Port Liquor Taxes

gmbhardy

Interesting question. In US, some states require the tax to be charged, but others don't. The same applies to ports in Europe and elsewhere.

If you have a beverage package that has, for the sake of the argument, a $15 per drink ceiling, in most cases you will pay an extra amount only if the combined drink price plus tax exceeds $15. In our only cruise to date that included eastern Canadian ports, we had a drink package and were oblivious to the possibility of taxes as we never paid anything extra. The same with an Alaskan cruise, we weren't charged extra for drinks taken while still in Vancouver.

I'll be interested in others' experiences, and what the different provinces charge.

I think this comes down to federal vrs provincial laws.  

I don't think provincial laws apply to any inter-provincial or international trains, aircraft or ships.   The provincial liquor age does not apply.  Rules on servers don't apply etc.  Taxes don't apply.  That removes a lot of the tax.

Then on the federal side there is no GST on international journeys.   The removes the rest.