Talk to me like a child - Internet Service in Europe

Sunset329

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

harles, I can’t speak as to Verizon, but AT&T’s $10/day International Day Pass has unlimited data, talk, and text only when the customer has an unlimited domestic plan. That part is in the fine print. Basically, the International Day Pass lets you take your domestic plan abroad; if it’s unlimited, fine; if it’s not, you will have limits.

Yes that is true data will only be unlimited if you have unlimited data on your domestic plan. (I do) For what people will use in port they are unlikely to go over if they don't have unlimited.  If pre cruise or post cruise they will have wifi at their hotel. For long Land vacations or combined land and cruise I use a different stratagy. Besides Wifi at my accomidations I have a dual Sim phone and use Airalo. Before each cruise or land vacation I make a plan because the plan will be different for each trip. 

Edited by Charles4515

I think comes down to if your using your phone for 2 days or less than just pay the travel fee per day.

If your going to use it 3 or more days including while in port and money isn’t a concern then use your usual plan.

If you rather save some money and your phone has dual sim then get the Esim card from Europe.

For some countries you can order online ahead of time and install before leaving home or also some airports have them in vending machines etc. but for the OP I would recommend having help setting it up before leaving home.

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Charles, I can’t speak as to Verizon, but AT&T’s $10/day International Day Pass has unlimited data, talk, and text only when the customer has an unlimited domestic plan. That part is in the fine print. Basically, the International Day Pass lets you take your domestic plan abroad; if it’s unlimited, fine; if it’s not, you will have limits.

BTW, one advantage AT&T has over Verizon is that AT&T limits the $10 a day charge in any billing month to $100  — 10 days of use. This worked very well for me on a nearly month-long land trip to the UK last fall. (And I do have an unlimited plan.)  It was very nice to be able to use my phone in the UK just as I use it in the US.

It is possible to do the same on Verizon, but you have to effectively tell them in advance.  $100 for a month of international service.  But if I recall correctly, whether you do it by the month ($100) or by the day ($10) it's PER PHONE not per plan. So if two of you are going, you'd need to double the cost expectations.

33 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

It is possible to do the same on Verizon, but you have to effectively tell them in advance.  $100 for a month of international service.  But if I recall correctly, whether you do it by the month ($100) or by the day ($10) it's PER PHONE not per plan. So if two of you are going, you'd need to double the cost expectations.

They could have both phones on two travel passes and might want to but they don’t need to. One could set up a personal hotspot. 

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The $10 a days Travel Passes on Verizon and AT&T  include unlimited, talk, text and data. Banking and credit cards at Wifi hotspots you can use a VPN for more security but honestly Bank and credit card websites and apps are all encrypted. If the hotspot has a log in you should be okay. Hotspots without log ins should not be used. I do prefer to use those on cell service when traveling. 

I gave up my Verizon account when I moved back to Canada in 2021 so this must be a change. 

Data security: I’ve had some experience with data security and the only time I would use a public network to access sensitive data is on a VPN. Maybe I’m paranoid but better that than finding accounts compromised when you’re trying to enjoy a vacation. 

23 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I gave up my Verizon account when I moved back to Canada in 2021 so this must be a change. 

Data security: I’ve had some experience with data security and the only time I would use a public network to access sensitive data is on a VPN. Maybe I’m paranoid but better that than finding accounts compromised when you’re trying to enjoy a vacation. 

Data security is also why you don’t see wifi as much in Europe. 

I would start by checking with you carrier and see what they have to offer and pricing.

I have T-Mobile and they have  Free International roaming in 199 countries around the world.  I understand both Verizon and ATT offer data plans for a fee.   I find it rally helps especially when vacationing and using my phone for mapping and directions. 

Depending on you data  and phone needs you may be able to get by using free internet at places like your hotel, Starbucks and McDonalds.   

This link will identify free hotspot locations in Barcelona.

https://barcelonalowdown.com/free-wifi-barcelona/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This link will identify free hotspot locations in Barcelona.

https://barcelonalowdown.com/free-wifi-barcelona/

Barcelona is full of crooks. Don't use free WiFi hotspots there without a VPN. 

