Prima Iceland / Norway August 2023

PhillyTravelBug

Tonight was the Donna Summer show at 6:30 pm for us. I’m not big on disco, but obviously recognized most of the songs. The choreography and singing were so good! The storyline had me dozing off a few times. It lasted until almost 8pm. This theater beats any NCL ship!

we then had dinner in Ondo with friends.  I had the calzone which was good, followed by the short rib raviolis and carrots. Both were superb!! I make pasta at home and this had mine beat!

Headed back and went out on the patio to see the sun fading in the distance at 10:35pm. So nice! Cannot wait for Alesund. Hope the weather is nice.

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0261.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

Edited by PhillyTravelBug
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Made it to Alesund!  This had been a dream stop of mine for many years.

we had breakfast at the indulge food hall. Smart choice. Barely any crowds.  We docked and climbed Aksla. Wear comfy shoes and be prepared to warm up as you climb.  This place is heaven!

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

• Like 11

We did a walking tour excursion in Alesund showing the art deco architecture and going to a museum about art deco and how it came about in Alesund. Unlike most cruise line excursions, no large bus and there were only 15 of us plus the guide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

This place is heaven!

Are you like me and declare that "you're going to live here" when you go to an amazing place like this? My list of places I'm going to live must be in the dozens now!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 6

All this info is making our year long wait more difficult.  Hoping that NCL and the dock issues get worked out for the ports by Sept of next year.  Wife is hoping we don't miss any especially Brussels.

Glad to see you are having a mostly positive experience on the Prima.  We have been considering cancelling our Prima cruise a lot just because of all the negativity.  Of course the small gathering places, massive crowds in these small places are definitely going to be annoying.

Current plans for us are to arrive about 4 days before the cruise begins and do several land tours from Reykjavik.  Definitely planning for one of those to include the south coast as well as northern lights tour (if we are lucky).  Good to see you had a good experience with your tour companies.

And I 100% get the feeling that the $50 NCL excursion credit we have will be wasted as the options already available on the NCL planner seem to be at least 2-3X more than "googling" around is showing me i.e. $299 per person for a tour that seems to be about $120-$140 at other places.  Definitely we will also pass on the FAS upgrade for $490 per person also.  The only thing we would use from it is the unlimited wifi which on its own is crazy priced as well at $299 per person.  May just have to be out of touch for this vacation (not a bad thing, lol).

Keep the info coming and thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GCS2000 said:

All this info is making our year long wait more difficult.  Hoping that NCL and the dock issues get worked out for the ports by Sept of next year.  Wife is hoping we don't miss any especially Brussels.

Glad to see you are having a mostly positive experience on the Prima.  We have been considering cancelling our Prima cruise a lot just because of all the negativity.  Of course the small gathering places, massive crowds in these small places are definitely going to be annoying.

Current plans for us are to arrive about 4 days before the cruise begins and do several land tours from Reykjavik.  Definitely planning for one of those to include the south coast as well as northern lights tour (if we are lucky).  Good to see you had a good experience with your tour companies.

And I 100% get the feeling that the $50 NCL excursion credit we have will be wasted as the options already available on the NCL planner seem to be at least 2-3X more than "googling" around is showing me i.e. $299 per person for a tour that seems to be about $120-$140 at other places.  Definitely we will also pass on the FAS upgrade for $490 per person also.  The only thing we would use from it is the unlimited wifi which on its own is crazy priced as well at $299 per person.  May just have to be out of touch for this vacation (not a bad thing, lol).

Keep the info coming and thanks!

We also had a mostly positive experience of the Prima 8/6-8/17. Please do not let the negativity you may read unduly influence you. I did start a thread about our cruise, and there are some things that were far from perfect, but on the whole it was a very enjoyable cruise. 

Edited by ontheweb
added the link
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We also had a mostly positive experience of the Prima 8/6-8/17. Please do not let the negativity you may read unduly influence you. I did start a thread about our cruise, and there are some things that were far from perfect, but on the whole it was a very enjoyable cruise. 

couldn’t agree more. There was an incident at the local where the waiter thought we ordered two burgers instead of three . After asking about the third burger he told us we only ordered two and then we asked for another one and he proceeded to bring us two again. 

• Haha 1

Regarding the crowds, I have noticed that as the cruise has reached the middle days, people seem to be spreading to the other venues a bit more.  I noticed less congestion the last few days personally, particularly in the buffet.  The first few days you could barely walk through it, even really early in the morning.  The last two days it has been better, perhaps because people gave up on it and decided to eat at Hudson’s or Commodore instead.  

1 hour ago, golden6911 said:

Regarding the crowds, I have noticed that as the cruise has reached the middle days, people seem to be spreading to the other venues a bit more.  I noticed less congestion the last few days personally, particularly in the buffet.  The first few days you could barely walk through it, even really early in the morning.  The last two days it has been better, perhaps because people gave up on it and decided to eat at Hudson’s or Commodore instead.  

Warning--it does get very crowded for the last breakfast as everyone has to leave the ship. That was by far the most crowded we ever experienced in the buffet.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Warning--it does get very crowded for the last breakfast as everyone has to leave the ship. That was by far the most crowded we ever experienced in the buffet.

Do they still have the grab and go breakfast in the Observation Lounge on the last day?

It continues….

I want to add that Alesund and Geiranger have been the highlight of the trip, but with the late evening in alesund and early arrival today, it takes some endurance.

I am really glad we went from Reykjavik to Southampton as the scenery keeps getting more majestic.

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

• Like 9

Spectacular scenery!  Geiranger is the port I'm most looking forward to.  We are thinking of renting the small two seater e-mobi cars for couple of hours - don't think we'll get up as high as you were - my stomach in knots just looking at how high up you were LOL!  I'm trying to convince my husband that we need thermal spa passes but he's not convinced (yet!)

Edited by skatie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1