updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

I have yet to receive our Princess email for our November cruise,  but received my notification for Carnival for our Boxing Day cruise.

GUEST ADVISORY

REMOVAL OF COVID PROTOCOLS
ALL VOYAGES

30 August 2023

Dear Carnival Guest,

We are pleased to share that the Australian government (State and Commonwealth) has made the decision to lift COVID protocols for all guests. This is consistent with other parts of travel and hospitality, including restaurants, sporting and entertainment venues, and public transportation, and harmonises the Australian cruise sector with global standards.

Effective immediately, we are making it easier for all guests, irrespective of vaccination status, to sail on cruises of any length from Australia. Proof of vaccination, pre-cruise testing, and application for a vaccine exemption are no longer required. Reservations are now confirmed for all guests, including for those awaiting a vaccine exemption.

Guests who have symptoms of respiratory illness within 5 days of embarkation should test for COVID-19. If you receive a positive result, you will not be able to travel. Please contact our customer service team at 13 31 94. 

We remain unwavering in our commitment to the well-being and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit. Looking ahead, we will continue to abide by our strict and robust hygiene standards, whilst closely collaborating with relevant health authorities. We encourage you to visit our Have Fun. Be Safe. page for further details on the changes. 

We look forward to continuing to deliver the holiday experience you have come to love on a Carnival Cruise as we CHOOSE FUN TOGETHER!

Sincerely,
 07a77fa4-70d2-4db5-aa5b-304088462675.jpg
Christine Duffy
President, Carnival Cruise Line

open.aspx?ffcb10-febd177673600274-fe3c15

Edited by arxcards
Get rid of the weird format
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CDaze71 said:

@arxcards Geoff I got an email from Princess and Carnival. Hey are you on the Luminosa on Boxing Day for NYE? If so, then we are on the same cruise. 

Sorry Cilla, not this time.

Spendor this time around, booked before Carnival Luminosa was a twinkle in JH's eyes. Looks like we finally get to use up our cancellation credits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Sorry Cilla, not this time.

Spendor this time around, booked before Carnival Luminosa was a twinkle in JH's eyes. Looks like we finally get to use up our cancellation credits.

Bummer. Yeah this will be my fourth and final covid cancelled Carnival cruise with heaps of funny money. This one I'll have $1,100 obc, it's been fun. 

10 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Bummer. Yeah this will be my fourth and final covid cancelled Carnival cruise with heaps of funny money. This one I'll have $1,100 obc, it's been fun. 

Awesome. We are happy with $550, but only have 3 days to spend it. Carnival is great that you can pre-book just about anything with OBC. 

• Like 1

Not really, the protocols have just been dropped, but there is a set of rules still in play. We are now in line with the rest of the world, but what does that mean? Just ignore it if you feel you already have this stuff in hand.

P&O has updated their health page. It has been done quietly, as there is only fanfare for the 5% of the population that has been unable to cruise. For the rest of us, there is a loosening of these rules to align with what the rest of the world is doing. Worth taking a look at the fine print, as this will be typical across all of the Carnival Australia brands. Healthy Cruising | P&O Cruises Australia (pocruises.com.au)

No more pre-cruise RAT? Correct. If you are healthy or asymptomatic, you don't test. If you have symptoms, you are expected to test, although the word "should" has no legal binding. If you show symptoms in the terminal, they can require you to take a RAT and deny boarding if you are positive. If you are unwell and you test positive before you board, there is a grey area in their FAQ. If you have adequate insurance, you can claim it. If not, maybe they will credit, but it doesn't detail any of that.

No more cabin isolation? Wrong. If you present to the medical centre with any flu-like symptoms on your cruise, you will be tested for covid. If positive, the same isolation rules apply. I did expect this, as cabin isolation has existed during outbreaks, long before covid. However, these rules are far more stringent than AHPPC guidelines. The key is about testing - it is only someone sick enough to be tested that will present. If you are unwell aboard, there are no concessions. Any medical centre costs will be between you and your insurance.

The language appears to be much stronger than the health department guidelines, and there is a reason for this. For the 5% who are excited to cruise again, there are others that are reluctant to cruise on a ship without covid restrictions. For all of our strict protocols, the only difference from the rest of the world is that it has all been mandated, not voluntary.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 7

I finally received a communication from Princess ! The email was regarding the new covid policy.  1st one since last year , which was about the "new" packages for our upcoming cruise. Nice to see they haven't completely forgotten us. Cheers, Buzz.

23 hours ago, arxcards said:

They have, and it looks like Australia specific info has been moved from their site. They posted on their social media in the wee hours that they applaud the changes. Still unclear, passengers have asked questions around embarkation, with this reply:

"Following the announcement by the Australian government (sic), at embarkation, we no longer require proof of COVID vaccination or pre-embarkation COVID testing".

Thank you very, very much 😊

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Now it's a free-for-all.

Just like everywhere else in the World - perhaps you shouldn't cruise? - or go on planes trains and automobiles or the footy or the shopping malls, etc, etc. After all, they told us that we can pass it onto others even if we are symptomatic - this of course means that anybody near you could have it at anytime. The only way to truly avoid it is to stay well clear of ALL people ALL of the time 😞

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Just like everywhere else in the World - perhaps you shouldn't cruise? - or go on planes trains and automobiles or the footy or the shopping malls, etc, etc. After all, they told us that we can pass it onto others even if we are symptomatic - this of course means that anybody near you could have it at anytime. The only way to truly avoid it is to stay well clear of ALL people ALL of the time 😞

Yeah, well I pretty much do that already but thanks for your advice.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, clairebearinaus said:

Great news, I hope Carnival updates their systems in time for my Thursday departure!  

