Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we just had a disappointing experience in the Crow's Nest, we sat down and no one even came to ask if we wanted anything. After 20 minutes I went up to the bar and asked if it was table service or not, he said there was table service. I said,  well we've been here 20 minutes, I sat back down and the server just kept stocking glasses. We left. We're in the Ocean Bar now, we weren't here 10 seconds and the bartender took our orders. Then about 3 minutes later drinks on the table. I have to admit there are very few people here right now but it wasn't like the Crow's Nest had a steady stream of people flowing in.

You are spot on about the difference in bar service on the Zaandam between the Ocean Bar and the Crows Nest which was also the experience back in May. I agree with what @Mary229 said that the CN and it's staff tend to be like that unless there is an event or Happy Hour going on. There is a reason the Bar Hop they have on the Z starts at the OB and ends up eventually at the CN(for the Orange Party)as the OB staff are not only good but also fun and make it worth it whether you participate or just follow it around the ship.

Edited by Destiny0315
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

You are spot on about the difference in bar service on the Zaandam between the Ocean Bar and the Crows Nest which was also the experience back in May. I agree with what @Mary229 said that the CN and it's staff tend to be like that unless there is an event or Happy Hour going on. There is a reason the Bar Hop they have on the Z starts at the OB and ends up eventually at the CN(for the Orange Party)as the OB staff are not only good but also fun and make it worth it whether you participate or just follow it around the ship.

The Ocean bar my favorite hangout, it is a lot of fun and I don’t even drink most days. The crows nest used to be the late night go to but now it is more like a library.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

True indeed but ‘‘tis not the only difference.

To keep this thread on topic, we will likely be crossing paths this evening as Insignia will port in Halifax tomorrow after a day at sea today.

We are on our way to Newfoundland as I write this,  we slipped Halifax about 15 minutes ago. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The Ocean bar my favorite hangout, it is a lot of fun and I don’t even drink most days. The crows nest used to be the late night go to but now it is more like a library.  

Apparently they have trivia on now 2 sessions then at 2130 hrs it's game night, followed by dance to the hits at 2200 hrs.

It looks like the piano player is finished in ocean bar now and the Ocean Band is off tonight.

The Mix starts the pianos sets at 2030 hrs. 

Apparently the classical duo played in Explorer's Lounge but there is no time listed. They are on the world stage show tonight (BBC Earth...) we'll pass on that.

Actually we did a lot of walking in the pouring rain today so I think we're in our cabin for the rest of the night. Of course we lose another 1/2 hrs over night 😟. It's a sea day tomorrow, lunch at Pinnacle Grill.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are on our way to Newfoundland as I write this,  we slipped Halifax about 15 minutes ago. 

And we’re coming from Newfoundland. I’ll keep an eye out. If you pass a small cruise ship look for me sending you a hello with my flashlight. 🚢 🔦

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we just had a disappointing experience in the Crow's Nest, we sat down and no one even came to ask if we wanted anything. After 20 minutes I went up to the bar and asked if it was table service or not, he said there was table service. I said,  well we've been here 20 minutes, I sat back down and the server just kept stocking glasses. We left...

Unfortunate as it is nice up there. But I've never gotten table service in the Crow's Nest during the day except for Glacier Bay day. If I want a drink, I order it at the bar - order on front side, pick up on back side; same for coffee.

Maybe if you let them know when you walk in that you'd like to order and ask if they'd stop by your table. Granted, if they tell you they have table service, you shouldn't have to do that, but if it gets you a drink and affords you an opportunity to enjoy the views...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Lobster isn’t everywhere though.  It is offered in one or two of the specialty restaurants, which, btw, have no surcharge.

It’s been offered in both specialty restaurants, the Grand Dining Room, Terrace Cafe and even as a sandwich at Waves Grill. Maybe they got a deal as we’re in lobstah country….

• Like 1

So we are under way from Halifax, unfortunately the weather gods were not kind to us it was a rainy blustery day. We did the long walk (over a kilometer) on the boardwalk to get to HMCS Sackville, the last of the WW2 Corvettes. It was worth the walk for me, I'm not sure Lynn would agree. Those interested in Naval history should have a look, admission by donation. The ship is very close to the Martime Museum which was quite interesting and the admission was quite inexpensive. There are several very nice "Builder's Models" of some famous ships, the most impressive is the Mauritania. There is also a small Titanic exhibit.

