Medications and Customs in Japan

kayakcove

Doing “Best of Japan” on Celebrity in Oct. 2023 and checking for any entry requirements and find warning about bringing medications into Japan. I understand that you can bring your personal prescriptions in quantities for up to a month. But then see there are some prescriptions that are illegal there and some over the counter meds that are illegal (Nyquil, Sudafed, and Lomotil).

I have not found any comments about this being an issue, any feedback would be appreciated.

55 minutes ago, bennybear said:

See this thread, it depends on which medications,  how long and medical devices like CPAP.

Thanks, this covers it well.  I do wish CC had a better search engine, I typed medications not medication and got nothing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kayakcove said:

Thanks, this covers it well.  I do wish CC had a better search engine, I typed medications not medication and got nothing. 

Search on Google with the query (no quotes):

"medications japan site:boards.cruisecritic.com"

and you'll get loads of hits.

Edited by someotherguy
Afterthought

While we have never lived in Japan we have traveled to Japan.  No issues with bringing in non-opioid meds.  My husband and I both take a standard US med to lower cholesterol and I also take a standard med to lower blood pressure.  So no painkiller meds with opioids.  No issues.

We are flying into and traveling Japan for 20 days and I think I will travel with my 2 meds in their prescription bottles, instead of in a day of the week container like I use at home. Will also have my doctor prep a short letter stating the need for the meds and have a copy of my prescriptions.

I am a bit nervous about a pain medication that I take for my shoulder. It is something I take only when there is no other option to manage the pain and it sounds like this med is not able to travel with me. Am I understanding this correctly?

When we travel, I always pack a little emergency kit that includes-first aid supplies, Tylenol and Advil, stomach meds, Ny-Quil, etc.- as well as some Dramamine. For those that have visited Japan in the past, should the med options not travel with us? Dramamine and Advil/Tylenol are something that we have to use from time to time but I want to understand this so I do the right thing.

Thank you-

• 3 weeks later...

I'd take @BruceMuzz's long experience as good enough for me.  I have travelled extensively throughout Asia for work, and I take a massive bag of drugs with me (for gut, head, pain, anxiety, etc..).  YMMV but I've never even been looked at, including during about a dozen border crossings to Japan.  The rules are there, but I don't now how/when they enforce them.  As i said though, YMMV.

• Like 2

The problem is you risk arrest and detention…..  so for sake of checking with the embassy and doing a simple form by email I wouldn’t take the chance.

Posted July 25 (edited)

On 7/25/2023 at 9:41 AM,  floridatravelersforlife said: 

Did you apply for the under the Yakkan Shoumei under the gBizID system?  

We are from Canada and did the form online, I don’t recall what system.  I see the US embassy has information on how to do it.  Some information from them:9

Decisions on which medications or prescription drugs can be brought into Japan are made solely by the Japanese Government and subject to control under Japan’s Pharmaceutical Affairs Law.  Many common medications and over-the-counter drugs in the United States are illegal in Japan.  It does not matter if you have a valid U.S. prescription for a medicine/drug which is illegal in Japan:  if you bring it with you, you risk arrest and detention by the Japanese authorities.  The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Japan do not maintain a comprehensive list of prohibited medications or ingredients. Comprehensive information is available only from the Japanese government and is subject to change without notice.  All travelers are encouraged to check before traveling to Japan at  Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare  (MHLW) website, including reviewing FAQ , or to email yakkan@mhlw.go.jp.

Travelers who need to bring more than the MLHW’s approved quantity of medication or medical devices should obtain a “Yunyu Kakunin-sho” (importation certificate) prior to travelling, and present it with the prescription to a customs officer upon arrival in Japan.  Certificate approval by the Japanese government may take several weeks to process and should be received before bringing the medication or medical devices to Japan.

All travelers entering Japan with a prescription medication, including medication that is not restricted in Japan, should consider bringing a copy of their doctor’s prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug.

For more information about bringing medicines into Japan and how to obtain a “Yunyu Kakunin-sho” certificate, please visit the website of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare  and email yakkan@mhlw.go.jp.

When you make your email inquiry to yakkan@mhlw.go.jp, please include the following information:

1. The drug’s active ingredients
  2. The name of the medicine
  3. The dosage and quantity
  4. Your e-mail address
Edited by bennybear

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 3:45 PM, BruceMuzz said:

After living in Japan for over 35 years, frequently travelling into and out of the country, I have never experienced nor heard of anyone ever having any issues with personal medications at the Japan Border.

I am concerned about a prescription I have for a pain killer for my shoulder. Do I need to leave this at home and just deal with the incredible pain while in Japan? I definitely have a prescription and want to do the right thing. 

1 hour ago, floralscent said:

I am concerned about a prescription I have for a pain killer for my shoulder. Do I need to leave this at home and just deal with the incredible pain while in Japan? I definitely have a prescription and want to do the right thing. 

Declare at the customs, worst case scenario is confiscation and buy over the counter pain killer from Japan pharmacy.

3 hours ago, floralscent said:

Just contact the Japanese embassy for the permission  online. 

On 9/24/2023 at 7:53 PM, WA Bubbles said:

We are doing B2B and stopping for a day and getting off for an excursion, would the 30 days restriction still pertain, as well as over the counter medications?  We would not be taking any medications off the ship.

Where are you embarking and disembarking?  If it’s Japan, best to check.  See the embassy info above.  Or you can hope customs will understand that you took the advice of a stranger on this forum🤷‍♀️

Also note custom agents come onboard when arriving from a foreign port, 

so…..

Edited by bennybear

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW

We just arrived/departed Japan and there was no issue with our scripts nor were they analyzed by anyone. 

I had two script bottles but the lady did not seem to care about them nor look at them. She did search our luggage at the port exit but I think she was looking for stuff other than our scripts. 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:08 PM, bennybear said:

Where are you embarking and disembarking?  If it’s Japan, best to check.  See the embassy info above.  Or you can hope customs will understand that you took the advice of a stranger on this forum🤷‍♀️

Also note custom agents come onboard when arriving from a foreign port, 

so…..

I seriously doubt that the customs agents come onboard and rifle through every single cabin to find prescription drugs that tourists have brought along.