We're departing carnival tomorrow and they have already emailed to say effective immediately we no longer need to do RAT or show Vax certificate in boarding. I logged into the carnival site and they've already removed the links/tab where you used to enter vaccination status and covid questionnaire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been monitoring P&O's cruise control and it would appear that at this stage they are still requiring pre-cruise RAT tests, though vaccinations are no longer mandatory.

For cruises to or from Australia, and cruises that visit an Australian port (including Norfolk Island), guests are required to take a self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 24 hrs of boarding or a PCR test within 48 hours before boarding and carry evidence of the negative RAT or PCR result. Click here for more details.

Any guest who has tested positive to COVID-19 in the 5 days prior to the cruise departure will not be permitted to board.

2 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I've been monitoring P&O's cruise control and it would appear that at this stage they are still requiring pre-cruise RAT tests, though vaccinations are no longer mandatory.

For cruises to or from Australia, and cruises that visit an Australian port (including Norfolk Island), guests are required to take a self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 24 hrs of boarding or a PCR test within 48 hours before boarding and carry evidence of the negative RAT or PCR result. Click here for more details.

Any guest who has tested positive to COVID-19 in the 5 days prior to the cruise departure will not be permitted to board.

If you look at the FAQs on this website it says that testing has been dropped.

https://www.pocruises.com.au/plan/know-before-you-go/healthy-cruising

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

That just hasn't updated. Their "Healthy Cruising" page linked above was updated overnight. No rat unless you have symptoms within 5 days of boarding.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Geoff and habitatnal. I actually accessed their Healthy Cruising button on cruise control moments before uploading my post. Maybe P&O haven't got all their digital ducks in a row yet. Can't rush into these things 😂🦆

Cheers

Cee

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I really hope this doesn't lead to a covid s---show on board ships around Australia over the next six months.

I thought the pre-boarding testing was a simple and efficient measure to try to keep the numbers of cases down. Now it's a free-for-all.

I hope so too. I don't think much changes, so as long as everything is OK ashore, it should be the same at sea. We had SS's last season with those testing protocols, but they were largely a SS because test results bought on a need for more testing. This should be much more anonymous now.

Previously you took an honour test the day before, now you take an honour test within 5 days if you have symptoms. As per their rules, a sniffle or a cough is a symptom. The only real difference is that the government no longer says you must.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

No more cabin isolation? Wrong. If you present to the medical centre with any flu-like symptoms on your cruise, you will be tested for covid. If positive, the same isolation rules apply. I did expect this, as cabin isolation has existed during outbreaks, long before covid. However, these rules are far more stringent than AHPPC guidelines. The key is about testing - it is only someone sick enough to be tested that will present. If you are unwell aboard, there are no concessions. Any medical centre costs will be between you and your insurance.

The language appears to be much stronger than the health department guidelines, and there is a reason for this. For the 5% who are excited to cruise again, there are others that are reluctant to cruise on a ship without covid restrictions. For all of our strict protocols, the only difference from the rest of the world is that it has all been mandated, not voluntary.

At least they will still give you Fcc's if you have to isolate although you are on your own if you test positive prior to boarding.

What happens if during my cruise I have COVID-19 or test positive?

Any guest reporting or exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms should notify our onboard medical staff and be seen for testing. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 should isolate for at least 5 days from the day they test positive and until they have been symptom free for 24 hours.

Any guest who must isolate during their cruise, will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the days spent in isolation. The Future Cruise Credit will be the value of the cruise fare paid for the number of cruise days missed less government taxes, fees and port expenses, and will be subject to our standard terms and conditions for Future Cruise Credits

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

At least they will still give you Fcc's if you have to isolate although you are on your own if you test positive prior to boarding.

What happens if during my cruise I have COVID-19 or test positive?

Any guest reporting or exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms should notify our onboard medical staff and be seen for testing. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 should isolate for at least 5 days from the day they test positive and until they have been symptom free for 24 hours.

Any guest who must isolate during their cruise, will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the days spent in isolation. The Future Cruise Credit will be the value of the cruise fare paid for the number of cruise days missed less government taxes, fees and port expenses, and will be subject to our standard terms and conditions for Future Cruise Credits

I can't find that section any more. How did you get to it?

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can't find that section any more. How did you get to it?

It was in today's email on healthy cruising in the FAQs section.  The other parts had been altered to reflect the new rules so I imagine it is still relevant unless they have forgotten about it.

image.thumb.png.962a953eb4137d0b3f8f134cdb0b479c.png

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I hope so too. I don't think much changes, so as long as everything is OK ashore, it should be the same at sea. We had SS's last season with those testing protocols, but they were largely a SS because test results bought on a need for more testing. This should be much more anonymous now.

Previously you took an honour test the day before, now you take an honour test within 5 days if you have symptoms. As per their rules, a sniffle or a cough is a symptom. The only real difference is that the government no longer says you must.

My concern is that a lot of people will ignore any symptoms they may have so they don't have *their* holiday ruined by having to cancel.

Their previous honourable behaviour was 'encouraged' by the possibility of being found out at the port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

It was in today's email on healthy cruising in the FAQs section.  The other parts had been altered to reflect the new rules so I imagine it is still relevant unless they have forgotten about it.

image.thumb.png.962a953eb4137d0b3f8f134cdb0b479c.png

Is that P&O?

It's completely gone from Princess. There is no mention of Covid anywhere so I doubt they'll be offering the FCCs any more.