Passport Photo onboard?

FlaMariner

Our passport needs to be renewed once we return from our next cruise.

Does anyone know if the HAL photo team will take passport photos?

(Seems like an efficient way to get the task completed, spend some OBC and be done w/it)

As I remember, two of the requirements is a white/light  background and an unfiltered photo. I don’t think their standard backdrops include white, though you could find a white wall on the exterior of the ship, especially on Deck 11 on a Pinnacle or somewhere similar.

26 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

As I remember, two of the requirements is a white/light  background and an unfiltered photo. I don’t think their standard backdrops include white, though you could find a white wall on the exterior of the ship, especially on Deck 11 on a Pinnacle or somewhere similar.

Size of the pic, no smiling, no glasses are 3 more. AAA did ours last October.

Less than 10 miles from my home, and pretty much on the way anywhere, is the main post office for this area. It is a one stop shop for Passports. They will take your picture, check your documents, sell you a money order if needed, place everything in a priority envelope, and mail it off. I don't think they charge much for the photo, but it is basically a package price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are several places that take passport photos: Staples, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, some Post Offices, AAA as already mentioned, UPS Store, etc. Do an Internet search for “passport photos near me” and you should see what options exist. I doubt if any will be free, aside from AAA for members.

Edited by ExArkie
Typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

(Seems like an efficient way to get the task completed, spend some OBC and be done w/it)

Thanks for the intel on the various places one can get a passport photo.....I've also seen an app for that.......

I'm aware and I can easily get the passport photo (CVS is 5 minutes away)........

Our question remains the same.....Does anyone know if the HAL photo team will take passport photos?   And so far, the answer seems to be no.

All good and thanks!

• Thanks 1

Got ours done on a Princess cruise a few months ago by ship photographers. We had excess OBC to burn off so it was "free". Just print out the photo specs from state department website so they get it right. They will do it on a "dress up" night when they do portraits and have a white background screen to use. Should be same on HAL. By the way got our passports back in only 8 weeks.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Our question remains the same.....Does anyone know if the HAL photo team will take passport photos?  

I will try and find a photographer onboard and ask them.  May not be the same for all ships though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

One of the onboard photographers (Nieuw Statendam) said 'no problem'.  He also said you just want head and shoulders so no problem.  He was unsure of the price but was thinking around $10 for the photo and $5 for each print.

I think you would want to take a printed copy of the passport photo requirements to show the photographer as you would have no comeback if the photos were not accepted.  Though you would have a couple of nice portraits of yourself!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You rule VMAX!!!!

Many thanks and that will be the plan........Agree...I'll take the US photo requirements page with me.

Enjoy the cruise and I'll take care of your meal tomorrow night in the MDR.  My treat!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Thanks for the intel on the various places one can get a passport photo.....I've also seen an app for that.......

I'm aware and I can easily get the passport photo (CVS is 5 minutes away)........

Our question remains the same.....Does anyone know if the HAL photo team will take passport photos?   And so far, the answer seems to be no.

All good and thanks!

Not much help here because I don't know the answer either.  

But I assumed naturally they would take passport photos since that is such a critical travel service when they are on a cruise ship. Lost passport, necessary for a visa, and such a routine procedure.  For passengers, staff, crew as well. 

Good thing to check on when I am on board next month - I am due for a passport renewal. 

• Like 2

Do something really crazy on ship.  If crazy enough, The ship's Security Officer may take a mugshot before you are thrown in the brig.  It might meet same requirements.  Problem solved. 

• Haha 8

39 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

Do something really crazy on ship.  If crazy enough, The ship's Security Officer may take a mugshot before you are thrown in the brig.  It might meet same requirements.  Problem solved. 

That assumes the ship will give you copies of your mug shot. Usually you have to look in the newspaper or the post office wall for your mug shot...not adequate quality, and you may not get a passport if you have a mug shot.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2023 at 5:40 PM, FlaMariner said:

FWIW

We had no problems getting passport photos onboard with the photo staff while onboard the Westerdam this month.  

We were charged $49 for two of us  (misc charge as there is no standard pricing for that).  Expensive perhaps but worth it to us since we had the time, the need and the OBC!

Thanks to @VMax1700 for previously asking onboard for us if this was possible. 

• Like 3