not going to eat that whole thing." But of course I did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We stopped at the Myvtan baths for lunch and so glad we didn’t use the lagoon here. It looked rather disappointing. Now we are heading back to Akeuyri.  I’m ready for the thermal spa.  This was a very nice excursion and I would recommend it, but it doesn’t compare to the golden circle. We both agreed that our five days in Iceland did feel like enough time to get enough activities and exploration in for a feel of the country.  If I had more time, I definitely would have liked the south coast tour 

IMG_0221.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow, love the rainbow pics!  Thanks for the reminder to bring bug spray - I mean I'm used to lots of mosquitos, but just Ugh when they are all around you 😞.   We are doing the south shore tour in Reykjavik and also have this exact trip in Akureyri as well booked.  So I'm wondering if I cancel it and just go to Forest Lagoon instead!?   I wish NCL would tell us now if we have an extra day in Akureyri or sea day so I could maybe do both if we get extra time there.   When I was on the Prima in April, we used Indulge in the mornings to catch a quick grab and go breakfast instead of tackling the buffet or sitting down in Local.   Love the pics and commentary!  Enjoy

• Like 1

Okay… I’ve read about it before and haven’t experienced it until today… the gym above the thermal spa while you’re relaxing on your loungers is ridiculous. I swear it’s right below the free weights and thought one was going to go through the floor above onto me 😜. It’s pretty constant when everyone is on the ship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm loving your pics!  Hubby and I just returned from a 10-day self drive vacation in Iceland last month and the pics are bringing back happy memories.  We decided on a driving vacation so we could take our time and spend as long as we wanted at the attractions.

• Like 2

Sailing out of the fjord! It’s a cool experience that is similar to Alaska. The sun has been out all day for our first time in Iceland this week. No whale sightings. I got both sides of the ship from the glass walkway and then from our patio. Love the chairs they have for the patios. Sure beats bliss in this department. Do we briefly sail through the Arctic circle to leave Iceland? Sure looks like it on the map. If so, I want to be awake for that.

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

Edited by PhillyTravelBug
  • Like 5

Agreed on the bugs on the Jewels of the North tour.  The hubby and I were saying that when the bugs are bad, they should just charge $10 more and include the netting.  It was really dreadful and put a damper on an otherwise pretty cool tour.  They should have done the stops in reverse order, with Godafoss last since that was by far the best IMO.

• Like 1

So @PhillyTravelBug do you think with the bugs it was worth the five hour tour (we are doing South Coast tour three days before this one so will see lots of nature on that coast). Would our time be better spent in the town and Forest Lagoon?  Just wondering how much of a damper they put on the tour?  We are booked with Imagine Iceland and can get refund if we cancel early.  Thx

@skatie, our guide was saying the beginning of the season and end of the season being a lot of these bugs.I definitely would recommend bug spray and a hoodie. At least the bugs won’t be flying in your ears and hair. If you can, stop at the gift shop first and buy the netting they have for Dimmuborgir.  Both sights are worth seeing. Not as good as the Reykjavik area tours, but don’t miss it. The water in the falls is beautiful.

• Thanks 1

Did  Hasuki (teppanyaki) tonight for dinner. So full! We had a great time. There was a couple from Colorado sitting next to us. One was celebrating his 84th and they were so enjoyable to chat and eat with. We stepped into the theater for the 70’s disco theme. It was only 45 minutes and I lasted about 6 before I said, “can we go?” Not a dancer in the slightest, nor a fan of 70’s disco. I will say, I didn’t believe it when reading reviews, but it is so cool how the theater turns into a night club. Simple touches like the entrance to get in. Well done! Can’t wait for the Donna summer show there tomorrow.

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

@skatie, our guide was saying the beginning of the season and end of the season being a lot of these bugs.I definitely would recommend bug spray and a hoodie. At least the bugs won’t be flying in your ears and hair. If you can, stop at the gift shop first and buy the netting they have for Dimmuborgir.  Both sights are worth seeing. Not as good as the Reykjavik area tours, but don’t miss it. The water in the falls is beautiful.

Great review and photos. Thanks!

We did an Iceland/Norway cruise last summer. Some of the reviews I read mentioned how bad the bugs can be. So I hit up Amazon for the netting you can put over your head. They are now with my other travel stuff, unopened! We were blessed with no bugs. Hope it is better for you in other ports. 

It is just spectacular country.

• Like 3

i am writing a hero card out for the barista at Starbucks. She knew our names and exactly what we wanted the second and third day. She was struck up a conversation last night when we stopped by. Honestly, it’s these little touches that make me come back to NCL.

IMG_0249.jpeg

• Like 7

Oh thank you! I love the descriptions, the photos and the conversations! My husband and I are going on this cruise on the Prima more than one year from now!  End of September into October 2024…I’m wondering if we have a chance to see the northern lights??? It’s the last cruise of the season!

ok…I was worried that I would have to buy the cruise tour through NCL for the pre and post days for getting to know Reykjavik and see some more stuff in London…I’d sure be grateful for sources for 2 nights on both ends! 

we are not really large ship people (we love Viking)…but we saw a YouTube review of the Prima and fell in love with the decor! These photos seem to support that! I hope we can avoid crowds…we just hate being “herded” …we go into suites to try to avoid too much crowding. We were on the Spirit this spring and had upgraded our drink pkg to premium+…they hardly had any of the upgraded brands…we’ve ordered the premium+ on this upcoming Prima cruise too…hopefully they have stocked the premium+ brands….can some of you that are on the cruise now answer this? 

please keep posting! I’m loving traveling vicariously through y’all!!!

• Like 2

@Let Me Travel!  I cannot speak for the beverage package as I don’t drink alcohol, but my friends have the regular package with no issue. Can’t really help with the premium package.  We stayed at the Hotel Borg in Iceland, which is in a great location. It is about 2 miles from where you dock, so a taxi will be required. The city is much less intimidating or sprawling than I had anticipated. We booked tours through venture ashore and nice tours. Highly recommend. We had someone tell us they booked through the cruise line and the prices they charged really left him a little bitter because it is about three times as much. In Akeuyri, the busses are right off the ship. Book privately.  Enjoying the research and anticipation. 

• Like 3

Saw a peak of the vibe beach club during our sea day 😂

outdoor areas are closed due to weather. We had to rebook the go karts. Indulge food hall was so packed for lunch. Make sure to bring your patience. Some older guy had a menu and didn’t want to order off the iPads and literally screamed for a manager. 

The gym was crowded, but not as bad as I expected. the observation lounge is completely packed. I’m writing from there and every seat is full. I miss the OL from the Bliss.

it may be the weather, but no signs of any whales 

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

Edited by PhillyTravelBug
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

ok…I was worried that I would have to buy the cruise tour through NCL for the pre and post days for getting to know Reykjavik and see some more stuff in London…I’d sure be grateful for sources for 2 nights on both ends! 

PhillyTravelBug, don't mean to hijack!

We stayed at the Center Hotel Laugavegur in Reykjavik after our cruise. Lovely hotel with a delicious included breakfast. There is a food hall a block away that had great offerings. Walkable to all the main sights.

Enjoy your planning.

• Like 2