Which reminds me for the OP, they should have travel belts or whatever. Barcelona is full of pickpockets. Don't keep wallets in pockets. Also be careful there at ATMs. Only use ones inside a bank. There are skimmers on the street ones. 

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

The data is only unlimited if you have an unlimited plan but they offer various unlimited plans now. It makes more sense these days with Verizon and AT&T to get an unlimited plan if you have multiple lines on you plan and not worry about going over domestically. If you have one line and rarely use your smartphone it might be worth something less than unlimited. A lot of people who travel a lot linternationaly ike T-Mobile but I seem to be in a T-Mobile dead spot. I am on AT&T now and have Unlimited because it includes Canada, Mexico and 19 Latin American countries. AT&T works best at home. 

Just something to be aware of. Getting a sim card in Europe will change your phone number to a local number. I personally wouldn't bother with that for 3 days. The travel pass should work fine.

Also, the travel pass is usually for a 24 hour period. So, if you plan ahead enough that you don't need your phone all day every day - you can turn it on day 1 at 12 and turn it back off on day 2 at 11:50 and only get charged for 1 day. We usually don't use the travel pass every day. There's pretty much always wifi in the hotel and public spots. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Just something to be aware of. Getting a sim card in Europe will change your phone number to a local number. I personally wouldn't bother with that for 3 days. The travel pass should work fine.

Also, the travel pass is usually for a 24 hour period. So, if you plan ahead enough that you don't need your phone all day every day - you can turn it on day 1 at 12 and turn it back off on day 2 at 11:50 and only get charged for 1 day. We usually don't use the travel pass every day. There's pretty much always wifi in the hotel and public spots. 

Exactly.That's what I was saying in my earlier post. We had a family member who has Verizon at home for cell service and decided to get e-sims for him and his wife for their 16 day Europe trip. He's in IT so he's tech savvy but they had problems throughout their trip with texting back home. It wasn't too much of an issue for I-phone users since I-Messages can use Wifi to send texts. Android based SMS texting only uses cellular connections and when using the esim the Iphones never correctly sent out texts to non Iphone users. 

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Exactly.That's what I was saying in my earlier post. We had a family member who has Verizon at home for cell service and decided to get e-sims for him and his wife for their 16 day Europe trip. He's in IT so he's tech savvy but they had problems throughout their trip with texting back home. It wasn't too much of an issue for I-phone users since I-Messages can use Wifi to send texts. Android based SMS texting only uses cellular connections and when using the esim the Iphones never correctly sent out texts to non Iphone users. 

The solution to the Android user I think would be to use WhatsApp to text that user. 

• Like 2

Just now, Charles4515 said:

The solution to the Android user I think would be to use WhatsApp to text that user. 

Adding another layer of complexity. Luckily we have T-Mobile and as a frequent traveler it's works flawlessly and eliminates the need for Sims and Esims

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That’s why everyone I knows uses WhatsApp. My ex and I never actually used SMS because half the time at least one of us was out of country, we just used WhatsApp. If I’m out of country or might be just text me on WhatsApp. 

OP doesn’t mention how many days in port her TA may have. If their are 3 port days in addition to the days in Barcelona then it adds up quick if she plans on paying 10$ a day for her phone.

Edited by SoloAlaska

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Barcelona is full of crooks. Don't use free WiFi hotspots there without a VPN. 

Which reminds me for the OP, they should have travel belts or whatever. Barcelona is full of pickpockets. Don't keep wallets in pockets. Also be careful there at ATMs. Only use ones inside a bank. There are skimmers on the street ones. 

We have already purchased our money belts. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Adding another layer of complexity. Luckily we have T-Mobile and as a frequent traveler it's works flawlessly and eliminates the need for Sims and Esims

I absolutely agree - my rule of thumb a sim is probably worth while if you are in a particular region for me than 15 days. Anything less than that keep it simple and use carrier roaming plans . In Australia the carriers over the last couple of years have started to develop reasonable plans. My carrier Optus has $AUD 5 per day for 5gb data and un limited calls /text . It is so much simpler to do than an eSIM . Having said all that we will be in Egypt for two days - there is no sensible roaming so I have got a eSIM for those two days as 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisn-au said:

I absolutely agree - my rule of thumb a sim is probably worth while if you are in a particular region for me than 15 days. Anything less than that keep it simple and use carrier roaming plans . In Australia the carriers over the last couple of years have started to develop reasonable plans. My carrier Optus has $AUD 5 per day for 5gb data and un limited calls /text . It is so much simpler to do than an eSIM . Having said all that we will be in Egypt for two days - there is no sensible roaming so I have got a eSIM for those two days as 

Wow that’s really reasonable. In Canada it’s 3 times that price. It’s gotten out of control and our plans are already some of the most expensive in the world.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Wow that’s really reasonable. In Canada it’s 3 times that price. It’s gotten out of control and our plans are already some of the most expensive in the world.