We didn't get up to the Citadel perhaps someone else on the cruise can post about that. One of our table mates at dinner enjoyed her visit to the immigration museum.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we are under way from Halifax, unfortunately the weather gods were not kind to us it was a rainy blustery day. We did the long walk (over a kilometer) on the boardwalk to get to HMCS Sackville, the last of the WW2 Corvettes. It was worth the walk for me, I'm not sure Lynn would agree. Those interested in Naval history should have a look, admission by donation. The ship is very close to the Martime Museum which was quite interesting and the admission was quite inexpensive. There are several very nice "Builder's Models" of some famous ships, the most impressive is the Mauritania. There is also a small Titanic exhibit.

We didn't get up to the Citadel perhaps someone else on the cruise can post about that. One of our table mates at dinner enjoyed her visit to the immigration museum.

Thanks. We’ll be in Halifax next month

2 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Enjoy your visit, hopefully the weather gods will cooperate with you. There are quite a few food kiosks in the area close to  the Sackville. Unfortunately they don't bother to open in foul weather. The girls at Cows opened though and that ice cream is marvelous, we're looking forward to more ice cream in PEI.  With Dave's lobster closed due to weather I guess the lobster roll thing is another lost opportunity. Oh well 🤔.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It’s been offered in both specialty restaurants, the Grand Dining Room, Terrace Cafe and even as a sandwich at Waves Grill. Maybe they got a deal as we’re in lobstah country….

That's great...enjoy😋

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Unfortunate as it is nice up there. But I've never gotten table service in the Crow's Nest during the day except for Glacier Bay day. If I want a drink, I order it at the bar - order on front side, pick up on back side; same for coffee.

Maybe if you let them know when you walk in that you'd like to order and ask if they'd stop by your table. Granted, if they tell you they have table service, you shouldn't have to do that, but if it gets you a drink and affords you an opportunity to enjoy the views...

Was the same on NA last June. No waiters except for Happy Hour but, for me, no problem walking a few metres to the bar periodically otherwise my knees start to sieze up.😟

38 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

If bar service is the drill then post that at the bar and don't put drink menus on the tables. That cuts down confusion and guests are less likely to feel like they are being ignored or invisible. 

Put the bar menus at the bar until happy hour then take the bar service only sign down and put the menus on the tables. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Shame the weather wasn't kinder. It's a steep walk to the citadel, but well worth it.  The most memorable thing about Halifax for me, apart from the beautiful scenery as you glide further out from the city on leaving, is the history.  The most powerful non-nuclear blast in history when, in 1917, the French carrier Mont Blanc, loaded with explosives and ammunition, collided with another vessel in the harbour, and caught fire.  After drifting abandoned by its crew for 20 minutes, it exploded.  Over 2,000 people killed, many survivors carried life-long injuries, and most homes and buildings were destroyed.  The blackened damage is still visible high up at the citadel.  Really sobering.  I still remember those details from 2008, when we sailed on Norwegian Jewel.  I remember the beauty of that region so vividly.  I know Lyle and Lyn will really enjoy this cruise to this beautiful part of our world.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

If bar service is the drill then post that at the bar and don't put drink menus on the tables. That cuts down confusion and guests are less likely to feel like they are being ignored or invisible. 

Put the bar menus at the bar until happy hour then take the bar service only sign down and put the menus on the tables. 

Perhaps the waiters don't want to accidentally wake up the people taking an afternoon nap. 

• Haha 8

I can add the immigration museum was time very well spent - it needs about 90 minutes and is very nicely done.  Also had best dinner on the boat so far - by getting the lobster, which was presented very nicely with excellent accompaniments.  As mentioned above though, it's all gone a bit rock and roll tonight so quite thankful we're on Dolphin Deck!  Cabin 1822 is very comfortable, very quiet, and located close to front stairwell/elevators (no noise issues being near those either).

• Like 5

Personally, I think Lobster is overrated, sometimes it is dry and sometimes it is bland and only thing that saves it both times is the garlic butter. A few times it has been nice.  Most often on ships it is just lobster tail anyway. I would rather a balmain bug or Moreton Bay bug or even tiger prawns.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Personally, I think Lobster is overrated, sometimes it is dry and sometimes it is bland and only thing that saves it both times is the garlic butter. A few times it has been nice.  Most often on ships it is just lobster tail anyway. I would rather a balmain bug or Moreton Bay bug or even tiger prawns.

But Mic we're in the wrong neighborhood for that 🤔

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

But Mic we're in the wrong neighborhood for that 🤔

When I was up there last year they did offer a Yankee seafood boil one day as a special lido offering.  I don’t recall if there were lobster tails with certainty. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

When I was up there last year they did offer a Yankee seafood boil one day as a special lido offering.  I don’t recall if there were lobster tails with certainty. 

Just to you know, Mic is talking about crustaceans he enjoys from the land down under. I have seen the lobster that is served for an additional fee here on the ship. It was a whole Atlantic lobster and I hope the recipient enjoyed it.