We get screwed over in Canada by the big 3 

their reasoning Canada is huge with small population, if that was the case why is Australia so cheap 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

their reasoning Canada is huge with small population, if that was the case why is Australia so cheap

Rarely do you see the words Australia and cheap used in the same sentence . In this case I think it may be a post covid thing - there is more thinking about international travel - I guess the telcos are getting on the bandwagon - regardless it is pretty sensible and makes life so much simpler (we did have a horrendous roaming issue 10 years or so ago in Hong Kong when it was $10 for 500 mb ) 

Free WiFi is ubiquitous in Europe - bars, restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Use a VPN if you're worried about security - Express VPN is reliable and cheap.

It's also dirt cheap to pick up local Sims with PAYG credit.

I have a phone with dual Sims.

I'm with Ireland Vodafone and pay €5 every month for 5GB of data. I rarely use it all. It roams free in Europe.

For further afield I use Three UK - £10 a month gets me 4GB ( £15=10GB ) which I can use for free in 50 or so countries around the world including the EU and US.

Neither of these are on contract and just require purchasing as and when needed.

As a tip talk to the crew about best free WiFi near the port - when I lived in a place popular with cruise ships you'd see the crew outside bars and places like betting offices where free WiFi was offered.

We treat not having free WiFi on board as a digital holiday. Saves us a fortune. And let's be frank most of all social internet use is entirely frivolous.Do you REALLY need that expensive WiFi package on board or for roaming while in port ?

We're doing a TA in October and five days at sea with no internet is bliss.

When you finally log-on and see the tsunami of crap that instantly arrives on your 'phone you realise why.

It helps that herself and I have never been on any form of social media.

Edited by Baggy178

8 hours ago, chrisn-au said:

Rarely do you see the words Australia and cheap used in the same sentence . In this case I think it may be a post covid thing - there is more thinking about international travel - I guess the telcos are getting on the bandwagon - regardless it is pretty sensible and makes life so much simpler (we did have a horrendous roaming issue 10 years or so ago in Hong Kong when it was $10 for 500 mb ) 

Even pre covid Australia cellphone rates were way cheaper than Canada 

IMG_5867.thumb.jpeg.7d82c56a052225a75ac9cc8d1dd253da.jpegIMG_5866.thumb.jpeg.8608b1ee9c4c974833b3e933649e906a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

We treat not having free WiFi on board as a digital holiday. Saves us a fortune. And let's be frank most of all social internet use is entirely frivolous.Do you REALLY need that expensive WiFi package on board or for roaming while in port ?

We're doing a TA in October and five days at sea with no internet is bliss.

When you finally log-on and see the tsunami of crap that instantly arrives on your 'phone you realise why.

It helps that herself and I have never been on any form of social media.

You write you never been on any form of social media but you are on this forum ?🤔

With FB we have able to stay in contact with people we have meet on cruises and think of as close friends , without social media this would be impossible 

Roaming in port is a great tool, makes it so much easier to find yarn shops in ports 🤣

I wouldn’t extra for Wi-Fi on the ship, but sometime with group rates having Always included, it was the same cost of cruise only fare

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You write you never been on any form of social media but you are on this forum ?🤔

With FB we have able to stay in contact with people we have meet on cruises and think of as close friends , without social media this would be impossible 

Roaming in port is a great tool, makes it so much easier to find yarn shops in ports 🤣

I wouldn’t extra for Wi-Fi on the ship, but sometime with group rates having Always included, it was the same cost of cruise only fare

Finding yarn and fabric stores in port is an essential part of cruising for me. Let me introduce my actual self, I’m the owner of Trailhead Yarns lol. 

• Haha 1